Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Plate relocate on the 2017 Mazda 3!

  1. #1
    Noob
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Plate relocate on the 2017 Mazda 3!

    hey guys, so I relocated my license plate to the tow hook hole and im really pleased with it! this is the 2017 Mazda 3, the tow hole is on the left for the facelifts whereas the 2014-2016 mazda3 have the tow hole on the right. let me know what you guys think! pictures don't do justice.

    Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shabbir3GT For This Useful Post:

    minsanity (06-17-2017)

  3. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Guelph
    Ride
    Mazda B-2300
    Posts
    209
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Plate relocate on the 2017 Mazda 3!

    Nice looks good! I made my own plate relocater using a bolt the same size\ thread as the toe hook.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to 2012mazda3hatch For This Useful Post:

    Shabbir3GT (06-08-2017)

  5. #3
    Noob
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Plate relocate on the 2017 Mazda 3!

    Quote Originally Posted by 2012mazda3hatch View Post
    Nice looks good! I made my own plate relocater using a bolt the same size\ thread as the toe hook.
    was going to attempt at making my own but didn't have the time haha

    Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

  6. #4
    Noob rockbottom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    45
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Plate relocate on the 2017 Mazda 3!

    Quote Originally Posted by 2012mazda3hatch View Post
    Nice looks good! I made my own plate relocater using a bolt the same size\ thread as the toe hook.
    I just installed new grilles and Im thinking to put my plate on the same place.. What's the size of the bolt for the toe hook?

  7. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Guelph
    Ride
    Mazda B-2300
    Posts
    209
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Plate relocate on the 2017 Mazda 3!

    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    I just installed new grilles and Im thinking to put my plate on the same place.. What's the size of the bolt for the toe hook?
    My 2012 was 3/4x 6" long... I think it was a metric bolt, but 3/4 worked. I drilled a hole with a 5/16 drill bit, then used a taping device to make it into a 3/8ths thread. From there I used a small 3/8 bolt and it worked great. I'll post a pic in a bit.

  8. #6
    Newbie Milan96's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    229
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 27 Times in 18 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Plate relocate on the 2017 Mazda 3!

    Quote Originally Posted by 2012mazda3hatch View Post
    My 2012 was 3/4x 6" long... I think it was a metric bolt, but 3/4 worked. I drilled a hole with a 5/16 drill bit, then used a taping device to make it into a 3/8ths thread. From there I used a small 3/8 bolt and it worked great. I'll post a pic in a bit.
    Please do. Looking to do this on my 2012

  9. #7
    Noob
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 32 Times in 11 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Plate relocate on the 2017 Mazda 3!

    Grats on the towhook DIY! Another option is to put it in the middle....

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to minsanity For This Useful Post:

    Shabbir3GT (06-20-2017)

  11. #8
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,292
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 53 Times in 36 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Plate relocate on the 2017 Mazda 3!

    there's kits you can buy online with the correct METRIC bolt
    don't go destroying your threads with home depot imperial bolts because you want the quick and cheap way to do this... when you need a tow, you'll find out your METRIC tow hook won't go in because of screwed up threads!

    there's also a "no drill" plate relocate bracket that snaps in place at the bottom centre part of the bumper, but that might affect cooling somewhat
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

  12. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Guelph
    Ride
    Mazda B-2300
    Posts
    209
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Plate relocate on the 2017 Mazda 3!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    there's kits you can buy online with the correct METRIC bolt
    don't go destroying your threads with home depot imperial bolts because you want the quick and cheap way to do this... when you need a tow, you'll find out your METRIC tow hook won't go in because of screwed up threads!

    there's also a "no drill" plate relocate bracket that snaps in place at the bottom centre part of the bumper, but that might affect cooling somewhat
    I'm aware it's metric, my metric toe hook doesn't spin in. I've tried filing the threads and cleaning out the inside of the townhook, so the 3/4 is just a hair smaller, I didn't have to force it, i spun it with my hand the whole way. No way of cross threading it.

  13. #10
    Noob dope3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Plate relocate on the 2017 Mazda 3!

    Awesome! Looks so clean

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to dope3 For This Useful Post:

    Shabbir3GT (06-28-2017)

  15. #11
    Noob rockbottom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    45
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Plate relocate on the 2017 Mazda 3!

    I ended up using 2 wall hinges and put them together with nylon screws.. Turns out to be more sturdy than I thought.. Sitting there for a week now and its holding pretty good..



  16. #12
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,292
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 53 Times in 36 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Plate relocate on the 2017 Mazda 3!

    I hope you realise that those "wall hinges" are going to rust in no time because they aren't plated very well
    Even using the tow hook hole isn't a great idea either because water will get inside the hole and rust out the threads

    best to hunt down something stainless steel or just buy the snap on plastic plate relocate kit made for the car

  17. #13
    Noob rockbottom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    45
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Plate relocate on the 2017 Mazda 3!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    I hope you realise that those "wall hinges" are going to rust in no time because they aren't plated very well
    Even using the tow hook hole isn't a great idea either because water will get inside the hole and rust out the threads

    best to hunt down something stainless steel or just buy the snap on plastic plate relocate kit made for the car
    Its brass and I painted it..

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to rockbottom For This Useful Post:

    TheMAN (06-29-2017)

  19. #14
    Noob
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 32 Times in 11 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Plate relocate on the 2017 Mazda 3!


    + This....

    Equals...

Similar Threads

  1. Achilles Mazda 2017 Toronto Mazda 3 partnership
    By S.F.W. in forum Achilles Mazda
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2017, 08:47 PM
  2. 2017 Mazda CX-4
    By Captain Mazda in forum Other Cars
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-12-2016, 12:17 AM
  3. Time for a plate relocate
    By sw33tb3rry in forum Mazda3 General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-16-2014, 11:01 PM
  4. Relocate the License plate
    By yearoftherat in forum Exterior Styling & Appearance
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 03:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •