Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2010 Catastrophic Engine Failure @ 104K Km's

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here on the TM3 forums, and unfortunately, not under the best of circumstances to say the least. I've owned 2 M3's in the past 10 years, both of which were purchased brand new. First one I bought was a 2008 model but got into a serious not-at-fault accident with it about a year and change after purchase and the car had to be written off. Worked out perfectly for me as it gave me an opportunity to pick up the newly redesigned 2010 model that I was eyeing while I had the 2008. I've been driving and enjoying the car every since, and did all my regular oil changes up until a couple of months ago. In the past few days, I noticed a really sharp scratching sound coming from the engine compartment so I brought it in to my mechanic who broke the news to me that my engine was essentially shot. Something to do with the piston possibly being being and scraping along the wall of the chamber (please excuse my incorrect usage of mechanical terms as I'm not an avid car guy).

I couldn't believe my ears when he said this as the car has not even 104K clicks on it, and I did all my regular oil changes as scheduled. Most of my driving was between North York and Mississauga and back over the course of the first 7 years of ownership, and in the last year, I've hardly put any mileage on it as I've been self-employed and using the vehicle infrequently. My mechanic says that he recommends I stay away from Mazda as they are known for having engine problems and is steering me towards a Toyota (of which I'm not big fan of the styling) or a Honda (I really do like the styling of the new 2016/2017 Civics so that's what I'm leaning towards).

I'm considering getting another Mazda 3 as I do like the newer models as well, although I realize that I could end up subjecting myself to the same disappointment down the road if I do that, but I would really only consider that if Mazda is willing to meet me part way and either: 1) replace the engine on my existing car so that I can sell it for a reasonable price, 2) offer me a decent trade-in value for my car (as though it were working properly) towards the purchase of either a used 2015/2016 model, or even a new 2017/2018 unit if the discount is tempting enough. I guess my question to you guys is would you even entertain doing what I proposed above if you were in the same situation, or should I just cut my losses and move on to a more reliable brand?

P.S. If anyone is in the market for a nice fixer-upper, hit me up! Lol.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2010 Catastrophic Engine Failure @ 104K Km's

Too bad about the news! I'd say that's a little heavy-handed of your mechanic to claim that Mazda's are known for engine problems; they're a ford duratec engine which has been around for years (there's also plenty of high-milers on this forum too...I'm at 265,000 on my 2010!). Now, that being said, if you're going for a post 2014 Mazda 3, the engine is completely new and has left its Ford DNA behind. Your cheapest option is to just get a wrecker engine installed and you'll more than likely be ok. If Mazda will give you reasonable goodwill on a trade-in, go for that, too!

I must mention, too, that while you may have been doing regular oil changes, if your oil ever dipped below the 2L mark (did you keep an eye on your oil between changes?), you really risk introducing a main bearing fault, which this most likely is. These cars, like many others, can eat oil by the drop, or by the Litre, depending on what brand you use and Regular vs/ Synthetic.

Otherwise, find a car that you love (brand aside), because if any of those cars let you down in the future, you have to be able to still look at it and smile.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by morganc; 09-28-2017 at 02:10 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to morganc For This Useful Post:

schulich98 (09-29-2017)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your looking for a new Mazda you should talk to @Jeff-TheBiz

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a 2012 Mazda 3 GT with 23800km blow the engine. I assume bearing spun and the piston was hitting the spark plug.

I have also owned many Mazda's. the 2.3 and 2.5 are not great engines, but the 2.0 seems to have been bulletproof. I am currently on my 6th Mazda 3, and I love them.

The 2014+ has the skyactiv engine, which I have not heard of the 2.0 or 2.5 having issues with catastrophic failure. I'd recommend it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current: 2012 Mazdaspeed3 Tech CWP
    Mods to Date:
    Custom Halo headlights, DRL delete, Kenwood DNX890HD, Kenwood KFC-3009 x2(12"), Kenwood 1800Watt Amp, LED interior lights, LED switchbacks, LED fogs.
    Previous:2012 Mazda 3 Sky-GS in CWP, 2012 16W Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2010 CWP Mazda 3 GT Hatchback SOLD, 2009 Metropolitan Grey Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2007 Carbon Grey Mica Mazda 3 GS Hatch SOLD

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Reddie1337 For This Useful Post:

schulich98 (09-29-2017)

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On my 4th mazda in 12 years. Beat the crap out of all my cars. Over maintain them because I can and want to. 2 first gens with 2.0l absolutely bullet proof(still have 1) 1 2.5l which I didn't own it long enough to tell the story, but it sucked fuel like it was going out of style. Surprisingly fuel Econ improved when I started modifying it. And my speed which, knock on wood is going strong.
    Now I work for a dealer (non mazda) and cars with as low as 15k Km's need engines. Don't let the mileage fool you.
    Last edited by McGuyver_3; 09-29-2017 at 08:27 PM. Reason: changed increase to improve
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder - trade in, 2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey - Write off, 2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan CWP- trade in, 2010 Speed 3 w/tech CWP - Up for sale (soon), 2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- motor swapped in to 2009 MS3 CWP that had blown engine, 2002 BMW 330ci silver- new winter ride, 2005 BMW M3- new toy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to McGuyver_3 For This Useful Post:

schulich98 (09-29-2017)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for all the feedback and sharing your experiences with me. I spoke to the head GM of Sales at the dealership where I purchased the car from. He said that even with the problem that the car has, they would still be interested in taking it in on trade, but the question for me is what are they willing to offer for it. He's going to come to my home personally this coming Monday to assess the vehicle and I'll see what he has to say about it, and what kind of offer he has in mind. He obviously wants to keep me within the Mazda family and not lose me to a competitor, so I would think that an intelligent business man would do everything in his power, while still being able to make a profit, to give me the best deal possible rather than risking the potential fallout that may occur from a dissatisfied customer. Then again, bad press hasn't seemed to diminish the number of cases of people reporting serious engine failures with low mileage, nor has it resulted in the manufacturers caving in and forking out compensation or huge discounts on new vehicles to appease those with car problems.

As a last resort, I'm even considering taking Mazda to small claims. I've found several reports in this forum alone of people complaining that even with regular maintenance, they're encountered serious engine failures at between 110K to 150K on average, with even some cases of failure occurring at less than that. I realize that I would likely lose any case that I file against them, but that would also mean that Mazda would have to expend money to pay someone to represent them in court at trial, which could potentially cost them more than it would to try and settle out of court. Best case scenario, the case goes to trial and the lawyer for Mazda doesn't appear, in which case it's possible that I would win a default judgment against them. Biggest risk for me is $95 to file the case in court, but the potential for payoff is so much greater, so are there any arguments against why I wouldn't want to consider that option???

Ride
    Vixxxen
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schulich98 View Post
    so are there any arguments against why I wouldn't want to consider that option???[/B]
    We're talking about a huge company with a dedicated legal department...

You wont be able to use the fact that you've read about this issue on forums because anyone can write anything they want online and there is usually much more to the story than people admit. You wont be able to validate their claims with 100% certainty; it can't be treated as factual evidence.

What are you really expecting as a pay out? Remember, nobody died or was injured as a result of this so if you are expecting anything more than the value of a new engine it's wishful thinking.

I personally think that if the GM is willing to work with you, stick with that. Or part the car out and recoup as much money as you can...you'd be surprised how well you could do with that option.
    My Parents bought me more Hot Wheels than Barbies when I was little...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to natspriceless For This Useful Post:

schulich98 (09-30-2017)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by natspriceless View Post
    We're talking about a huge company with a dedicated legal department...

You wont be able to use the fact that you've read about this issue on forums because anyone can write anything they want online and there is usually much more to the story than people admit. You wont be able to validate their claims with 100% certainty; it can't be treated as factual evidence.

What are you really expecting as a pay out? Remember, nobody died or was injured as a result of this so if you are expecting anything more than the value of a new engine it's wishful thinking.

I personally think that if the GM is willing to work with you, stick with that. Or part the car out and recoup as much money as you can...you'd be surprised how well you could do with that option.

I completely understand your point and couldn't agree with you more that it would be an uphill battle to try and make a case of it in court. I'm only considering that option as a last resort should Mazda make me some ridiculous offer like $500 bucks for my vehicle, in which case it would be better to scrap. By going to trial, I also force them to send someone to represent them which also means that if they don't think it's worth paying a lawyer to defend, then there's the possibility that I could win a default judgment against them. If they choose to defend the case, then they have to also consider if: a) paying a lawyer several thousands of dollars to defend the case at trial and also lose a customer, is a smarter option than b) working out a solution whereby they either replace the engine or give me an fair discount on the purchase of a new vehicle. Option b) is what I'm working towards with my dealership's GM of Sales, but again, I don't know what he's going to offer and if the offer is inadequate, then I'll force them into the position of exercising option a) which may make the company reconsider option b) again. I got nothing to lose anyways as I'm out of a vehicle and I'll have to purchase another one anyways, but better for Mazda if that vehicle happens to be one of theirs, even if it means that they may have to make me a better offer.

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't bother with court. These cases don't pan out. They will send a dedicated lawyer that they use. They would rather pay the lawyer than pay out. Working at a dealer I have seen this time and time again. Keep in mind, 95$ filing charge and your time that you invest. Lets be honest, your car is not new, a scrap yard engine goes for around 800-1000$ and that's probably what you are going to get. They are not going to put a new motor in for you unless you pay for it. I doubt the GM is going to offer you 500$, after all like you mentioned, they want to retain you as a customer. Because lets face it, if the car is in good shape, they could still make some money on it even after repairs.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to McGuyver_3 For This Useful Post:

schulich98 (09-30-2017)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My $.02

This is super bad luck, but unfortunately that's about all it is. FWIW my brother and I both had 2010's with 2.5L. I had auto, he still has his manual. He bought his brand new. I bought mine 4 years old with 72K on it.

My bro's car now has about 250 or 260K on it. Outside of regular maintenance he's done an engine idler pulley and a wheel bearing. That said his A/C has crapped out on him this year.
    My car was taken from me at about 3.5 yrs of ownership with 175K on it. I had done nothing at all other than maintenance until I was rear ended and the car written off.

All I'm trying to say is that shit happens, and it's just bad luck that yours happened at 104k, then it's just more bad luck that it took 7 yrs to get to 104K.

IMO court will be a waste of time and effort. The unfortunate truth is you are well outside of warranty period (I assume you didn't purchase extended coverage). It would've been different if you hit 104k inside of the 5 yr powertrain, or even just after it finished. But ~2 years out is far enough out that anything Mazda does at this point will be "goodwill" and is certainly not required.

Be prepared not to get a full trade in value for your car. The dealer may give you a higher as-is value than other dealers based on your history and rapport with them. If you want out of the car, other than scrapping it, they are probably your best chance at letting it go as-is and walking away from it.

If you want to keep your car get it to a mechanic who isn't against Mazdas and get a quote for an engine replacement. Or let your trusted on price it out if its work he's willing to do.

If it settles your mind at all, I replaced my 2010 Mazda3 with the 2017 version of it. I looked around and tried to justify getting something different - looking at both used and new cars in my price range - but in my humble opinion is that the 3 was still the best bang for it's buck in it's class. My only regret is that Mazda no longer sells the 6 wagon which I would've loved to move up to when I bought my 3.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to studum For This Useful Post:

schulich98 (09-30-2017)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, so it seems that the consensus is court will be a waste of time and effort and as enthusiastic as I would have been at the opportunity, I would have to agree with you guys. I'm going to give my dealership the opportunity to do right by me and see what we can work out as far as a trade-in towards the purchase of another vehicle is concerned. If they lowball me on the trade-in, then I'll consider other options in terms of where I purchase my M3 from. There's a ton available on Auto Trader for 2015's and 2016's at around 14K to 15K so no point in buying a new one from a dealer for $25K. If they have any used ones from those years for around $15K to $16K then I would still consider purchasing from them. I know that a lot of the ones from those years are off-lease vehicles or come from rental companies, so any tips on what I should look out for?

Assuming that I don't get the trade-in value that I want on my scrapper, do you guys have any suggestions on how I could part out the vehicle and where I should advertise the parts to get the most bang for my buck? Given that I'm not a mechanic and not familiar with all the parts of the vehicle, one option I was considering was to create a free basic website and list pictures of all of the parts online, then people can browse through the images of what I have available and contact me for anything that they might be interested in. If I go that route, I'll be sure to share my site with you guys so that you get first dibs on any parts that may be compatible with your cars. After all, it's the least that I could do given that you've taken the time out of your schedules to help out a brother in need.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2010 2.0L @ 160k (7.5years) here and zero oil consumption, clean tailpipe and runs perfect. The 2.0L MZR is a solid motor as far as I'm concerned. Seems like bad luck to me.

Wondering if the OP has taken the car for a second opinion (ie Jimmy etc). If it really is the motor, a replacement from the wreckers is much much cheaper than dropping $15K+ on another used ride....

2010 Sport 2.0L 5MT

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sarujo For This Useful Post:

schulich98 (09-30-2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarujo View Post
    2010 2.0L @ 160k (7.5years) here and zero oil consumption, clean tailpipe and runs perfect. The 2.0L MZR is a solid motor as far as I'm concerned. Seems like bad luck to me.

Wondering if the OP has taken the car for a second opinion (ie Jimmy etc). If it really is the motor, a replacement from the wreckers is much much cheaper than dropping $15K+ on another used ride....
    '05 2.3 @ 320k. Burn approx 1/2 litre per 10k oil change duration and runs like a Swiss watch.

I second that comment; Get a second opinion on the engine condition first, and if it is shot, a wreckers engine would cost you maybe $1500 installed. Far less then purchasing a used vehicle, which you have no guarantee either that, that engine won't go.

_3
    Last edited by Flagrum_3; 09-30-2017 at 04:25 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Flagrum_3 For This Useful Post:

schulich98 (09-30-2017)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, all you people that are talking about how great your engines are running after 500 years and 4 million kilometers aren't really helping me feel better about the whole situation. Lol.

I'm going to take it in for a second opinion with another shop around the corner and see what they have to say about it. My main guy is quoting me $2500 for a replacement engine including labour and a 30 day warranty. Based on what some other posters have quoted, sounds like it could be a bit high. If the other mechanic recommends a replacement, I'll ask him what he's charging and see how much of a difference there is between the two.

To those who said it's cheaper to replace the engine then get another used vehicle. Yes, that may be true but a car that's 1 or 2 years old has the balance of the factory warranty included. It also probably won't need tires, brakes, rotors or calipers replaced for a while, some of which I'll have to replace on my car soon as well. More importantly, while anything can still go wrong with the engine, I won't know the history of a wreckers engine, which means I have no idea as to how much mileage it has, what the service history was, what parts were replaced and so on. Also a greater chance that it'll burn oil and that the engine could crap out on me after the warranty period and then I'm spending good money after bad in a lost cause and will probably still have to replace it with another vehicle.

I want to cut my losses at this point and recoup whatever I can from the car. If both mechanics agree that a replacement engine is the only option, then getting another vehicle is the only alternative that I'd be interested in considering. A lot of you guys may be handy with cars and be able to source parts and fix things if somethings goes wrong, but I'm not, and spending another few grand on a donor engine with no guarantee as to its history and condition is not something that sounds appealing to me.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@schulich98 -If your interested I have a garage here in Scarborough (Kennedy/401 area), which I recommend. They do engine Re n Res' all the time. I'll bet they'll beat the price you were given by quite an amount and they stand by their work 100%.

If interested message me, I'll give you the contact info.

_3

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Flagrum_3 For This Useful Post:

schulich98 (10-02-2017)

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have a 2010 GT. No engine issues or other issues. Just regular maintenance. I am at around 105k. I wonder what the cause of the scraping was. Did you change the oil yourself or did you bring it to a shop for oil changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Jackal For This Useful Post:

schulich98 (10-02-2017)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Flagrum_3 Thank you for the info, and I'll be reaching out to you shortly to obtain their contact information. Having said that, you wouldn't by any chance happen to be getting kickbacks through referrals, would you? I see that you have a lot of posts in this forum, but I'm new and have to be cautious with any recommendations and endorsements of repair shops/dealers/aftermarket service centers that people give out. Just because someone is affiliated with or receives compensation from a place that they recommend doesn't meant that they're not reputable, but have to take any and all advice with a grain of salt.

@ Jackal For the first few years I always brought it in for an oil change, sometimes with the dealer and sometimes with my local mechanic. For the last few years of its life, I had my personal mechanic do the oil changes exclusively.

Just to update you guys on what's been happening, I went to start my car today to bring it to another mechanic for a second opinion, and now the car won't turn over at all so I'm going to have to hold off on getting another mechanic to check it out. I went ahead and called Jeff from MoT, and he was up front with me saying that he doesn't typically deal in used vehicles, but if I could find a way to get the car into their dealership that he would have their team evaluate it and give me an appraisal on it. I'm going to give my dealership first shot at an appraisal and hopefully the fact that I'm a returning customer will have some impact on their offer so we'll see what they come back with. Either way, I still want to get at least two appraisals before I make any decision on what to do with it, so once Prima Mazda has their say, I'll bring it into Jeff's place. I've got 4 free tows with CAA so I'll have them tow it to Prima first and then to MoT. I'll let you guys know tomorrow what Prima has to say about it. Stay tuned...

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to part it out, take a look at our forums under "Parts". Plenty of examples there of fellow users parting out their M3's! Just get some more posts under your belt (to be eligible to post in the marketplace) and follow the posting rules!

Quote Originally Posted by schulich98 View Post

Assuming that I don't get the trade-in value that I want on my scrapper, do you guys have any suggestions on how I could part out the vehicle and where I should advertise the parts to get the most bang for my buck? Given that I'm not a mechanic and not familiar with all the parts of the vehicle, one option I was considering was to create a free basic website and list pictures of all of the parts online, then people can browse through the images of what I have available and contact me for anything that they might be interested in. If I go that route, I'll be sure to share my site with you guys so that you get first dibs on any parts that may be compatible with your cars. After all, it's the least that I could do given that you've taken the time out of your schedules to help out a brother in need.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to morganc For This Useful Post:

schulich98 (10-03-2017)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So just to update everyone, I've decided to list it on various sites and have had a few decent offers already. I'll just keep listing it and I'm sure that I'll end up finding the right buyer for it within the next week or two otherwise I'll just contact the people that have already reached out to me and settle on one of their offers, assuming that they're still interested. Honestly never expected to get the offers that I did for the car, so I was pleasantly surprised. Thought for sure it would be a $500 scrapper. Thanks again to all of you for your input and helping me make the most of this predicament.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 2010 has 220 000 km and I only changed one bearing and one rear suspension

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea lots to read so sorry if it was said. but i think taking them to court would be a loss on your end. pretty sure 5 years and 100k is power train warranty and both of those are over. its not like its under mileage and time and the dealer has declined you coverage. also for your oil changes are you using a factory filter and 5w20 oil? or something your mechanic had supplied? also was it done on time? or did you wait until you did the km? that could also have been an issue and contribute to premature failure. i have about 169k on my car. used synth since its first service and either a mazda filter or k&n so far so good.

i mean if the cars in good shape and paid off. find a used motor low k with a 1 year warranty and spend the 2-3 grand to put it in if it even costs that much. why sell it and get another car with another monthly payment. if the car is a heap then trade it in. get what you can and move on. but i would consider mazda for another car. mine has been nothing but a pleasure to drive. is low maint and a friend and coworker of mine who had worked at mazda before i did and works with me at hyundai now took it for a drive tuesday and couldnt believe how well it still drives and the shape its in. so again if its good keep it and fix it. if its not good. junk it.

toyota is nice. borning but reliable cars to drive. honda.. nope i wouldnt not with the most recent engine failures on the civic and that they are all small and or tubos now. no thanks. but if your considering a nice new hyundai go for the elantra sport sedan 1.6L turbo. sure is a nice car to drive and that engine has been in the veloster for ages never any crazy issues. but that car front to back is nice and fully loaded for 28k.

good luck what ever you do

post the link here. maybe someone i know would want it to fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut