Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a Mazdaspeed3 with 250000km, is it a good idea?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Looking to buy a Mazdaspeed3 with 250000km, is it a good idea?

First time posting please bear with me.

So I have been looking for a mazdaspeed3 for sometime now; I found one that was relatively cheap but needs some minor work to get it on the road; not particularly cheap repairs but decent when you factor in the asking price. Now the car needs a rearwindsheild (speedyglass quoted $540 with labour), fix a broken headlight (not bulb, might be the socket or the ballast) that stuff is needed for safety. I will need set of summer tires and maybe new wheels because the car is sitting on winters now. These repairs Im ok with but the vechile is high milege (250k) which Im worried about, I cant say what problems might arise in the soon future; rust is expected but how about the engine and clutch and more expensive issues. Do first gen speed3's last that long; what should I expect to get out this car.

Now the seller is fine with taking the car to the mechanic and having it checked out; but is there anything I should look out for when I go to see the car this weekend. Any obervable signs I should know of, anything I should know getting into this. I was hoping someone does have experience with speed3's with this many km's.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Looking to buy a Mazdaspeed3 with 250000km, is it a good idea?

I forgot to mention the car is 2008 Mazdaspeed 3, and again it has about 250000km.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how much is a good price?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

asking is $3500 cdn; I think that pretty good considering better condition car of the same make is around 4000-5000.

Ride
    Vixxxen
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by syasar View Post
    First time posting please bear with me.

So I have been looking for a mazdaspeed3 for sometime now; I found one that was relatively cheap but needs some minor work to get it on the road; not particularly cheap repairs but decent when you factor in the asking price. Now the car needs a rearwindsheild (speedyglass quoted $540 with labour), fix a broken headlight (not bulb, might be the socket or the ballast) that stuff is needed for safety. I will need set of summer tires and maybe new wheels because the car is sitting on winters now. These repairs Im ok with but the vechile is high milege (250k) which Im worried about, I cant say what problems might arise in the soon future; rust is expected but how about the engine and clutch and more expensive issues. Do first gen speed3's last that long; what should I expect to get out this car.

Now the seller is fine with taking the car to the mechanic and having it checked out; but is there anything I should look out for when I go to see the car this weekend. Any obervable signs I should know of, anything I should know getting into this. I was hoping someone does have experience with speed3's with this many km's.

It might help to tell us where you saw it as there have been a few put up for sale that members have already found out were not as the seller described...someone may have actual info on the one you are interested in.
    My Parents bought me more Hot Wheels than Barbies when I was little...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I would buy the same car but not that one that's cheaper, I'd rather spend 500$ more and know that it is in good condition, but with a car with that many kms on it lots of stuff is gonna wear out. If 5000 is your max price range I'd look into a newer regular 3, not the speed3

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

compression test first and foremost. I am willing to wager that at least 1 clyinder if not multiple have low compression.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S.F.W. For This Useful Post:

Mr Wilson (06-10-2017),Reddie1337 (06-10-2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the car is being sold in Mississauga, its black and has a broken rearshield, is that enough to id he car. Not sure if I should be posting the link.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S.F.W. View Post
    compression test first and foremost. I am willing to wager that at least 1 clyinder if not multiple have low compression.
    well actually the maybe this might provide some insight one of the slave clyinders was replaced in 2013; could that mean anything. The seller did provide a list of repairs done to the car through the years. There was the following repairs
    -ac, condenser, idler pulley, tensioner pulley, sepentine belt 2016
    -swat bar brushing and endlinks 2015
    -slave cylinder 2013
    -idle air control 2014

do those detail help a little bit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well actually the maybe this might provide some insight one of the slave clyinders was replaced in 2013; could that mean anything. The seller did provide a list of repairs done to the car through the years. There was the following repairs
    -ac, condenser, idler pulley, tensioner pulley, sepentine belt 2016
    -swat bar brushing and endlinks 2015
    -slave cylinder 2013
    -idle air control 2014

do those detail help a little bit.
    The slave cylinder refers to brakes. I am referring to the engine itself. If you are serious, I would highly recommend a compression test, and perhaps full leak down test. I would be very surprised if their were no engine or turbo issues.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O sorry, i will get more information on engine and definatly going to get that compression test before anything else thank you for your help

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S.F.W. View Post
    The slave cylinder refers to brakes. I am referring to the engine itself. If you are serious, I would highly recommend a compression test, and perhaps full leak down test. I would be very surprised if their were no engine or turbo issues.
    Slave cylinder would most likely be the clutch slave, the brakes don't have a slave cylinder on these cars. I would also recommend a compression test.

I bought my car with 140K on it, and I got lucky that all the compression numbers were extremely close to perfect, but not all Speed3's are the same.

