Thread: Weird engine noise when accelerating car

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Weird engine noise when accelerating car

So I recently bought a used 2006 Mazda3 2.3L GT Manual, now I am new to driving stick but I think I have gotten pretty good at it. Now after really understanding who to drive the car I know what the car should sound like. Just recently I noticed that my car has been making a really sound when I press on the gas a little hard not like a noise a regular engine should make something more rattly and kind of like a constance clicking noise. The car does this also when accelerating in neutral. Also I am not sure but i think it stop or maybe I can hear it when the rpm's get higher than around 4000rpm.

I am really worried now, I did not drop a crazy amount of money on the car but not dirt cheap on car. I cant afford to blow my motor. I cant beileve I did not notice it when I test drove the car. I bought the car "as is" and had it safieted already. I did not even fill up the tank once yet and I noticed this now.

Can anyone please help me find out what the problem is and what I should be looking for, Im going to take it to the mechanic as soon as I can which should be in 2 to 3 days. What should I do in the mean time is there anything I should look into.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Weird engine noise when accelerating car

Any exhaust leak? Could be the Pistons your hearing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@LinkinEffect You know thats what I though it maybe, because for the most part I hear it form the back; really if its an exhaust issue I could sleep at night. Do engines make noises like that normally, are noises that lead to blown motor really loud alarming, the noise I here is like crazy its just not ordinary to me.
    Im really worried by engine is going to blow or something, I do not know what to expect it is my very first car. Im new to learning about car and manual even more so. Up until now I only have driven my fathers car which is a 2010 hyundai; and has no major problems drives really smoothly and its a automatic. I really do not know what cars are supposed to sound like or how cars in general behave. Its not a loud scary noise, its like a quite clicking or rattle like if you were to put a something like a straw in a fan while it spining and noise of the blade hitting the straw constantly is what I think it kinda of sounds like; the sound kind of tell the car is working. Im getting worried becuase I read in some places that sound like ticking, rattling or clicks has lead to blown motors.

However it is very faint when I shut the windows, I have not notice it till now because I have been driving the car with the AC on lately as he have a couple of really hot days. Really I only hear it clearly when everything is off and the windows are down, and really faintly when the car is windows are up. The car does not make the same noise on idle nor does the the car have a rocky start. I had my father in the car he said he heard nothing out of the ordinary, may I am just over thinking this.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Video for us or a mechanic...both will be useful.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So as I was driving I got a chance to record the sound it is in the link below. At first, after I pull out of first gear you can very faintly hear the ratting, but after @ around 8 sec, I push gently on the gas and you can really hear it. It really only can be heard on a gently gas or lower rpms. We both felt as if the sound was coming form behind us or right below.

https://youtu.be/9_0qz92TomM

FYI the windows where rolled down completely and ac and anything that could cause noise was off.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by syasar View Post
    So as I was driving I got a chance to record the sound it is in the link below. At first, after I pull out of first gear you can very faintly hear the ratting, but after @ around 8 sec, I push gently on the gas and you can really hear it. It really only can be heard on a gently gas or lower rpms. We both felt as if the sound was coming form behind us or right below.

https://youtu.be/9_0qz92TomM

FYI the windows where rolled down completely and ac and anything that could cause noise was off.
    Sounds like a slight exhaust leak, if I'm picking up on the right noise.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    Sounds like a slight exhaust leak, if I'm picking up on the right noise.

_3
    Yea its really not a noise i hear form the engine, im hoping it is just a exhaust leak taking it to the shop tommrow, fingers crossed.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update:

So I went to a mechanic today (a local active green), they recommended I do an oil change which I did and it did not fix the issue. They think it is an engine problem but they do not know exactly what. Theu told me to keep an eye on the oil and make sure I am not leaking or burning any. I really dont agree with the diagnose as I really can find any reason to think the car is burning oil, I will check for it but Im really not in agreement with what they are saying; not even sure if they pinpoint the exact sound I was talking about.

Now something new I notice while I was at a drive thru today, was a squeal or grindling noise, sounded like a pulley or drive belt, it came on for awhile and went away; is it common for those be worn out and cause noise only when the car is coming out of idle, because if so that might be the problem.

