Thread: Flexpipe replacement for 2006 Mazda 2.3L Hatchback

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Flexpipe replacement for 2006 Mazda 2.3L Hatchback

Hey everyone need some help finding a part for my car. So i was having trouble with a noise coming form my car as of late, had it checked out and its a flexpipe. Great that I know what is but the shopped that identified the issue said it would cost somewhere around $80-100 for a flexpipe and one hour worth of labor at $80/hr. Thought that was alittle pricey thought i try a muffler shop they quoted $240 parts and labor. That really seem expensive, consider looking around online and there are flexpipe that cost as low as $30-40 dollar, they are marketed as universal. Now maybe I can save some money if I get flexpipe and just have them install it for $80 at the first shop, i need to really save money now had a string on repairs done to the car the past few weeks i just bought it. I suppose its a pretty tight spot welding would be rather diffcult so i guess the rather charge is justifable.

So my question is are there any specification for flexpipe or are they universal, my car is a 2006 Mazda 3 GT Hatch 2.3L; the flexpipe that needs to be replaced is the one right after the cat (the one in the pipe below. How loog does it need to be. Also what is the oem exhaust diameter/size for my car I really cant find it anywhere online, or does it not even matter when installing or replacing exhaust parts, i might get new muffler eventually so i might need that information. Im just learning about car I dont really know how everything works.

)

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Flexpipe replacement for 2006 Mazda 2.3L Hatchback

Flex pipe is part of the down pipe. I managed to find a really good condition down pipe at a wrecker for about 130$
    You probably will need torches to get the nuts off the exhaust where the down pipe meets the exhaust. They are probably gonna be seized one way or another.
    Pay the 1st shop quote, that way you have warranty for further down the road issues related to the flex pipe.
    Last edited by McGuyver_3; 08-03-2017 at 08:20 PM.
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder - trade in, 2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey - Write off, 2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan CWP- trade in, 2010 Speed 3 w/tech CWP - Up for sale (soon), 2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- motor swapped in to 2009 MS3 CWP that had blown engine, 2002 BMW 330ci silver- new winter ride, 2005 BMW M3- new toy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McGuyver_3 View Post
    Flex pipe is part of the down pipe. I managed to find a really good condition down pipe at a wrecker for about 130$
    You probably will need torches to get the nuts off the exhaust where the down pipe meets the exhaust. They are probably gonna be seized one way or another.
    Pay the 1st shop quote, that way you have warranty for further down the road issues related to the flex pipe.
    well so for my car it isnt at all possible to change just the flexpipe, like hack off each side and have a new one welded or clamped on its the old ways place.

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if I understand correctly, shop 1 quoted you for a flex pipe and repairs. You can go down this road and i was saying you should go down this road. This will have the best warranty for further issues, should any arise.
    I chose a used down pipe as it was easier for me. I don't have access to a welder, nor did I want to deal with the headaches. I am a tech, my car has around 235k on the clock. Figured a new cat wouldn't hurt either. Bonus that the replacement was literally a new unit

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McGuyver_3 View Post
    if I understand correctly, shop 1 quoted you for a flex pipe and repairs. You can go down this road and i was saying you should go down this road. This will have the best warranty for further issues, should any arise.
    I chose a used down pipe as it was easier for me. I don't have access to a welder, nor did I want to deal with the headaches. I am a tech, my car has around 235k on the clock. Figured a new cat wouldn't hurt either. Bonus that the replacement was literally a new unit
    I think i gonna do what you because they just called be an informed me it gonna be more than the quote they first gave me, like 400+ now. I think im just going to leave it be and get it fixed when it get too loud. Either im going to the muffler shop and have them do it for 240 or find a downpipe like you did if my cat is in bad shape, my car has 190k on it anyways.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk