Thread: 2006 Mazda3 AC stopped working

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2006 Mazda3 AC stopped working

So i bought my 2006 Mazda3 Sport GT used as my first car, man the issues keeps on coming first it was a flexpipe pipe rattle, also I think now either the idler or tensioner pulley must be going bad and allowing the belt to slip. And now the AC stopped working, not a deal breaker considering I bought the car for $2000 with 180k I knew i was gonna run into issues, but some many so soon its quite overwhelming, but aside the engine runs and the clutch is still has life left.

Now back to the matter at hand, so the AC just stopped working the other day, when I turned it on it just would not blow cold, perhap it failed early as I dont always have the AC on. Now form what I can see the AC compresser cultch is not enaging. I should mention that the week before the ac went out I did run over a curb that cost me a tire and it was not right side where the ac compresser is; however i dont think the car dropped that low when the car had to roll over the curb the engine splash guard wasnt damaged or anything its not like AC compresser sits that low or am I wrong.

Now if not that, I figured the AC system has a leak in it as the previous owner had told me the he had to recharge the AC. Now If recharge last 4-5 month when its hot I dont mind recharging it once and awhile its a old car. Doing research it seems that sometimes when the refrigrent is low you can add at little bit to get the compresser to go. So I bought a kit and plug it in to see if it was low and the guage just shoot up to high, now after looking into that apparently that shows when the compresser is off (please correct me if I am wrong). Never the less I figured that maybe I should add a little refridgent to see if the cultch kicks in, so I let some in for just only about 1 minute and nothing happened. I also check the relay in the fuse box by switchig out with the horn relay that was the same and nothing really changed.

AC was ice cold when I bought the car and up until it failed, I really not happy with the idea of taking the car in for AC repair as it would cost way to much money in comparsion to how much bought the for the car for, so I like to be able to work the issue my self as best as I can. I want to narrow down the issue and figure out what wrong atleast then I would know if I could do something about it. Now I have a few questions...

1. Could my mishap with the curb damge the compresser in any way, I basically jumped an awkwardly placed curb and rolled over it and it was enough to have torn open my tire, could it be that?

2. is it normal for the pressure guage to be high when the compresser is not running?

3. Are there any other electrical tests I can to find the issue like another switch or fuse I should check.

4. how would I go about testing the compresser, I understand in some cases you can hotwire the ac clutch to check to see if its working, but it might cause damage as there maybe no oil in the compresser. Would it be wise to just hotwire it for a short amount of time to see for one weather it enaging or not and also check the refridgent pressure. If so how do I do that?

Now please bare with with me, I know Im streching alittle trying to do AC troubleshooting, I know its a really complicated matter and probally best left to professional, but I really can't spend anymore money on this car right now its just not work it, anything tips to give me some peace of mind would be great thanks.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2006 Mazda3 AC stopped working

2- the ac is a closed system. Even though the compressor isn't engaging it still is a closed loop, therefore holding pressure.

Recently had the ac go on my 04 Mazda 3 2.3L. Belt was missing after the winter, replaced the belt, still no ac. Emptied the system and refilled it and it worked like a charm. I can't speak for how to test the compressor, although from my experience unless the compressor has the proper pressure in the line, it won't engage. I emptied my system and started refilling it, only then it engaged.

Compressors are expensive to replace, dealerships "tests" are quite expensive. But likely cheaper than replacing the compressor if it doesn't need to be.

Best of luck to you!

04 Mazda 3, 2.3L 5 speed GS Hatch, 250,000kms.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now I think I am going to have the mechanic check my AC next time I go in for a oil change. My question now might be a stupid one but, is it safe to drive around my car without the ac functioning. Can I drive around a car without the ac clutch enaging. If the ac is off the dash, the clutch wouldnt be enaging anyway right?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, you are correct. You can drive around with no issues until it's fixed. The compressor clutch will stay disengaged and the belt will simply be free-wheeling on the pulley. Even with the button or defrost selected (also runs the compressor) the system is designed to protect itself.

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by syasar View Post
    Now I think I am going to have the mechanic check my AC next time I go in for a oil change. My question now might be a stupid one but, is it safe to drive around my car without the ac functioning. Can I drive around a car without the ac clutch enaging. If the ac is off the dash, the clutch wouldnt be enaging anyway right?
    I'd also ask your mechanic to get you a used one from a car with lowish km on it. Save you a bit if you do need a compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    I'd also ask your mechanic to get you a used one from a car with lowish km on it. Save you a bit if you do need a compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just wondering though what are the odds of the compresser failing because, form the maintance records. The ac compresser was changed about 3 years ago, with what a assume was a new one. They dont just go bad that soon do they.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by syasar View Post
    Just wondering though what are the odds of the compresser failing because, form the maintance records. The ac compresser was changed about 3 years ago, with what a assume was a new one. They dont just go bad that soon do they.

A new factory OEM compressor doubtful, but an oddball cheapie refurb (or cheap new OES) unit is definitely more possible. Was the repair done at a Mazda dealer and were parts listed?

2010 Sport 2.0L 5MT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarujo View Post
    A new factory OEM compressor doubtful, but an oddball cheapie refurb (or cheap new OES) unit is definitely more possible. Was the repair done at a Mazda dealer and were parts listed?
    No its wasnt at a dealership the recipt is form a private garage, hopefully the compressr still good.