Thread: Rear koni blew out =(

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Rear koni blew out =(

hi all,

So my rear koni yellow blew out today (driver side) with oil leaking after about 120 000 km. I am on eibach prokit springs
    I emailed koni for the warranty replacement program, but I think there will be some downtime (application processing, shipping)

Since the milage on the rear passenger is about the same, assuming it's near the end of its life, I should probably change it as a pair right?
    Would I be buying a new rear shock from koni and have 1 free replacement. So technically, the life time warranty usually doesn't cover everything since you have to buy one for the opposite side most of the time.

So in the meantime while waiting, would it be okay
    -to drive the car at city speed (60km/h) and slow cornering? would it cause damage to the car (there is quite a bit of clunking when driving)?
    -or should I temporarily put in the stock shock for now and drive slowly

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by ptgrad2012; 09-10-2017 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rear koni blew out =(

Quote Originally Posted by ptgrad2012 View Post
    hi all,

So my rear koni yellow blew out today (driver side) with oil leaking after about 120 000 km. I am on eibach prokit springs
    I emailed koni for the warranty replacement program, but I think there will be some downtime (application processing, shipping)

Since the milage on the rear passenger is about the same, assuming it's near the end of its life, I should probably change it as a pair right?
    Would I be buying a new rear shock from koni and have 1 free replacement. So technically, the life time warranty usually doesn't cover everything since you have to buy one for the opposite side most of the time.

So in the meantime while waiting, would it be okay
    -to drive the car at city speed (60km/h) and slow cornering? would it cause damage to the car (there is quite a bit of clunking when driving)?
    -or should I temporarily put in the stock shock for now and drive slowly

Thanks in advance
    Depending where you purchased the shock, many re-sellers will help you with an advance RMA. You buy one new shock, you replace the blown shock, they return the blown shock to Koni, they get refund, then you get a refund.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S.F.W. View Post
    Depending where you purchased the shock, many re-sellers will help you with an advance RMA. You buy one new shock, you replace the blown shock, they return the blown shock to Koni, they get refund, then you get a refund.
    I got it from alphamotor's Mo back in 2013, do you know if he's does this service?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ptgrad2012 View Post
    I got it from alphamotor's Mo back in 2013, do you know if he's does this service?
    Not sure, but I expect he would.