Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Trunk release jammed

  1. #1
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    East GTA
    Ride
    2010 M3 GX Sport
    Posts
    447
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Angry Trunk release jammed

    I have a 2013 GS sedan and used the manual release beside the driver's seat to open the trunk. After popping the trunk, the manual release handle remained up and the trunk will no longer lock. I'm not sure if the cable has snapped or if it has just seized and just needs lubrication. I have no idea how to check this or lubricate it. Any ideas ?

    Maple Mazda wants $109 as a "diagnostic fee" just to look at it. Any work and parts will be extra on top of that.

  2. #2
    Moderator natspriceless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Maple, ON
    Age
    34
    Ride
    Vixxxen
    Posts
    942
    Thanks
    843
    Thanked 420 Times in 229 Posts
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Trunk release jammed

    Quote Originally Posted by mazdaagain View Post
    I have a 2013 GS sedan and used the manual release beside the driver's seat to open the trunk. After popping the trunk, the manual release handle remained up and the trunk will no longer lock. I'm not sure if the cable has snapped or if it has just seized and just needs lubrication. I have no idea how to check this or lubricate it. Any ideas ?

    Maple Mazda wants $109 as a "diagnostic fee" just to look at it. Any work and parts will be extra on top of that.
    Check this thread...click on the other links within it for more info

    http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...se-not-working
    My Parents bought me more Hot Wheels than Barbies when I was little...

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to natspriceless For This Useful Post:

    Default User (08-02-2017)

  4. #3
    Uncle Ben
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,971
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 87 Times in 77 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Trunk release jammed

    Sounds like your cable is seized since the handle is stuck in the up position.
    Why are you surprised at a diagnostic fee? Don't you want to be paid for what you do? If you want it fixed properly you have to pay diag or be confident enough to do it yourself.
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder SE-V6 Red/red interior - trade in
    2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey/black interior - Write off
    2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan Crystal White Pearl/on black interior- trade in
    2010 Speed 3 Crystal White Pearl/on black interior all options- current
    2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- current winter ride

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to McGuyver_3 For This Useful Post:

    natspriceless (08-02-2017)

  6. #4
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    East GTA
    Ride
    2010 M3 GX Sport
    Posts
    447
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Trunk release jammed

    [QUOTE=natspriceless;1349898]Check this thread...click on the other links within it for more info

    [url]http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?24844

    Thanks. The other threads were helpful but my trunk does not seem to have a yellow lock/unlock switch.

  7. #5
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    East GTA
    Ride
    2010 M3 GX Sport
    Posts
    447
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Trunk release jammed

    Quote Originally Posted by McGuyver_3 View Post
    Sounds like your cable is seized since the handle is stuck in the up position.
    Why are you surprised at a diagnostic fee? Don't you want to be paid for what you do? If you want it fixed properly you have to pay diag or be confident enough to do it yourself.
    I have no issue with a fee and paying for service but the full 1 hour charge for a trunk release cable seems excessive. This isn't searching for some mystery engine problem or hooking up to a computer for analysis. It's a trunk release ... any competent technician should be able to figure out if the cable has snapped or seized within no more than 10 minutes.
    I went to look to look for the lock button and in the process realized that there was a removable cover which I took off and found the manual release cable is now exposed and fiddled with it and pulled on it and .... fixed ! Trunk will lock now. Took me 10 minutes to do it and I had no clue what I was looking for.... they were going to charge me 1 hour of labour for this and you think it's reasonable ?

