Thread: iActivesense automatic braking and new tires/wheels

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default iActivesense automatic braking and new tires/wheels

I am a new owner of a 2017 Mazda3 GT Premium. Planning ahead to winter tire purchase. Question: when changing tires and wheels (for example, switching to winters on steel rims) is there any impact on the traction control or the automatic braking features that are part of the iActivesense system? Are these features precisely calibrated to the particular tire size and wheel dimension? Does minus sizing require recalibration?

I prefer to minus size my winter tires and read in another vehicle forum that traction control can be adversely affected by changing tire/wheel size because the sensors are calibrated to the wheels, and that it is best to install winter tires onto the OEM wheels instead of putting them on steels.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: iActivesense automatic braking and new tires/wheels

Quote Originally Posted by dmendel View Post
    I am a new owner of a 2017 Mazda3 GT Premium. Planning ahead to winter tire purchase. Question: when changing tires and wheels (for example, switching to winters on steel rims) is there any impact on the traction control or the automatic braking features that are part of the iActivesense system? Are these features precisely calibrated to the particular tire size and wheel dimension? Does minus sizing require recalibration?

I prefer to minus size my winter tires and read in another vehicle forum that traction control can be adversely affected by changing tire/wheel size because the sensors are calibrated to the wheels, and that it is best to install winter tires onto the OEM wheels instead of putting them on steels.
    My understanding is that those systems will not be compromised. Aslong as the overall circumference or overall size of the tire stays the same you should be fine.

_3

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

traction control uses the ABS system, which tire mismatching could affect
    the smart city braking system has nothing to do with the wheels, it's based on the radar sensor and laser sensor up front
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not going to be an issue as long as your second set are reasonably close to stock.

Traction control is based off wheel slip. Coefficient of friction (tire grip) is more important than your tire being off in diameter by a couple percent. The pumping action of the ABS isn't going to affect very much if the diameter is only off by a few percent.

Auto braking is vision / sensor based and is the car applying the brakes for you. The system will be impacted no more than it is under your right foot when running your other tires. Car will apply braking force as needed ***Note: I'm sure you're aware but auto braking does not necessarily mean accident avoidance. I can and will still allow an accident, but may help reduce the severity of it****

I ran my 205/50/17 winters from my 2010 all last winter on my '17 because they were in the garage basically brand new (on for 2 months on my 2010 the winter before). Then my 2010 was written off just before last winter and I didn't want to drop coin on new tires again. I had no issues. They're a little smaller than the stock '17 215/45/18 by about 2%.