Thread: 06 Mazda3 2.3L GT Rod Knock [emoji24]

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 06 Mazda3 2.3L GT Rod Knock

Hey guys it finally happened, after all the speculations i posted on thw forum about noise coming form my car, problem after problem, not all engine related i should add. It finally happened the engine crapped on my, today after I left work in the morning the exhaust leak noise I thought i have been hearing at about 2700 rpm, changed it tone. So i was ok, thay strange, got to a long shift was headed to a meeting was late for. Take a left turn, boom sound like something just dropped. Thought the exhaust was hanging, didnt have time to worry about it. After the meeting, realized this could be far worse. Was driving home, my god I definately know what rod knock sounds like now; i was scared to my soul, poeple where starring me down. Lost of hesitation, very little power.

Luckly made it home, no cel yet. The rod knock is quiter in idle still loud, doesnt matter if I am in gear or not. It coming form the bottom end and the plastic skid plate is shaking like crazy. And at idle, the car could barely hold a steady idle, usually stay at aroud 1200 rpm, it was going up and down. The headlights were dimming on and off. Didnt try to push it any further, turned the car off and just left it in the driveway. Rod knock is scary, waited for the engine to cool and checked the oil, i wasnt dry level was good. Alittle dark but i think that was normal, they did put additives in last time that could have darkened it, its been about 3000km since 3.5 months ago. I was planning to get a oil change next week and this happended am I late let me know. All the symptoms sound like a spun rod bearing, correct me if im wrong.

So I dont know what to do, i dont want to give up on the car yet, i really want to get into the tuning community, and I think this could be an opperunity to learn, build something special.

Now lets consider my motor is actually blown, spun rod bearing; motor is not get fixed for $500 lol. Im proably looking at $2k+. Which really sucks, but i want to get something out of this car, make it worthwhile. Maybe build the motor with better internals, for boost in the future and generally better reliablity or just swap in a low kms used jdm motor (just another 2.3L). Either way i reaching deep into my pocket. I wanna save a little money if possible.

Havnt had a chance to call any shops, its sunday. I just dont know where to go form here, I have a mechanic I trust but I dont know how they would go about fixing the engine. I figure they would just swap the engine with scarpyard engine. If i do an engine swap, i ideally want a jdm engine (higher compression); might also be more reliable. Not sure if standard transmisson makes it more diffcult, not a whole lot of MT 2.3L, i checked on car-part.com. And Duratec 2.3L form a ford fusion cost about the same. There prob more engines to be found out there. So ideally a jdm swap.

I was looking up online and found a few shops Japan Auto Part & Service in Toronto, lots of good reviews on engine swap, repairs they rebuild in house i think with a warrenty. Also Japanese Automotive in Milton, they seem to be creditable. And my regular shops is Belen Automotive. I dont know where to go, its not gonna be cheap towing the car everywhere. Are there any other creditable and reasonable performance builder I can go to.

Guys where do think I should go, where should I got form here. I really dont want to scrap the car, and get another one it doesnt seem right, i put alot of time and effort into already; i might sound stupid, but im commitied to it and make it something great and unique. Either way im taking a loss, it car lol. Thought i vent alittle guys, sorry, let me know what you think.

*I bought the car 4 months ago, and its a 2006 Mazda3 Sport GT 190 000kms

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 06 Mazda3 2.3L GT Rod Knock

Swap it for a 2010/11 2.5L from a newer Mazda3.

I am having my swapped out as we speak. Clogged cat, failed coil, oxygen sensor and the dreaded quart of oil every 400-500km did it in.

I have a OEM Exedy clutch kit to go along with that engine. With that kind of mileage on your car, it's probably a good idea to replace it also. PM me if interested.

https://shop.exedyusa.com/exedy-oem/.../i-126271.aspx
    Last edited by baymoe; 10-23-2017 at 03:34 PM.
    |-----> Roof Rack <-----| Thule Base Rack - Rocky Mounts Bike Tray - Thule Ski Holder
    2007 GT Sedan 5spd CWP | Rays Mazdaspeed Wheels | Tri-Point Engineering Rear Swaybar
    SPC Camber Links | Bilstein Coilovers | Tint | LED Brake

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@baymoe atleast i not alone in this. Anyone else on this forum ever do a 2.3l to 2.5l swap on a mazda3. It seems to be a popluar swap after 3's start burning oil. I took it to a local shop they want $2800, to swap in another 2.3l that might just end up failing again. I want to put in a 2.5l form a ford fusion, im learning alot about the swap; many do it themselves in the garage. I cant do it myself, i will need help.

I need to find a shop that would be willing to do the swap. The only shop i found that has done this many times is in the texas lol. Doesnt seem like something shops want to promise they can do. I can provide a list of want needs to be done, its suck i have no experience actually doing it. It would be great if I find someone local that has done the 2.3l to 2.5l swap at shop. Let me know guys.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by syasar View Post
    @baymoe atleast i not alone in this. Anyone else on this forum ever do a 2.3l to 2.5l swap on a mazda3. It seems to be a popluar swap after 3's start burning oil. I took it to a local shop they want $2800, to swap in another 2.3l that might just end up failing again. I want to put in a 2.5l form a ford fusion, im learning alot about the swap; many do it themselves in the garage. I cant do it myself, i will need help.

I need to find a shop that would be willing to do the swap. The only shop i found that has done this many times is in the texas lol. Doesnt seem like something shops want to promise they can do. I can provide a list of want needs to be done, its suck i have no experience actually doing it. It would be great if I find someone local that has done the 2.3l to 2.5l swap at shop. Let me know guys.

As mentioned in our messages. Try Jimmy at Street Performance. He would visit these pages once in a while, hopefully he can chime in on whether he would be willing to take it on.