I thinking I am going to take it elsewhere to have the car checked out, I have a couple of choices I could go to the shop the previous owner went to with the car and recconmended, or I can go to another shop that I know of that has a good reputation or I can take it to a mazda dealership. Which would be the best idea?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by syasar View Post
    Update:

So I went to a mechanic today (a local active green), they recommended I do an oil change which I did and it did not fix the issue. They think it is an engine problem but they do not know exactly what. Theu told me to keep an eye on the oil and make sure I am not leaking or burning any. I really dont agree with the diagnose as I really can find any reason to think the car is burning oil, I will check for it but Im really not in agreement with what they are saying; not even sure if they pinpoint the exact sound I was talking about.

Now something new I notice while I was at a drive thru today, was a squeal or grindling noise, sounded like a pulley or drive belt, it came on for awhile and went away; is it common for those be worn out and cause noise only when the car is coming out of idle, because if so that might be the problem.

I thinking I am going to take it elsewhere to have the car checked out, I have a couple of choices I could go to the shop the previous owner went to with the car and recconmended, or I can go to another shop that I know of that has a good reputation or I can take it to a mazda dealership. Which would be the best idea?
    Take it to the shop you know has a good reputation.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in other words, NOT active green (they're not really good places to take your cars to)

there's a couple of causes of a "rattling noise":
    -detonation/preignition (root cause: bad gas, carbon build up, too low octane)
    -exhaust leak
    -broken A/C compressor reed valve (internal compressor damage)
    -worn connecting rod bearings
    -foreign objects intermittently hitting drive belts
    -loose engine parts hitting drive belts

the last two are really stretching it
    your video is hard to identify the noise well... you should take another video with the windows up but everything else off just like you did before... the road and wind noise ruins the video
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where are you located?

I have an excellent shop near me. Very honest and very good work.

_3

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it sounds like a squealing/pulley noise, then it could be a spun rod bearing.

https://youtu.be/rlIPIKSFDMI?t=1m15s
    Last edited by morganc; 07-26-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where are you located?

I have an excellent shop near me. Very honest and very good work.

_3
    I live in mississauga

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by morganc View Post
    If it sounds like a squealing/pulley noise, then it could be a spun rod bearing.

https://youtu.be/rlIPIKSFDMI?t=1m15s
    The thing is i never hear anything when the car starts up just a low speed, and rpm

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alright as @TheMAN suggusted I recorded another video however I didnt have a passenger so it just my phone sitting on the dash looking up. The windows are are all up and everything is turned off. The video was taken on my way to work and its the entire ride there. I have pin pointed specfic times were the sounds could be heard clearly I have listed those timestamps below

4:10 --> noise can be heard
    5:00 --> slow acceleration then you hear how quite the noise get after my foot is off the pedal
    6:57 --> taking a left in first the noise is pretty clear
    8:03 --> noise can be heard

* there is definatly alot of other point where the sound can be heard, but these are the clearest.

Hopefully this one is alittle better.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People could sit here and listen all day long and we would just be guessing, as its very hard to hear what you're talking about.

I think I heard your clutch slip a couple of times in second gear? ...My clutch is on the way out and makes an odd noise similar to what I think I hear at your times posted. But hard to tell.

Depending on your mileage, it could also be the issue.

Best would be to take it in to someone you trust and have them diagnose it fully and properly.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People could sit here and listen all day long and we would just be guessing, as its very hard to hear what you're talking about.

I think I heard your clutch slip a couple of times in second gear? ...My clutch is on the way out and makes an odd noise similar to what I think I hear at your times posted. But hard to tell.

Depending on your mileage, it could also be the issue.

Best would be to take it in to someone you trust and have them diagnose it fully and properly.

_3
    I agree, im gonna be busy with work for the next couple of day but i will take it to shop as soon as i can and have it checked out. Hope nothing goes wrong form now till then.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update: on the contrary to the title of this thread, I have finally come to realize the noise was not an engine noise but a rattle in my exhaust. So went to the shop and spend a good amount of time looking for the noise and found out that my flex pipe was completely worn like the breading peeling of it just didnt look normal, considering the car has 190k on it is was bound to fail eventually, I guess the rigidity of the flexpipe is gone and its giving the exhaust to much play and its hitting the headshield. Long story short its the flex pipe.

Dont think I am going to get it fixed right away however; on my way to the shop I ended up brusting a tire and had to have it replaced, so cant be spending to much money the shop I went to said it would cost around 180 and a local muffler shop quoted me 240, feels alittle to expensive but I rather have the flex pipe welded then try to figure out haow to clamped down the thin myself.