Ride
    2010 M3 GX Sport
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Trunk release jammed

I have a 2013 GS sedan and used the manual release beside the driver's seat to open the trunk. After popping the trunk, the manual release handle remained up and the trunk will no longer lock. I'm not sure if the cable has snapped or if it has just seized and just needs lubrication. I have no idea how to check this or lubricate it. Any ideas ?

Maple Mazda wants $109 as a "diagnostic fee" just to look at it. Any work and parts will be extra on top of that.

Ride
    Vixxxen
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Trunk release jammed

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaagain View Post
    I have a 2013 GS sedan and used the manual release beside the driver's seat to open the trunk. After popping the trunk, the manual release handle remained up and the trunk will no longer lock. I'm not sure if the cable has snapped or if it has just seized and just needs lubrication. I have no idea how to check this or lubricate it. Any ideas ?

Maple Mazda wants $109 as a "diagnostic fee" just to look at it. Any work and parts will be extra on top of that.
    Check this thread...click on the other links within it for more info

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...se-not-working
    My Parents bought me more Hot Wheels than Barbies when I was little...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to natspriceless For This Useful Post:

Default User (08-02-2017)

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like your cable is seized since the handle is stuck in the up position.
    Why are you surprised at a diagnostic fee? Don't you want to be paid for what you do? If you want it fixed properly you have to pay diag or be confident enough to do it yourself.
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder - trade in, 2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey - Write off, 2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan CWP- trade in, 2010 Speed 3 w/tech CWP - Up for sale (soon), 2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- motor swapped in to 2009 MS3 CWP that had blown engine, 2002 BMW 330ci silver- new winter ride, 2005 BMW M3- new toy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to McGuyver_3 For This Useful Post:

natspriceless (08-02-2017)

Jr Member
    Ride
    2010 M3 GX Sport
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=natspriceless;1349898]Check this thread...click on the other links within it for more info

[url]http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?24844

Thanks. The other threads were helpful but my trunk does not seem to have a yellow lock/unlock switch.

Jr Member
    Ride
    2010 M3 GX Sport
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McGuyver_3 View Post
    Sounds like your cable is seized since the handle is stuck in the up position.
    Why are you surprised at a diagnostic fee? Don't you want to be paid for what you do? If you want it fixed properly you have to pay diag or be confident enough to do it yourself.
    I have no issue with a fee and paying for service but the full 1 hour charge for a trunk release cable seems excessive. This isn't searching for some mystery engine problem or hooking up to a computer for analysis. It's a trunk release ... any competent technician should be able to figure out if the cable has snapped or seized within no more than 10 minutes.
    I went to look to look for the lock button and in the process realized that there was a removable cover which I took off and found the manual release cable is now exposed and fiddled with it and pulled on it and .... fixed ! Trunk will lock now. Took me 10 minutes to do it and I had no clue what I was looking for.... they were going to charge me 1 hour of labour for this and you think it's reasonable ?

Ride
    Vixxxen
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no issue with a fee and paying for service but the full 1 hour charge for a trunk release cable seems excessive. This isn't searching for some mystery engine problem or hooking up to a computer for analysis. It's a trunk release ... any competent technician should be able to figure out if the cable has snapped or seized within no more than 10 minutes.
    I went to look to look for the lock button and in the process realized that there was a removable cover which I took off and found the manual release cable is now exposed and fiddled with it and pulled on it and .... fixed ! Trunk will lock now. Took me 10 minutes to do it and I had no clue what I was looking for.... they were going to charge me 1 hour of labour for this and you think it's reasonable ?
    Yes because business is business and the diagnostic process is part of the service SOP - you're paying for the overhead cost of the service advisor that spoke with you, the tech that is assessing the situation, the electricity used, the water used, the paper used to print your work order & invoice, the plastic protector they put on your seat.....all of these things have real cost associated with them and think people often forget that.

Jr Member
    Ride
    2010 M3 GX Sport
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by natspriceless View Post
    Yes because business is business and the diagnostic process is part of the service SOP - you're paying for the overhead cost of the service advisor that spoke with you, the tech that is assessing the situation, the electricity used, the water used, the paper used to print your work order & invoice, the plastic protector they put on your seat.....all of these things have real cost associated with them and think people often forget that.
    I work in finance and fully understand the concept of overhead. The labour rate takes into account all of those overhead costs already. As I said, I get it if it's an issue that will take time or computer diagnostics to solve. This is a release cable. It's either seized or it's snapped .... it's not a complicated diagnostic, there are no other possibilities - 5 or 10 minutes at the most. I wasn't expecting it for free but a full hour at $110 + taxes IS excessive. And I was told any parts or repairs would cost additional labour on top of the $100. A very good reason to no longer go there and a reason why people refer to dealerships as "stealerships"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I work in finance and fully understand the concept of overhead. The labour rate takes into account all of those overhead costs already. As I said, I get it if it's an issue that will take time or computer diagnostics to solve. This is a release cable. It's either seized or it's snapped .... it's not a complicated diagnostic, there are no other possibilities - 5 or 10 minutes at the most. I wasn't expecting it for free but a full hour at $110 + taxes IS excessive. And I was told any parts or repairs would cost additional labour on top of the $100. A very good reason to no longer go there and a reason why people refer to dealerships as "stealerships"
    I was under the impression it was/is common place, that any diagnostic fee would be waved if the work was performed to remedy the issue...I guess things have changed lol. Anyways back to your cable, just a suggestion; Maybe put some grease in the area where you found the snag, it may stop it from occurring again.

_3

Ride
    Vixxxen
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    I was under the impression it was/is common place, that any diagnostic fee would be waved if the work was performed to remedy the issue...
    It is but since people get bent out of shape as soon as it is mentioned, they don't book the service and find out that's what will happen

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by natspriceless View Post
    It is but since people get bent out of shape as soon as it is mentioned, they don't book the service and find out that's what will happen
    MOT is diagnostic fee, except for suspension and brakes if you get the work done.
    Regards
    Shawn