Thread: Ruined my hood paint what should I do

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ruined my hood paint what should I do

So I recently bought my first car, White 2006 Mazda 3 GT a cheap like 2k, now the car had soon minor paint problem, chips, scraps, and little bits rust here and there I though I could make the car look great again but its easier said then done. Like an idiot I started with the biggest panel the hood, there were lots of paint chips and rust come form the paint chip. I was impatient and started sanding and priming the little spot of bare metal, there was lots of overspray and had to sand alot of the primer. Then I got white paint in a can (dupli-color) that did not even match my car paint and started painting, figured I would blend it. Soon realized I was way over my head, spalatter, runs. Then I had to sand blend even more some parts blended pretty good, other parts just awful and I gave up, now 80% of my hood was screwed up, I realized an this point it was to late there was nothing I can do then finsh my mess. Then I cleared the entire hood with 3 coat of spraymax 2k clear coat, during my anxiety attack I didnt even end up clean up some area where sanded paint left strikes. After the clear coat hardened I had to clean it up orange peel and the imperection, sand it down and compund it. This is the only thing that came out ok. Now there are bits of the paint that blended ok and other bit that where no good, now since the hood is polished it does not look that bad when it sunny out, in low light area like streets light at night you an really see it. Now it really makes me feel like the biggest maron trying to paint it everytime I walk up to the car, I could have just polished the chips and spots of rust and dapped touch up paint, I know that now. But live and learn right. I posted some pic of it.

****I urge let this be a lesson to everyone to not be as stupid as me, PAINTING IS HARD, you need the proper tools and practice to really be able to do it right, and a car with 180k is never worth trying to paint yourself.

Now back to the matter at hand, the story really irrevelent I was just to give a warning to everyone, and honestly I needed to to vent to people. So the hood looks bad but the clearcoat is good. I just want to make the hood look atleast as good it did when I got it. So I was thinking since the car has a good clearcoat I could vinyl wrap the hood i think sometime subtle matte white wrap or anything that might look good, atleast the color would be uniform, however there is some sharp corners near the bottom of the hood that might be tricky to wrap. Then wondering about plasti dip but that paint again I really worried I could screw that up. My last option is to learn to live with it and maybe sometime in the future, if figure out how to paint really take the project seriously and spend the proper time and money and get matched paint (25D is a tri-coat I dont know how that going to work) and fix it. Vinyl seems like the best option a I only plan to have the car for like 2-3 year, i change the wrap or baby it for the life of the car and it should be less of an eye sore and vinyl is hard to screw up, I thinking I would get something form Vvivid Vinyl they have quite good products, but what color and finsh for a white car. So what do you all think I should do vinyl, plasti dip or let it be, Im not going get painted professional its just not worth the cost to reallt get it down well.

* dont bother calling be an idiot I know that that better then anyone, I guess I went alittle crazy once I bought the car it took a week for me to screw up the car, only really I screwed it up is because I figure since it was cheap car I could just fix kinda sorta fix it, definatly ruin any value the car could have had, I plan to run the car into the ground everything in the car is still great.

The brighter bits are the orginal paint its is a Tricoat White Pearl, the rest is me.

Ride
    Toyota Highlander Limited
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ruined my hood paint what should I do

Wrap the hood. That's what I did instead of dealing with the stone chips. Since you've gone this far you could always same and prime to get it even, or take it to a paint shop. Just have the hood primed then wrap it. Probably cheapest way to get back to the start

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk
    2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3, CWP
    Forged internals + GTX2871r
    // Build thread // Instagram: @sleepy.ms3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you wrap it your self, you think I can do it, would I really need to prime the hood the surface is really smooth, I since I have such a thick layer of clearcoat (I used 2k clear it was really good quality stuff) plus the orginal clear I can get it even smoother with some wet sanding, would that that suffice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry posted the same pic twice, cant find a way to edit the post sorry, here as another angle

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by syasar View Post
    Sorry posted the same pic twice, cant find a way to edit the post sorry, here as another angle

Hi. I can't see your pictures. You should download tapatalk. It's easier to post pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jackal For This Useful Post:

syasar (08-27-2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    Hi. I can't see your pictures. You should download tapatalk. It's easier to post pictures.

Sorry there you go

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't look to bad although those pics are in a dark setting.

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ruined my hood paint what should I do

Not too bad. But I agree DIY painting takes practice and the results are generally not professional standard.

Wrap it sounds good. I think we used to have a sponsor for that. Wrap id i think. Wrapping I would think would cost you a couple of hundred dollars or you could buy the vinyl yourself and DIY.
    If you get it painted, you'd need to get the whole hood painted. Probably cost you $500. The cost is just a guess which would be more than you're willing to pay I think.

Last edited by Jackal; 08-28-2017 at 03:49 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jackal For This Useful Post:

syasar (08-28-2017)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

+1 Wrap it (around $100)
    Mine had a lot if stone chips and looked horrible - wrapped it gloss black which somewhat matches the paint and its hard to tell its wrapped at all - it has so far held up pretty good over 2 years as well.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiewan For This Useful Post:

syasar (08-28-2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So yea guess im just gonna wrap it, do u guys think i should go for matte white or should i just wrap it gloss white, not sure if the gloss white would get match the other panel tho. Im open to suggestion.