  8. #6
    Moderator natspriceless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Maple, ON
    Age
    34
    Ride
    Vixxxen
    Posts
    942
    Thanks
    843
    Thanked 420 Times in 229 Posts
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Trunk release jammed

    Quote Originally Posted by mazdaagain View Post
    I have no issue with a fee and paying for service but the full 1 hour charge for a trunk release cable seems excessive. This isn't searching for some mystery engine problem or hooking up to a computer for analysis. It's a trunk release ... any competent technician should be able to figure out if the cable has snapped or seized within no more than 10 minutes.
    I went to look to look for the lock button and in the process realized that there was a removable cover which I took off and found the manual release cable is now exposed and fiddled with it and pulled on it and .... fixed ! Trunk will lock now. Took me 10 minutes to do it and I had no clue what I was looking for.... they were going to charge me 1 hour of labour for this and you think it's reasonable ?
    Yes because business is business and the diagnostic process is part of the service SOP - you're paying for the overhead cost of the service advisor that spoke with you, the tech that is assessing the situation, the electricity used, the water used, the paper used to print your work order & invoice, the plastic protector they put on your seat.....all of these things have real cost associated with them and think people often forget that.

  9. #7
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    East GTA
    Ride
    2010 M3 GX Sport
    Posts
    447
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Trunk release jammed

    Quote Originally Posted by natspriceless View Post
    Yes because business is business and the diagnostic process is part of the service SOP - you're paying for the overhead cost of the service advisor that spoke with you, the tech that is assessing the situation, the electricity used, the water used, the paper used to print your work order & invoice, the plastic protector they put on your seat.....all of these things have real cost associated with them and think people often forget that.
    I work in finance and fully understand the concept of overhead. The labour rate takes into account all of those overhead costs already. As I said, I get it if it's an issue that will take time or computer diagnostics to solve. This is a release cable. It's either seized or it's snapped .... it's not a complicated diagnostic, there are no other possibilities - 5 or 10 minutes at the most. I wasn't expecting it for free but a full hour at $110 + taxes IS excessive. And I was told any parts or repairs would cost additional labour on top of the $100. A very good reason to no longer go there and a reason why people refer to dealerships as "stealerships"

  10. #8
    Sr Member Flagrum_3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    6,049
    Thanks
    320
    Thanked 296 Times in 236 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Trunk release jammed

    Quote Originally Posted by mazdaagain View Post
    I work in finance and fully understand the concept of overhead. The labour rate takes into account all of those overhead costs already. As I said, I get it if it's an issue that will take time or computer diagnostics to solve. This is a release cable. It's either seized or it's snapped .... it's not a complicated diagnostic, there are no other possibilities - 5 or 10 minutes at the most. I wasn't expecting it for free but a full hour at $110 + taxes IS excessive. And I was told any parts or repairs would cost additional labour on top of the $100. A very good reason to no longer go there and a reason why people refer to dealerships as "stealerships"
    I was under the impression it was/is common place, that any diagnostic fee would be waved if the work was performed to remedy the issue...I guess things have changed lol. Anyways back to your cable, just a suggestion; Maybe put some grease in the area where you found the snag, it may stop it from occurring again.


    _3

  11. #9
    Moderator natspriceless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Maple, ON
    Age
    34
    Ride
    Vixxxen
    Posts
    942
    Thanks
    843
    Thanked 420 Times in 229 Posts
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Trunk release jammed

    Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    I was under the impression it was/is common place, that any diagnostic fee would be waved if the work was performed to remedy the issue...
    It is but since people get bent out of shape as soon as it is mentioned, they don't book the service and find out that's what will happen

  12. #10
    Jr Member Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    518
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Trunk release jammed

    Quote Originally Posted by natspriceless View Post
    It is but since people get bent out of shape as soon as it is mentioned, they don't book the service and find out that's what will happen
    MOT is diagnostic fee, except for suspension and brakes if you get the work done.
    Regards
    Shawn

Similar Threads

  1. Trunk Release mod?
    By alho in forum Mazda3 General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-30-2010, 08:02 PM
  2. Remote trunk release
    By SilentJay in forum Mazda3 General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-12-2008, 02:21 PM
  3. trunk release not working
    By woodsball_delight in forum Problems with the Mazda3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2008, 11:02 PM
  4. Remote trunk release
    By ottawajoe in forum Electrical
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-02-2007, 11:25 AM
  5. trunk release by drivers seat
    By Tam in forum Problems with the Mazda3
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-09-2006, 08:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •