Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Anti Rust coating

Hi Folks,

Can any one suggest me the place to get anti rust coating for my mazda3? Since winter is near by i would like to get it done quicker.

i got 2017 model, so is it suggested to have anti rust?

Thanks
    Raju

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Anti Rust coating

The tried and true method is Krown. Since your car is new, you can opt for a surface spray only, rather than the treatment where they drill holes and fill in hidden voids. This service normally runs about $50+. Once the car is a little older, you can have them drill the holes and that runs about $120.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point of drilling holes is to prevent any moisture that gets trapped inside doors from causing rust to develop. The longer you wait, the greater the chance of corrosion starting.

Having said that, I'm not sure it will help our cars all that much - most of the trouble spots in our cars are the rear fenders / wheel wells, and also corrosion due to poor quality metal that Mazda uses (already have 4 minor corrosion spots that are popping up from underneath on the door step in the back on my 2014.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So whats the conclusion? having surface Spray or getting drilled? please suggest.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get it drilled and rustproofed by Krown.

I had an 06 Mazda 3 with no rust (which I sprayed every year) and an 08 which was sprayed like for the first 2 or 3 years and then we stopped. The 06 has no rust on it while the 08 is starting to rust around the wheel well

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Corrosion Free is another option. I don't think they drill holes. It doesn't drip all over your driveway either.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion, drilling holes is not necessary - it will just drip oil all over, and by the time you see doors rusted, your rear fenders will be missing major chunks due to rust.

Spraying the underside and specifically fender wells annually is your best protection.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gta_driver View Post
    In my opinion, drilling holes is not necessary - it will just drip oil all over, and by the time you see doors rusted, your rear fenders will be missing major chunks due to rust.

Spraying the underside and specifically fender wells annually is your best protection.
    Drilling holes is absolutely necessary if you want complete coverage, and it is hugely exaggerated the amount of leakage that occurs after a spray. I've been spraying for 12 years now, never had an issue. They drill holes giving them access to the interior of the rear quarter panels as well as all other panels, doors and including rocker panels. They also spray underneath the car and around all fenders....The underneath of my car for instance looks brand new and no fender rust as yet.

It comes down to whether you prefer a 'proper' job, or a 'mediocre' job done. Drilling holes is the only proper method for full coverage bar none, and with no detrimental effects.

My suggestion to the OP is Krown yearly.

_3

Ride
    2008 Eclipse GS 2.4L 4G69
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just made an appointment with Krown Lakeshore. I believe they still give a discount for us TM3 members

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My father sprayed his Dodge minivan at Krown <undisclosed>, and they drilled holes. When he opened the door once to replace window motor, most of the door was dry, with only some spray here and there.

YMMV

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gta_driver View Post
    My father sprayed his Dodge minivan at Krown <undisclosed>, and they drilled holes. When he opened the door once to replace window motor, most of the door was dry, with only some spray here and there.

YMMV
    The Krown formula is clear, in most cases its hard to see on clean panels as most of it runs down and only a very light film is left on the upper areas. I know I've had my door panels off several times. If your dad feels a proper job was not done, just take it back and have them re-spray it. The holes are drilled, it'll take them only minutes to do. Realize also most Krown locations are franchisees and don't want complaints going to head office.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ret-Ret View Post
    Just made an appointment with Krown Lakeshore. I believe they still give a discount for us TM3 members
    Went there once - wasnt happy with the work - came home and car didnt even drip once, hence their "discounted" work.

Went the next 3 years to Krown on the queensway, car drips oil for a month and still comes out of the trunk lid once spring warmth comes.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by markow202 View Post
    Went there once - wasnt happy with the work - came home and car didnt even drip once, hence their "discounted" work.

Went the next 3 years to Krown on the queensway, car drips oil for a month and still comes out of the trunk lid once spring warmth comes.
    I would hate for that to happen. Sometimes more is not necessarily better. I hate it when the rust proofing solution runs on my car in the summers. Super annoying to clean

By the sounds of it, you have too much of the compound which doesnt harm but it is a pain to clean your driveway and car in the warmer months