Thread: Help: No Fog lights or Daytime Running Lights (DRL) - 2009 Mazda3 GT Sedan

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Help: No Fog lights or Daytime Running Lights (DRL) - 2009 Mazda3 GT Sedan

Hey,

New to this forum and looking for some help/advice!

I bought the car from salvage as it was a theft recovery, car is in immaculate shape and runs and drives great but it needs to pass a basic inspection before I'm allowed to license it. All the issues found were very minor and easily fixed except for the daylight running lights and also fog lights are not working

I need to get this fixed before I can register and drive the car so hopeful for some help troubleshooting!

I've taken a few minutes to do the basic checks of the car, pulled the DRL fuse and it's fine, pulled the DRL relay and noticed that although the car was running it didn't click, I put the relay back in place and again no click. This relay is slightly different than the others ones in the fuse panel as well, not sure if they are interchangable or not the DRL relay has a extra pin between the coil terminals that the other relays do not have.

I'm hopeful that someone has a wiring diagram of the lighting circuit or else tips on what/where to check, I'll be getting out my voltmeter tonight to try and troubleshoot some more but it's always nicer having some ideas where to look and better yet a schematic to go over.

Thanks in advance

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Help: No Fog lights or Daytime Running Lights (DRL) - 2009 Mazda3 GT Sedan

You'll want to make sure you're getting 12V into the coil of the relay to make sure the switch isn't damaged on the turn stalk. Check the bulbs for continuity (I know, too simple) and also try powering the relays off of 12V outside of the car just to be sure they operate as expected. My 2010 won't light the DRLs when the parking brake is on, too, btw. Could also be an issue with auto on/off lights module if it's equipped with one. The relays won't necessarily be interchangeable; the extra pin means that the DRL relay has a Normally opened AND normally closed set of contacts in it.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Help: No Fog lights or Daytime Running Lights (DRL) - 2009 Mazda3 GT Sedan

Never thought about the switch on the turn stock, I suppose there would have to be something going thru it to turn off the DRL if you manually switch on your lights.

I'm going to check the relays after work, I grabbed a set of alligator clips so I'll jumper them to the battery and make sure they seem to switch. I found the schematic for the relays and you're right the DRL relay has the normally closed contact as well as the normally open where as every other relay simply has the NO contacts. Not sure what the NC contact on the DRL is doing/feeding??

But the pinout is the same for each style of relay, so I can at least swap them out to hear if they click or not. I also might try jumpering the COM to the NO contact just to see if the lights come on, at least if they do trace the problem back up the chain... or slap a relay into the fuse panel off an IGN switch to power the output of the DRL so it will look like it's working and be able to pass inspection

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, update.

Used my voltmeter and also tried different relays in the sockets, nothing. Checked both DRL and fog light fuses, they are ok

Jumpered the output of the driving light relay, driving lights came on. Jumpered the output of the fog light relay, fog lights came on

So... it's something further up. The E-Brake, the light on the dash goes out probably an inch before reaching the bottom of the stroke, so because the light on the dash is going on/off I would wager the E-Brake switch is working. I think I need a wiring schematic or else someone who is pretty knowledgable where the different signals all go and are being controlled from. I'd imagine the fog lights won't operate without the daylight running lights being on??? ie if you have the fog lights on, and lift up the E-Brake handle, I'm guessing the DRL and Fog lights should turn off??

Still debatable if the switch could be causing some issues, but again without a schematic it's tough to toubleshoot. The wrecker has (2) Mazda's that likely have switches that would work, but I'm not sure how easy or difficult it is to change them out?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More of an update.

It's dark out now, so I went out to the car to take it for a drive and noticed that the AUTO lights were not working. You can twist the switch to turn on the lights manually, but the auto feature is not working.

Another thing, may or may not be related I'm not sure. The rear view mirror was missing when I bought the car, and while at the wreckers picking one up I noticed the cars out there have behind the cover a black box with some wiring attached to it, mine didn't have this that I could see so I simply took the mirror and left. But, while I was connecting the mirror to my car I noticed above the headliner there was the wires and looks like someone cut/tucked the wires above. I think this sensor is simply for the rain sensing... but... maybe not?? Could this have something to do with the sensing for the daylight for Automatic lights? I always thought it was the sensor in the center front of the dash, but maybe not??

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, I checked it is the rain sensor, so I can't imagine it has anything to do with the lights... ... but... worth mentioning just in case it's something stupid like that

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggestions anyone??

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The cut wires are for auto lights and wipers. If you had a new windshield put in the car make sure they didn't put a non auto wiper/light windshield in. Common thing for people who want to save money which would explain the cutting of the wires and trying to hide it. If it's a regular window then there will be no spot for the sensor to attach to the window. If there is a "patch" on the window under the mirror this is where the sensor will sit. It will unusual.
    Your DRL problem, may be related to the PJB. This is located under passenger kick panel and they have been known to fail in the past. They are specific to year if you want to get a used one. Wreckers will usually ask for a portion of the part number
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder - trade in, 2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey - Write off, 2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan CWP- trade in, 2010 Speed 3 w/tech CWP - Up for sale (soon), 2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- motor swapped in to 2009 MS3 CWP that had blown engine, 2002 BMW 330ci silver- new winter ride, 2005 BMW M3- new toy

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McGuyver_3 View Post
    The cut wires are for auto lights and wipers. If you had a new windshield put in the car make sure they didn't put a non auto wiper/light windshield in. Common thing for people who want to save money which would explain the cutting of the wires and trying to hide it. If it's a regular window then there will be no spot for the sensor to attach to the window. If there is a "patch" on the window under the mirror this is where the sensor will sit. It will unusual.
    Your DRL problem, may be related to the PJB. This is located under passenger kick panel and they have been known to fail in the past. They are specific to year if you want to get a used one. Wreckers will usually ask for a portion of the part number

Thanks for the reply!

The windshield has a spot for the sensor, and there was even some glue residue on the spot where it mounts so as weird as it is someone seemingly removed the sensor, connector, and rear view mirror? Either way, went to the wrecker and found one and was able to use a torch to heat up the glass enough to gently remove the purple lens that attaches to the windshield. $10 for everything including a replacement wiperblade (Needed one anyway for the Mazda and the parts one had new ones) and a pocket full of relays and fuses just in case I needed them. Wired everything back into the car and glued the sensor in place and automatic wipers seem to be working again as they should, they seem maybe a smidge sensitive but considering I reused the clear glue pad that was on the purple lens I can't say for sure it's mounted perfectly clear so the sensors might not be picking up exactly as they should. I drove home with them on and even the slightest mist on the windshield would activate the wipers, but maybe that's normal?

I haven't tried the automatic lights since putting that sensor back on though, might have to try it next time it gets dark out or else cover the windshield above the sensor and see if they come on.

I'm really hoping it's not the passenger junction box... although google does show people having issues with them so can't rule it out. How difficult to remove? I read you need to take it in to be programmed after swapping it also? I'm hopeful there is a bit of date range that will interchange, I think the Mazda's at the wreckers are probably the 05-07 maybe 08 range... they don't often have vehicles newer than that so a 2009 I doubt they'd have that

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McGuyver_3 View Post
    The cut wires are for auto lights and wipers.

You were correct sir! Started the car, switched the lights to auto and threw my jacket overtop of the windshield above the sensor and they came on So, another side issue solved and working properly.

So just the DRL and Fog lights not working remains to be solved... no one here has a schematic how these systems function?? If I could just see how things are wired and could go over the logic I'd at least stand a fighting chance to figure out where to look.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manuals here including the electrical one. There used to be a shop site somewhere for troubleshooting but i cant seem to find it.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/95-maint...-download.html

Edit. Here we go.
    http://www.mazda3thailand.com/workshopmanual/
    2004 mazda 3 GT Sedan Indigo Blue.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabbygenier View Post
    Manuals here including the electrical one. There used to be a shop site somewhere for troubleshooting but i cant seem to find it.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/95-maint...-download.html

Edit. Here we go.
    http://www.mazda3thailand.com/workshopmanual/

Thanks for the links!

I figured I'd reply to let everyone know I figured it out. After hearing/reading all the issues with the passenger junction box and seeing pictures of burnt connectors I figured I might as well rip it apart and see if I could find any damage. I couldn't find anything wrong with the connectors, but while removing the PJB I found the green connector on the bottom side, had a couple cut wires! Do some digging around and yup, up behind the glovebox was the other half of the cut wires. Took the car into work, repaired the wires and all lights are operating as they should again and the car passed inspection and is back on the road!

I figure what happened was previous owner was an idiot and wanted to keep the command start and hacked it out. Whomever did the install of the command starter did a nice job, all connections soldered and heat shrunk but whomever took it out just used some side cutters and went to town. Also explains the missing rain sensor, I bet the idiot thought it was the antenna for the starter...

So anyway, figured I'd post to close to conversation and for any future people with issues gives them some insight where to start looking.