Current: 2012 Mazdaspeed3 Tech CWP
    Mods to Date:
    Custom Halo headlights, DRL delete, Kenwood DNX890HD, Kenwood KFC-3009 x2(12"), Kenwood 1800Watt Amp, LED interior lights, LED switchbacks, LED fogs.
    Previous:2012 Mazda 3 Sky-GS in CWP, 2012 16W Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2010 CWP Mazda 3 GT Hatchback SOLD, 2009 Metropolitan Grey Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2007 Carbon Grey Mica Mazda 3 GS Hatch SOLD

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Reddie1337 For This Useful Post:

shift8 (06-10-2017)

Ride
    Toyota Highlander Limited
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reddie1337 View Post
    Slave cylinder would most likely be the clutch slave, the brakes don't have a slave cylinder on these cars. I would also recommend a compression test.

I bought my car with 140K on it, and I got lucky that all the compression numbers were extremely close to perfect, but not all Speed3's are the same.
    That is very lucky. As far as I can tell, every gen1 is going to eventually end up with a low cylinder 3 compression due to cracked ringlands, due to terrible air distribution by our intake manifolds.

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk
    2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3, CWP
    Forged internals + GTX2871r
    // Build thread // Instagram: @sleepy.ms3

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shift8 View Post
    That is very lucky. As far as I can tell, every gen1 is going to eventually end up with a low cylinder 3 compression due to cracked ringlands, due to terrible air distribution by our intake manifolds.

Well, mine is the 2012, bit different, but higher mileage. I'm at 180 now, and I did a compression test a couple months ago, and it was still right at spec. Like 186 across the board.

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reddie1337 View Post
    Well, mine is the 2012, bit different, but higher mileage. I'm at 180 now, and I did a compression test a couple months ago, and it was still right at spec. Like 186 across the board.
    Ah yes 2010+ were built a little better

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick Update: So i got a chance to take a look at the car, the owner was a straight up guy and gave me as much information as he could. I checked the registration and id'ed him; however the car was under his mother name; last names matched up, no brand. He not a scammer or dealer of sort he doesnt need the car anymore cause he got a new car. Now things that I noticed about the car...

Good
    -engine look good and runs well no noticable hiccups, got a chance to drive in the car
    -no signs of a blown head gasket or an leak in the engine comparment or the underside
    -no check engine light, checked with a OBD2 scanner as well no pending codes
    -transmisson seems strong
    -decent wear on the car
    - the car was cared for and regularly maintained
    - owner was nice and willing to get the car checked out by a mechanic
    - minimal rust on the car
    - no accident damage any where on the car
    - everything seems fine on the dash

BAD
    - the owner said he wanted a first to make the car a "projecct car", maybe hint there are more problem he hasnt mentioned
    - the car has been sitting around for a few week (about 2 weeks)
    - the car doesn't start the battery seems to be drained or shoot; we had to boost the car to get it going, might have been sitting for longer than he said
    - Light Grey smoke from the tailpipe very minimal but noticable, thought it was just water vapor at first but the car still smoked after the test drive (the owner said it was carbon built up)
    - one of the rear passsenger power windows does not function
    - one headlight doesnt work might be expensive ballast replacement

Now the smoke form the tailpipe is quite concerning if it wasnt for that I would be very satisfied with the car, battery is not a big concern. Now he said the smoke is form carbon build up; i assume he means it because the car hasnt been driven in a awhile. What else could it be are car that have been sitting for a few weeks prone to the battery being drained and smoke coming from the exhaust. Im doubtful I will go through with a full $150 vechile inspection with the smoke; but a just compression test would that be worth it. The smoke definately isnt burning oil it was very light and every little smoke only when he reved the car parked. Generally speaking should smoke big red flag, I probably should just move on. But I liked to get your guys opinon; honestly aside form the smoke I was tempted to get it inspected and make an offer. What to do you guys think?

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick Update: So i got a chance to take a look at the car, the owner was a straight up guy and gave me as much information as he could. I checked the registration and id'ed him; however the car was under his mother name; last names matched up, no brand. He not a scammer or dealer of sort he doesnt need the car anymore cause he got a new car. Now things that I noticed about the car...

Good
    -engine look good and runs well no noticable hiccups, got a chance to drive in the car
    -no signs of a blown head gasket or an leak in the engine comparment or the underside
    -no check engine light, checked with a OBD2 scanner as well no pending codes
    -transmisson seems strong
    -decent wear on the car
    - the car was cared for and regularly maintained
    - owner was nice and willing to get the car checked out by a mechanic
    - minimal rust on the car
    - no accident damage any where on the car
    - everything seems fine on the dash

BAD
    - the owner said he wanted a first to make the car a "projecct car", maybe hint there are more problem he hasnt mentioned
    - the car has been sitting around for a few week (about 2 weeks)
    - the car doesn't start the battery seems to be drained or shoot; we had to boost the car to get it going, might have been sitting for longer than he said
    - Light Grey smoke from the tailpipe very minimal but noticable, thought it was just water vapor at first but the car still smoked after the test drive (the owner said it was carbon built up)
    - one of the rear passsenger power windows does not function
    - one headlight doesnt work might be expensive ballast replacement

Now the smoke form the tailpipe is quite concerning if it wasnt for that I would be very satisfied with the car, battery is not a big concern. Now he said the smoke is form carbon build up; i assume he means it because the car hasnt been driven in a awhile. What else could it be are car that have been sitting for a few weeks prone to the battery being drained and smoke coming from the exhaust. Im doubtful I will go through with a full $150 vechile inspection with the smoke; but a just compression test would that be worth it. The smoke definately isnt burning oil it was very light and every little smoke only when he reved the car parked. Generally speaking should smoke big red flag, I probably should just move on. But I liked to get your guys opinon; honestly aside form the smoke I was tempted to get it inspected and make an offer. What to do you guys think?
    Means new turbo required.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to shift8 For This Useful Post:

S.F.W. (06-11-2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know I had the obd2 scanner plugged in I should have checked the boost while we test drived it; Im still probably still gonna pass but is white pulses of smoke a clear indication of a faulty turbo. It just want to find out in case it comes about when Im looking at other car.

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know I had the obd2 scanner plugged in I should have checked the boost while we test drived it; Im still probably still gonna pass but is white pulses of smoke a clear indication of a faulty turbo. It just want to find out in case it comes about when Im looking at other car.
    Turbo still likely providing boost, its just got faulty seals and burning oil.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Light grey smoke is typically "normal". ...Just look at every car running out there. Most MS3s will show black smoke as they are running rich, but not all do.

OP; The few minor things you mentioned you found wrong are just that, minor. You'd be hard-pressed to find a vehicle that age without issues.

The no start is a non issue as the vehicle was sitting for a while and could simply need a battery replacement.

In my opinion, its worth the cost to have it inspected "properly" by a mechanic.

_3

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    Light grey smoke is typically "normal". ...Just look at every car running out there. Most MS3s will show black smoke as they are running rich, but not all do.

OP; The few minor things you mentioned you found wrong are just that, minor. You'd be hard-pressed to find a vehicle that age without issues.

The no start is a non issue as the vehicle was sitting for a while and could simply need a battery replacement.

In my opinion, its worth the cost to have it inspected "properly" by a mechanic.

_3
    I've never noticed my gen1 smoking at all. Maybe water vapor on cold days but that's about it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post

_3
    The reason why the smoke worries me is because it only happens when the the car is coming out of idle; and form research what i have found is the turbo is usually not draining oil well enough. And that a costly turbo replacement. Now for the years and the miles the car has it is in very good shape. I would buy the car if the turbo was in good shape, i simply cannot afford to have the turbo replaced.

In respect of old car i fully agree with you i dont mind doing all the other things the car needs, they are fair for the age of the car.

Now I would get an inspection but I dont want to waste the owners time as he would need to make arrangment form work. If there the likely turbo issue or any engine issue, im not sure i can give him an offer. Would it be fair to ask him to do that for me?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not trying to be a hater here, but you should buy something more relailabe if your worried about spending more money. What happens when you buy the car, and it runs fine, but then in 6 months something breaks because of its age. Sometimes we want to fit in, and have the nicer cars, but to me knowing I can make from point A to B is much more satisfying then driving a sporty old car that who knows when it will break down. Just my 2 cents. Also consider the cost of insurance going up with the speed. Trust me, I wanted to buy a speed as well, but for how much more they were, plus more kilometres, it made sense for me to buy a regular 3
    Last edited by 2012mazda3hatch; 06-12-2017 at 05:46 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to 2012mazda3hatch For This Useful Post:

shift8 (06-12-2017)

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frankly, the speed platform just isn't cheap. You have to be willing to spend the money. Gotta pay to play, as they say.

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Btw don't take what I say as a negative against the platform. There is really stupid potential with full out builds. They aren't that cheap but you can go crazy horsepower nearly "off the shelf" and even mild upgrades makes it quite a bit of fun, and daily reliable.

But when you *do* need to fix or replace parts they are generally more expensive than many alternatives.

You just have to be aware of what you're getting yourself into before you get too far. Having clear goals and so sticking to them makes for a better overall experience.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shift8 For This Useful Post:

2012mazda3hatch (06-12-2017),syasar (06-13-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast