Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Car does not turn over sometimes

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Car does not turn over sometimes

    So lately i have been noticing a new issue with my 180k 2006 2.3l mazda3. Once and a awhile like maybe twice a week, when I go to start my car lets say in the morning or after work the car will crank and keep going and doesnt seem to turn over. The car keeps vibrating i guess cranking and im to worried to let it keep going, because it somewhat aggressive. So I just turn the ignition off wait a few seconds and try again and the car starts just fine. That has worked everytime. The car is old I guess i should expect problems like that, but I like to get an idea of what the issue might be.

    Now I have done a little testing and this is what I have found. Let say the engine starts just fine no problem. I shut the engine off right after like 10s after, I try to start the engine the car doesnt start, cranks but does not turn over just as I described before. Could that mean anything.
    Im not sure what this might be should i be worried, when the car starts I have no problem driving the car, it has never died on me anything it always turned on the second try. I havnt picked up any check engine lights should I check while the car is trying to crank maybe.

    Looking online its might be fuel system or the spark plugs or maybe cam sensor. What might this be and is it going to get worse with time, any other symptoms i should look out for.

    Thanks in advance, everyone here has been very helpful with the issues I have been having with first car.

    Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Member shift8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Alliston, ON
    Age
    36
    Ride
    Toyota Highlander Limited
    Posts
    1,071
    Thanks
    795
    Thanked 234 Times in 159 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Car does not turn over sometimes

    Quote Originally Posted by syasar View Post
    So lately i have been noticing a new issue with my 180k 2006 2.3l mazda3. Once and a awhile like maybe twice a week, when I go to start my car lets say in the morning or after work the car will crank and keep going and doesnt seem to turn over. The car keeps vibrating i guess cranking and im to worried to let it keep going, because it somewhat aggressive. So I just turn the ignition off wait a few seconds and try again and the car starts just fine. That has worked everytime. The car is old I guess i should expect problems like that, but I like to get an idea of what the issue might be.

    Now I have done a little testing and this is what I have found. Let say the engine starts just fine no problem. I shut the engine off right after like 10s after, I try to start the engine the car doesnt start, cranks but does not turn over just as I described before. Could that mean anything.
    Im not sure what this might be should i be worried, when the car starts I have no problem driving the car, it has never died on me anything it always turned on the second try. I havnt picked up any check engine lights should I check while the car is trying to crank maybe.

    Looking online its might be fuel system or the spark plugs or maybe cam sensor. What might this be and is it going to get worse with time, any other symptoms i should look out for.

    Thanks in advance, everyone here has been very helpful with the issues I have been having with first car.

    Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
    Pretty hard to say I think without actually testing systems but my first guess would be plugs or coil packs. Guess question would be when did you last change the plugs?
    2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3, CWP
    JBR SRI + TIP - AutoTech HPFP - CP-e TMIC - Cobb RMM
    TWM short shifter w/ bushings - Saikou Michi OCC - Damond EGR block off + delete - Continental ExtremeContact Sport
    Enkei RPF1 (white) - CS stubby antennae - Guardian Angel - Cobb AP - vanity plate

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Orillia
    Posts
    168
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Car does not turn over sometimes

    Cam or crank shaft position sensor. Don't see it being a spark plug as it would run rough first.

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Car does not turn over sometimes

    Quote Originally Posted by shift8 View Post
    Pretty hard to say I think without actually testing systems but my first guess would be plugs or coil packs. Guess question would be when did you last change the plugs?
    Im not really sure i bought the car recently used, i have some record but not all of them. Any way i can narrow it done to those.

    Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Car does not turn over sometimes

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff7670 View Post
    Cam or crank shaft position sensor. Don't see it being a spark plug as it would run rough first.
    Should i be accepting a CEL, if its a sensor.

    Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Sr Member Flagrum_3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    6,049
    Thanks
    320
    Thanked 296 Times in 236 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Car does not turn over sometimes

    First guess; Purge Solenoid valve.
    Second guess; crank sensor.

    Both should throw a code eventually.


    _3

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flagrum_3 For This Useful Post:

    sarujo (08-18-2017),shift8 (08-18-2017),syasar (08-18-2017)

  8. #7
    Member shift8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Alliston, ON
    Age
    36
    Ride
    Toyota Highlander Limited
    Posts
    1,071
    Thanks
    795
    Thanked 234 Times in 159 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Car does not turn over sometimes

    Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    First guess; Purge Solenoid valve.
    Second guess; crank sensor.

    Both should throw a code eventually.


    _3
    This makes more sense on a second reading especially if you don't have any real hesitation issues.

  9. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Car does not turn over sometimes

    Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    First guess; Purge Solenoid valve.
    Second guess; crank sensor.

    Both should throw a code eventually.


    _3
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, based on what i have been reading the symptoms of either of those sensors is very similar to what I an talking about. Now I dont sure which it could be so, i guess I will wait till a check engine like pops up and deal with it than. Atleast now I have some peace of mind, hopefully nothing happens. Atleast the car starts.

    Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to syasar For This Useful Post:

    shift8 (08-18-2017)

  11. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Car does not turn over sometimes

    Hey guys quick update, the car was on a good roll i havnt had the starting issue since the last post, it happened once yestarday. Still no CEL. Im kinda thinking now it is the alternator, i dont know what do you all think.
    The reason why i came to this is because there was a noise around my drive belt, i spray the belt to see if its a belt or tension issue, no use. i figured it was the tensioner pulley the only one i can, I changed it. Still no use.
    Let me explain the noise as well, it only comes on when the car is warm and its is idling, i havnt notice weather or not it happens if its in gear or not. I cant hear it at all when driving. And also it isnt constant sometimes i dont hear it at all (never hear it when i do a cold start). I kinda of goes in and out on idle as well. I have included a video, really doesnt do the noise justice but there for your reference. its not coming form the rear of the drive belt system so not the ac area, really sounds like its coming form the front.

    I wonder if the crank no start issue and the noise are connected. I figure if the noise is the bad alterntor, the alternator might not be giving the battery enough juice and the starter runs out of power to start. But then again the car does usually start if i crank again. Im not sure what do guys think.

    The noise starts around 12 secs.

    https://youtu.be/B6H-XGRmRCE

    Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-27-2012, 12:21 AM
  2. HID's won't turn on
    By racebannon in forum Lighting, Electrical & Security
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-29-2011, 07:08 PM
  3. Blackberry 9700 for turn-by-turn in M3, newbie asking
    By armazda in forum Mazda3 General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-01-2010, 09:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •