Thread: Well, I hit a deer.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Well, I hit a deer.

If anyone's looking for a parts car, they are welcome to make an offer. Waiting for insurance to go through and then find out what the buy back price is. It's the entire vehicle or nothing.

2004 2.3L Mazda 3 Hatch GS 5SpeedManual.
    Third gear shifts hard. Clutch 40,000kms old. Brand new alternator, tensioner, thermostat & coolant replaced, oil changed every 3,000 kms, rear strut mounts replaced.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Well, I hit a deer.

That wouldn't take much to fix and imo would be worth it. Used parts you are probably looking at $200 if you just keep that bumper cover with the crack.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went through this a few years ago, pondering buying & repairing a written-off car. The problem is that if the insurance company writes it off, it's entered into the licensing system as "salvage" (aka scrap). So even if you fix it, in order to license it for the road you'll need an actual engineer's report declaring it roadworthy. A simple safety check won't do. When you factor in that cost, it's not going to be worth it.

Brad.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpsmicro View Post
    I went through this a few years ago, pondering buying & repairing a written-off car. The problem is that if the insurance company writes it off, it's entered into the licensing system as "salvage" (aka scrap). So even if you fix it, in order to license it for the road you'll need an actual engineer's report declaring it roadworthy. A simple safety check won't do. When you factor in that cost, it's not going to be worth it.

Brad.
    Alot of the time you can agree to buy it back as clean title for a higher price. For future reference. But the amount of damage does take a toll on this. My car in this scenario cannot be sold clean due to the supports and the behind fender wall thing damage. As when I owned a civic that got backed into, it could have been purchased clean since it was just the bumper cover, bumper, hood headlights, and fenders. All depends on the situation and the insurance rep you get I guess.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LinkinEffect For This Useful Post:

Bryce0921 (08-27-2017)

Ride
    Vixxxen
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LinkinEffect View Post
    Alot of the time you can agree to buy it back as clean title for a higher price. For future reference. But the amount of damage does take a toll on this. My car in this scenario cannot be sold clean due to the supports and the behind fender wall thing damage. As when I owned a civic that got backed into, it could have been purchased clean since it was just the bumper cover, bumper, hood headlights, and fenders. All depends on the situation and the insurance rep you get I guess.

I think that really depends on why it was written off. If there is structural damage there is no exception to the title; IMO listing it as anything other than salvage or rebuilt would be fraudulent. If they are writing it off because of value alone (car being worth less than repairs) I can see how the title could be different
    My Parents bought me more Hot Wheels than Barbies when I was little...

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by natspriceless View Post
    I think that really depends on why it was written off. If there is structural damage there is no exception to the title; IMO listing it as anything other than salvage or rebuilt would be fraudulent. If they are writing it off because of value alone (car being worth less than repairs) I can see how the title could be different
    It was $1500 in a mix of new and used parts to repair. Body shop quote was upwards of $5000 due to paint, and labour, etc. The car was written off because it's a old Mazda 3. No structural damage, just alot of parts to replace and some electrical.

Car left on a tow truck today, sad to see it go. On to the next one.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LinkinEffect For This Useful Post:

Kiewan (08-31-2017)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That's most often the case. repairs > value - cheaper to write it off.

Also if your VIN has been branded salvage or not.
    if it has - see the previous post about hoops you must jump through to get that car back on the road.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently has my Astra written off and picked up a new 3. Did you mention to the insurance company the recent repairs? All insurance companies will give back full replacement cost of parts (not labour) that were replaced in the prior 6 months. My initial claim was determined to be $4100. After mentioning and providing invoices of the repairs, they increased the claim to $6800.