Thread: Front Strut replacement: leaking badly - had only 1 replaced

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Front Strut replacement: leaking badly - had only 1 replaced

With my 2005 Mazda3, I was at the dealer the other day. I was in for a routine maintenance. However, the tech noticed quite a bit leaking from the passenger front strut. I did not notice any unusual noises. I wasn't sure of the consequences of driving with the strut in that condition.

The service advisor recommended I replace both struts; however, due to costs I could only afford the one. Dealer charged me 1.3 hours labour plus parts. It was about $360 including new bearings (around $30).

I am wonder what are my options now. Should I go to Midas, Speedy and get an aftermarket strut, bring my own parts etc. I haven't done any costing. I will need to save up for the cost should I replace the driver's strut before it leaks again. The dealer is also on my case telling me to replace my PCV (which is another $300) as a preventative measure. I have 105K right now.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Made in BC.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Front Strut replacement: leaking badly - had only 1 replaced

if the driver side still looks good you don't need to replace it yet if ur low on cash. You might feel some weirdness in ur suspension but its not that bad. Im driven my car with leaking rear shock before its not that bad aside from constant rattle. Save up some cash and buy koni yellow strut and shocks then go to jimmy(street performance) for installation. Its cheaper option than doing it at the dealership. And if ur gonna change the rear shocks might as well replace the rear shock mount.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    With my 2005 Mazda3, I was at the dealer the other day. I was in for a routine maintenance. However, the tech noticed quite a bit leaking from the passenger front strut. I did not notice any unusual noises. I wasn't sure of the consequences of driving with the strut in that condition.

The service advisor recommended I replace both struts; however, due to costs I could only afford the one. Dealer charged me 1.3 hours labour plus parts. It was about $360 including new bearings (around $30).

I am wonder what are my options now. Should I go to Midas, Speedy and get an aftermarket strut, bring my own parts etc. I haven't done any costing. I will need to save up for the cost should I replace the driver's strut before it leaks again. The dealer is also on my case telling me to replace my PCV (which is another $300) as a preventative measure. I have 105K right now.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    1) Don't waste your money on expensive Koni on a 2005!
    2) Go buy another Mazda strut + bearing for the other side (go to an affiliate dealer for 20% discount) and take it to Jimmy for install
    3) Make sure you get an alignment done (did the dealer do one after they replaced that one strut?) I go to Al Tech in Etobicoke for $70 cash alignments
    4) Check the rear shocks and mounts - if car bounces or leaking or cracked mount(s) replace both at once now - again go to Jimmy with the parts. The Mazda OEM shocks come with everything including mount and and bump stop
    5) Avoid places like Midas/Speedy/Green Ross etc
    6) PCV recommendation is a cash grab - save your $
    Last edited by sarujo; 09-09-2017 at 02:45 PM.

2010 Sport 2.0L 5MT

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sarujo For This Useful Post:

Google (09-12-2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarujo View Post
    1) Don't waste your money on expensive Koni on a 2005!
    Nothings wrong putting koni on a 2005 mazda3 with 105km...... at least he has the option to use lowering springs if he want to.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

My alignment is fine. The tech must've marked things that an alignment wasn't necessary. I haven't really notice [much] of a difference with the new shock installed. In fact, I didn't notice anything before either and I tend to easily pick up on these things. So when I heard about the strut needing replacing, I was quite surprised. Maybe it just happened onto the dealer. I don't think they scammed me though.

I thought about the lowering the springs, but no. I will do the essential maintenance on the car which includes installing new rotors, maybe pistons if necessary. The shocks seem to be as far as I will go. I will need a new set of tires soon. If I need more extensive work done like additional suspension, engine or tranny work I will just get rid of the car.