Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Burning oil. Bad.

  1. #1
    Noob
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Age
    19
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Burning oil. Bad.

    Title says it all, 2004 2.3L Mazda 3 GS 5 speed manual, 240,000 kms. No leakage, black burnt oil, changed every 3000kms, oil filter housing appears to be perfectly fine.

    Did an oil change just the other day, 2L out "tops" maybe less, 5L in. I'm burning ALOT of oil. No luck on finding a cause so far. What do you guys recommend?

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Noob
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Age
    19
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Burning oil. Bad.

    Coolant is perfect in colour by the way, forgot to add that.

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,324
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 139 Times in 92 Posts
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Burning oil. Bad.

    Double post!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,324
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 139 Times in 92 Posts
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Burning oil. Bad.

    Check you PCV on your crank case, it may have pooched itself and is stuck open. Not the most fun to access but the part itself is cheap.

    This would cause you to burn lots of oil if it's stuck open. @LinkinEffect

  5. #5
    Noob
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Age
    19
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Burning oil. Bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by pwdunmore View Post
    Double post!
    I apologise, is that against the rules? I'll know for next time.

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Noob
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Age
    19
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Burning oil. Bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by pwdunmore View Post
    Check you PCV on your crank case, it may have pooched itself and is stuck open. Not the most fun to access but the part itself is cheap.

    This would cause you to burn lots of oil if it's stuck open. @LinkinEffect
    Will look into it, thank you! Could anything else cause the oil to burn? I've also heard the Piston rings?

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Sr Member Flagrum_3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    6,013
    Thanks
    318
    Thanked 287 Times in 229 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Burning oil. Bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by LinkinEffect View Post
    Will look into it, thank you! Could anything else cause the oil to burn? I've also heard the Piston rings?

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    If it was your rings you'd be seeing blue smoke out of the exhaust, and with the amount your going through most definitely smell it.

    If you've found no leaks and your coolant is clear there's only two other options your valve seals or PCV valve, and I would suggest your PCV to be the culprit.


    _3

  8. #8
    Noob
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Age
    19
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Burning oil. Bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    If it was your rings you'd be seeing blue smoke out of the exhaust, and with the amount your going through most definitely smell it.

    If you've found no leaks and your coolant is clear there's only two other options your valve seals or PCV valve, and I would suggest your PCV to be the culprit.


    _3
    Will give it a go, no sign of blue smoke so I guess that's a good sign! The car runs pretty clean actually, no exhaust smoke at all.

    Thanks

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,324
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 139 Times in 92 Posts
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Burning oil. Bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by LinkinEffect View Post
    I apologise, is that against the rules? I'll know for next time.

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    You didn't double post my browser did so I deleted my double post.

    Keep looking for the issue, search for oil residue in the intake manifold for a bad PCV valve. There would be a considerable amount not just a fine misting, if the valve is bad.

  10. #10
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    East GTA
    Ride
    2010 M3 GX Sport
    Posts
    442
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Burning oil. Bad.

    The 2004/2005 were famous for burning oil in the 2.3L engine. My 2005 burned oil at a rate of 1L per every 1,000km so I always had a jug of motor oil in the trunk and checked oil frequently and topped up when required. No oil leak on the driveway and no smoke out the tail pipe.

  11. #11
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,296
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 53 Times in 36 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Burning oil. Bad.

    the true cause of the problem is running piss thin 5W20 oil... switch to 5W30 like what's used in Europe, and it takes care of the problem... on a high mileage motor, it has worn down due to running the thin oil, so running 30 weight oil won't stop the burning but slow it down
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

  12. #12
    Noob
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Age
    19
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Burning oil. Bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    the true cause of the problem is running piss thin 5W20 oil... switch to 5W30 like what's used in Europe, and it takes care of the problem... on a high mileage motor, it has worn down due to running the thin oil, so running 30 weight oil won't stop the burning but slow it down
    I'm already running 5W30,

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,296
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 53 Times in 36 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Burning oil. Bad.

    If you bought your car used, it likely would have worn down already due to using the 5W20 oil and using 5W30 only helps marginally

  14. #14
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 23 Times in 22 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Burning oil. Bad.

    Try substituting 500mL of Lucas Oil Stabilizer (Canadian Tire) in every oil change. It has worked wonders on many engines in my life.

Similar Threads

  1. Burning Oil
    By gularti in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-01-2012, 06:28 PM
  2. Burning Oil
    By mazdaagain in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-30-2011, 01:06 PM
  3. burning smell from sub?
    By thanu31 in forum I.C.E (In-Car Entertainment)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-11-2010, 01:05 AM
  4. ... Is something burning?
    By towelsnap in forum Pictures and Videos
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-02-2009, 07:48 AM
  5. DVD burning questions
    By Dr Butcher in forum General Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-14-2004, 02:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •