Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Rust after Exotik Wrapz roof wrap

I had my roof wrapped on April 4th, 2015. A few months later I noticed an orange discolouration on top of the vinyl which I mistook for a sap stain, since I used to park under trees a lot back then. There was no warping or textured feel to it so I wasn't concerned.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago when a friend who happens to be a metallurgist caught a glimpse of it and said it's most likely rust. That same spot now has a textured feel to it and I'm afraid he's right. I didn't have any scratches or dents on the roof prior to installation and I'm sure Exotik Wrapz would have notified me if I had rust on the roof to begin with. This leads me to believe the problem started during or after the roof wrap. I emailed them a week ago and haven't had a single reply so now I'm posting here.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rust after Exotik Wrapz roof wrap

Was there a chip to the wrap? It's going to to hard to proof that the vendor did any damage now since it was done 2015. From 2015 - 2017 anything could've happened, ie stone chip on the roof.

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not exactly a vulnerable spot for chips, it's further towards the rear window where the roof slopes down. I always keep an eye on potential chips and scratches and fix them right away, never saw any issues with the roof. If something did impact it hard enough to affect the paint underneath, it would've damaged the vinyl too. There were never any chips or cuts on it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well you can go back to them and see what they can do for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Mazda View Post
    It's not exactly a vulnerable spot for chips, it's further towards the rear window where the roof slopes down. I always keep an eye on potential chips and scratches and fix them right away, never saw any issues with the roof. If something did impact it hard enough to affect the paint underneath, it would've damaged the vinyl too. There were never any chips or cuts on it.

Ride
    Vixxxen
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Text msg is key with them. I know that the main contact person was heading to BC for a bit so that might be why you haven't heard back yet
    My Parents bought me more Hot Wheels than Barbies when I was little...

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Nat, I'll try texting.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't see how the wrap could of caused this...

if it was on an edge and it was caused by a knife mark/scratch, the fine.. but to be right in the middle, the only thing a wrap company does is wipe and clean that area and lay the vinyl down... you either had a chip there prior, or rust prior and it expanded... nothing to do with the wrap IMO.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also your car is already 6 years old, mazdas are known to rust randomly.... my 12 has a few spots starting underneath and one random spot in the door jam, just like yours.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trance|ghost View Post
    Don't see how the wrap could of caused this...

if it was on an edge and it was caused by a knife mark/scratch, the fine.. but to be right in the middle, the only thing a wrap company does is wipe and clean that area and lay the vinyl down... you either had a chip there prior, or rust prior and it expanded... nothing to do with the wrap IMO.
    Actually wrapping a car could cause existing rust to advance rapidly, as it may hold in moisture. I would assume he probably already had a slight chip in the area and covering the area with wrap only increased the rusting issue. imho.

_3

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The newer materials apparently have water channels to help expel moisture.

Chances are - whoever wrapped this - used cheaper or older vinyl

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I installed rain guards outside their shop while waiting for my appointment and thoroughly inspected the roof. Didn't notice anything odd and I'm guessing neither did the wrappers.

my 12 has a few spots starting underneath and one random spot in the door jam, just like yours.
    I don't have a bunch of rust spots like you, so I'd wager I'm taking better care of my car.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Default User View Post
    The newer materials apparently have water channels to help expel moisture.

Chances are - whoever wrapped this - used cheaper or older vinyl
    Channels help the vinyl breath, therefore allowing moisture to evaporate quicker and more thoroughly. But even the best advanced wrap will still retain moisture longer, then with no wrap at all. That is what I'm saying.

_3

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Flagrum_3 For This Useful Post:

Default User (07-01-2017)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Because I don't take care of my car. those who know me know how I keep my stuff pretty tidy.

so before you try to act all high and mighty and better then me (because you "take care of your car better then me") take it as some advice... I've been in the wrap and tint game for a long time, and again... wrapping in the MIDDLE of a spot like that won't cause rust, and depending on the material it should NOT cause it to spread more.. unless you cheaped out on the material and used print vinyl that doesn't breath like 100 percent of auto vinyls.

you had a chip there prior and mazda is known not to have the greatest metals, it rusted over time.. without a wrap it probably would do the exact same thing, regardless of the vinyl.

the only way a wrap shop would cause something to rust is if they are using blades for there cuts against the car and cut through the vinyl, I've seen alot of sketchy shops do this and rust form from it, which I originally thought when I opened this thread! this is not the case, good luck trying to get the wrap shop to pay for the rust repair.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to trance|ghost For This Useful Post:

Mazdy (07-01-2017)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, I've worked with one of the best local wrap shops in the area...

not often you get to wrap a hakasuka in matt pearl white.

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Because I don't take care of my car. those who know me know how I keep my stuff pretty tidy.

so before you try to act all high and mighty and better then me (because you "take care of your car better then me") take it as some advice... I've been in the wrap and tint game for a long time, and again... wrapping in the MIDDLE of a spot like that won't cause rust, and depending on the material it should NOT cause it to spread more.. unless you cheaped out on the material and used print vinyl that doesn't breath like 100 percent of auto vinyls.

you had a chip there prior and mazda is known not to have the greatest metals, it rusted over time.. without a wrap it probably would do the exact same thing, regardless of the vinyl.

the only way a wrap shop would cause something to rust is if they are using blades for there cuts against the car and cut through the vinyl, I've seen alot of sketchy shops do this and rust form from it, which I originally thought when I opened this thread! this is not the case, good luck trying to get the wrap shop to pay for the rust repair.
    1. You said you have a bunch of random rust spots on your 2012, I don't. Sounds like I've taken better care of my car than you. I'd also wager my paint looks way better than yours.

2. You don't know what the situation is or what my intentions are. I'm posting here to get the wrappers' attention, not yours. What happens beyond is between me and them, you have no involvement or say in the matter.

3. You don't know if there was a chip there beforehand, you don't drive my car and have never seen my roof. You were also not there when I took my car to get wrapped.

4. Go be offended somewhere else.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any updates? Did you call them or visit them?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. You said you have a bunch of random rust spots on your 2012, I don't. Sounds like I've taken better care of my car than you. I'd also wager my paint looks way better than yours.

2. You don't know what the situation is or what my intentions are. I'm posting here to get the wrappers' attention, not yours. What happens beyond is between me and them, you have no involvement or say in the matter.

3. You don't know if there was a chip there beforehand, you don't drive my car and have never seen my roof. You were also not there when I took my car to get wrapped.

4. Go be offended somewhere else.
    1 - Probably, as I got the car used 6 months ago, I'm sure if I got it new and owned it since day one that be another story.... but hey thats cool man I focus more on making more power!

2 - I don't know what the situation is? you came onto a forum and pretty much explained the situation and looking for suggestions.. this opens the door for positive and negative suggestions, take both... also don't take the internet so seriously. if you don't want advice or suggestions.. then don't tell us what the situation is, and if you want the "wrappers" attention..... then maybe instead of trying to talk bad about a business, contact him/her directly before asking randoms.

3 - sounds like you don't know if there was a chip there as well, I may have not of been there, but I know how car wrapping works and how most wrap shops run

4 - very

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonsMazda View Post
    Any updates? Did you call them or visit them?
    Got a text from Harpreet a few days ago, he said they'd get back to me.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got a text from Harpreet a few days ago, he said they'd get back to me.
    Be prepared to be disappointed, I can't see how the wrapper could be held responsible for rust in that area,. It appears to be right in the centre of the roof not an area where the vinyl would need to be cut, so they wouldn't be using a knife there. However you might just luck out.

Pat.

2010 Mazda3 GT Sport..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sube View Post
    Be prepared to be disappointed, I can't see how the wrapper could be held responsible for rust in that area,. It appears to be right in the centre of the roof not an area where the vinyl would need to be cut, so they wouldn't be using a knife there. However you might just luck out.

Pat.
    Agreed. Its going to be hard to prove they did the damage.

The only reason I could see that there might be rust forming in the middle of the roof (other than possible previous stone chip) is if the installer 'poked' an air bubble with his knife or pin during installation and went deep into paint, but if he was any good he wouldn't have done that.