*by the way if anyone was wondering what it looked like in the daylight, its embrassing but here you go

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrapping the hood is inexpensive and easier to do yet not a permanent solution.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

do gloss white.

matte wont come close to matching and will look odd

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiewan View Post
    do gloss white.

matte wont come close to matching and will look odd
    The reason i said matte white was because i figured if it wasnt gonna match anyways, why not embrace the ricer look haha. Ordered a couple sample swatch of vinyl waiting to choose, by all means keep suggustion coming.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey guys quick update the vinyl didnt work lol, the clearcoat did not hold up. Everytime I tried to reposition the vinyl, it peeled off the clearcoat, I applied. I had to throw away the vinyl, and the hood is alot more messed up then before. Rip me, all together this big screw up wasted $300.

Ride
    Toyota Highlander Limited
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But think of all the things you've learned! We've all been there It does suck when it's so visible though, but you're not the first, and you won't be the last. Use it as a life lesson. Good luck

19. The Following User Says Thank You to shift8 For This Useful Post:

syasar (09-21-2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could sand the hood down, so that it is even, reprime it, then go to a place that mixes cans by your vin number and repaint.

However with a large panel like a hood might be hard to do it without tiger striping.

Or... pay to have it resprayed.

Or.... sand, prime, vinyl

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave_The_BMXER For This Useful Post:

shift8 (09-19-2017)

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get a quote from Automagicians. A TM3 sponsor or try a mobile painter guy I use.
    Kevin at Paintforce. +1 (416) 627-3948
    kevin.neylan@paintforce.net
    Send him a pic and ask for a quote. Good luck whatever you decide.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jackal For This Useful Post:

syasar (09-21-2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    Get a quote from Automagicians. A TM3 sponsor or try a mobile painter guy I use.
    Kevin at Paintforce. +1 (416) 627-3948
    kevin.neylan@paintforce.net
    Send him a pic and ask for a quote. Good luck whatever you decide.

I went and talk to marco at automagician, he gave a quote however. He didnt reccomend trying to respray the hood as it would just be to expense. With it being pearl white, the getting my clearcoat that still left off. It is alot of work and recconmended that i either try vinyl again or get a aftermarket hood and have that painted. A macco guy said the same think. I dont blame them, it makes sense. I gonna see what your other painter says.

The clearcoat coming off acutally i allowing me to remove the rattle can paint, as it is laquer and laquer thinner is removing it rather easy. I went to a macco the guy there said the clear failed not beacuase the clearocoat but more so because clearcoat easpecially the kind I was using (spraymax 2k), doesnt bond to well with laquer paints. I might try to remove all the clearcoat I put on, just so I can use laquer removs and very carefully remove all the spray paint and get me back to a better point. It might be alot easlier to fix.

Im not banking, it might be a temp fix while i figure out what to do. There would still be the primed stone chips, and the faded area where i sanded to much. It prob be a better place to start. Right now I leaning towards actually finding a used/salavaged hood. I just dont know how to navigate around salvage yards. I dont wanna get scammed special order get a rusty hood i have to pay for or make long trip to yards and find nothing. There is a white hood same year in a caledon yard for a reasonable price, however there is some minor damge on it and i cant determine how bad it is unless i make a 50 min drive to the yard. Ideally if anyone on here is parting out a white gen1 mazda3 hatch, it would be awesome.

Anyways thanks for support anyone, glad i had a place to talk.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or see if you can find a color matched used hood

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Default User For This Useful Post:

natspriceless (09-20-2017),syasar (09-21-2017)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strip off the paint and let it patina.

2010 Mazda3 Graphite Mica GS Auto with Comfort Package

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Chester_Lampwick For This Useful Post:

syasar (09-22-2017)

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used hood sounds good.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You probably already know that, buy you really didn't do any research on it. Paining automotive is a lot harder to do than general painting in order to get nice finish.

I've been prepping to paint by bike (with air spray gun) and the tools and supplies alone will set you $300-400 (without compressor) cost. With paint 80% is the prep and 20% is the actual paint. With base coat and clear coat system, your base does not have to smooth and shiny, that's what the clear coat is for, but it does have to have uniform coverage. On bare metal you probably want to use primer sealer to seal the metal.

Also most of the paints used are urethane, not lacquer, which does not age very well. Also I don't know what 2K paint for spay can is as 2K means the paint is two part and requires a catalyst (reducer) in order to "dry". Also spray can will not atomize the paint as good and it will be hard to use unless you can hang your part vertically.
    Last edited by r4BBiT; 10-02-2017 at 12:34 PM.
    2010 Mazda 3 GS (daily driver)
    2008 Mercedes-Benz C230 4MATIC Sport + Premium Package (wife's car)
    1991 Honda Civic Hatchback DX (parted and wrecked)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can get 2k spray cans.

They activate and will harden in the can if you don't use it all up.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave_The_BMXER For This Useful Post:

r4BBiT (10-03-2017)