Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Squeak and pop in clutch

Hey all,

Have a 2013 mazda 3 gs-sky 6 speed manual. Bought it with 95000km on it - has 103,000km now.
    My clutch is making squeaks and clicks and pops (pops when pulling away in 1st or reverse). I've read horror stories about these cltuches giving out early. I actually had the tranny replaced under warranty and at the time they said the clutch plate looked good.

The shifting with the new tranny is great (before it used to not go into gears, etc). But the noise of the clutch pedal is worrisome. Can this be fixed with just some lube somewhere or is this a sign of a bigger issue? I'm assuming it isn't the actual tranny as it is brand new.

I have the Mazda added protection on the car (thank god it came with it). I'm just curious if others have had this issue and what they did about it. I've been driving manuals all my life and this car has the roughest transmission I have ever driven. I'm tempted to just get rid of it.

thanks
    dave

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Squeak and pop in clutch

I have a 2012 with the same bad squeak. I brought it to Jimmy at Street Performance and he basically lubcritated any moving parts related to the clutch, like part of the slave cylinder. In my particular case, you could actually FEEL the clutch making noise and it changed the entire feel of the clutch pedal (in a bad way, made the grab point feel very vague and the clutch felt almost crunchy). After lubrication, the squeak is still there but the clutch pedal feels normal again, and feels as it should.

I was told the squeak is something inside the transmission that gets dry, but that other than it sounding annoying, poses no threat to longetivity or safety.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milan96 View Post
    I have a 2012 with the same bad squeak. I brought it to Jimmy at Street Performance and he basically lubcritated any moving parts related to the clutch, like part of the slave cylinder. In my particular case, you could actually FEEL the clutch making noise and it changed the entire feel of the clutch pedal (in a bad way, made the grab point feel very vague and the clutch felt almost crunchy). After lubrication, the squeak is still there but the clutch pedal feels normal again, and feels as it should.

I was told the squeak is something inside the transmission that gets dry, but that other than it sounding annoying, poses no threat to longetivity or safety.
    hmmm...hard to beleive that a brand new transmission would have that issue from the day it was put in. The squeak was there before and immediately after the whole new tranny was put in.

Yeah,, the clutch does feel choppy...not smooth. crunchy is a great way to describe it.

I read there is/was actually a class action law suite against premature clutch failures in the 2010-2013 models. That is a bit disheartening.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, there's not too much that you can lube without separating the tranny. Too bad they didn't just do the clutch while they were in there. You never really know how bad the first driver was to it. I have had marginal success pulling back the dust boot around the clutch yoke and applying a bit of lube to the yoke ears with a very long q-tip. You could start by putting anti-seize on the ball of the slave cylinder to lube up its contact point with the yoke. That's about it though.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by morganc View Post
    Unfortunately, there's not too much that you can lube without separating the tranny. Too bad they didn't just do the clutch while they were in there. You never really know how bad the first driver was to it. I have had marginal success pulling back the dust boot around the clutch yoke and applying a bit of lube to the yoke ears with a very long q-tip. You could start by putting anti-seize on the ball of the slave cylinder to lube up its contact point with the yoke. That's about it though.
    BUt that's kinda my point. What are the chacnes that the old tranny and a brand new one both have a squeak? Wouldn't it make more sense that it is something outside the tranny that might be causing it? The squeak was there on the old tranny they removed and immediately there when the new one was put in.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davemsc View Post
    BUt that's kinda my point. What are the chacnes that the old tranny and a brand new one both have a squeak? Wouldn't it make more sense that it is something outside the tranny that might be causing it? The squeak was there on the old tranny they removed and immediately there when the new one was put in.
    Well, as I mentioned, I had everything that could be lubed, lubed, and it fixed the crunchy feeling but the squeak is still there. Clearly an issue on the skyactiv transmissions. I was told its inside the transmission, so, I will have it addressed when I have a clutch done. Not much you can do

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, they put a new clutch switch in. It got rid of a clicking noise but the squeak is still there.

I grabbed the mechanic and showed him first hand. He know thinks it is the slave cylinder. It sounds fairly loud outside the car.

DOes this sound about right? They are ordering one in. It's still all free for me as its covered under the MAP.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davemsc View Post
    well, they put a new clutch switch in. It got rid of a clicking noise but the squeak is still there.

I grabbed the mechanic and showed him first hand. He know thinks it is the slave cylinder. It sounds fairly loud outside the car.

DOes this sound about right? They are ordering one in. It's still all free for me as its covered under the MAP.
    I'm surprised they couldn't tell right away what the noise is for sure, seeing as this is clearly an issue on the skyactiv manual transmission. I've heard it could be a slave cylinder, yes. Keep us updated

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milan96 View Post
    I'm surprised they couldn't tell right away what the noise is for sure, seeing as this is clearly an issue on the skyactiv manual transmission. I've heard it could be a slave cylinder, yes. Keep us updated
    I think he thought I was talking about a clicking noise, which was fixed with the new clutch switch. I never had a chance to show him directly. But this time I went right back in and grabbed the guy haha

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go to the engine bay, near the front youll see a cable that moves when you push the clutch in (slave or master?). Spray the snot out of it with grease.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well just an update. They just replaced the slave cylinder. If you recall, there was a brutal squeak when the clutch was depressed and let out. THis got rid of it, at least right now - immediately after the repair. I'll give it a few days to see if it comes back, but so far so good.