Thread: Dealer recommended unnecessary service

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Dealer recommended unnecessary service

I have a 2011 Mazda 3 hatch with the 2.5. I've always gone to the dealer for service especially while my car was still under warranty. Warranty expired last year but since I've always had a good experience with the dealer's service department, I kept going there for service.

Two weeks ago they contacted me for my regularly scheduled service, it was the 96K service this time which is an oil change and a brake service. Basically for the brake service they explained they will take the brakes apart, clean it, lube it up and reassemble (at least that's what I remember them saying). I agreed to get it done. I was not thrilled about the expense but I plan on using the car for a few more years so I thought it's worth it especially with the brake job. They recommended a fuel service also and to replace the serpentine belt but I was on a budget so I told them I will do it next time.

I keep all my old receipts and for some reason I decided to look at them tonight. It turns out my brakes were replaced in March of this year. I completely forgot about it. They have ALL my service records so they know about the new brakes but they still recommended a brake job as part of the service knowing full well that they just replaced it in March, merely 8 months ago. I put in about 12 or 13,000 kms per year, very low mileage and I drive mostly around the GTA. The car is certainly not used in unusually rough conditions. I'm no mechanic but I don't think the brake job was necessary at all. I feel ripped off. I will write an email to the service manager to tell him/her about this. Am I missing something here or am I right to be upset? Should I ask for my money back for the unnecessary brake service?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dealer recommended unnecessary service

Is this supposed to be a warning about all dealers or the just the specific dealership you failed to name?

Edit: Excellent first post btw
    2014 Mazda 3 GT

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At some dealerships the staff at the service counter work on commission. This can lead to some suggesting services that may not be 100% necessary but still beneficial.
    Please let the members know which dealership so they can be aware or avoid.
    You could also contact the dealer service manager or general manager to express your concern.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wrote an email to the service manager explaining the situation and asking for a refund for the brake job. I will give them a chance to redeem themselves.

Noob
    Ride
    2015 Mazda CX-5 GS
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Par for the course unfortunately.

Check my similar post here: http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...Scarboro-Mazda

That said, your post is kind of useless if you don't name the dealership...

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MainMan View Post
    I have a 2011 Mazda 3 hatch with the 2.5. I've always gone to the dealer for service especially while my car was still under warranty. Warranty expired last year but since I've always had a good experience with the dealer's service department, I kept going there for service.

Two weeks ago they contacted me for my regularly scheduled service, it was the 96K service this time which is an oil change and a brake service. Basically for the brake service they explained they will take the brakes apart, clean it, lube it up and reassemble (at least that's what I remember them saying). I agreed to get it done. I was not thrilled about the expense but I plan on using the car for a few more years so I thought it's worth it especially with the brake job. They recommended a fuel service also and to replace the serpentine belt but I was on a budget so I told them I will do it next time.

I keep all my old receipts and for some reason I decided to look at them tonight. It turns out my brakes were replaced in March of this year. I completely forgot about it. They have ALL my service records so they know about the new brakes but they still recommended a brake job as part of the service knowing full well that they just replaced it in March, merely 8 months ago. I put in about 12 or 13,000 kms per year, very low mileage and I drive mostly around the GTA. The car is certainly not used in unusually rough conditions. I'm no mechanic but I don't think the brake job was necessary at all. I feel ripped off. I will write an email to the service manager to tell him/her about this. Am I missing something here or am I right to be upset? Should I ask for my money back for the unnecessary brake service?
    To be fair, the 96k service is supposed to include the brake service as per the mazda's service schedule, and when booking you in, they very well may not have looked up that you replaced the brakes last time. Why did you replace it in March (88k service ) when a brake service wouldn't (or shouldn't) have been suggested.

https://ca.mazdacdn.com/common/en/pd...2106230000.pdf

Noob
    Ride
    2015 Mazda CX-5 GS
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He probably had to replace his pads? In any case, service history will be clearly visible on the dealer crm. OP definitely got ripped off.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay so I wrote an email last night to the Service Manager. First thing in the morning he called me. Looking at the brake job in March, it turns out the front brakes were replaced but not the rears. He did apologize and admitted/agreed the front should not have been serviced, it's very new. He offered to refund the cost of having the front brakes serviced but instead of an actual refund he offered to give me credit for one oil change. The price of the brake job for just the front is about $10 less than an oil change. I decided to just accept it. He was very apologetic which helped the situation. I didn't really get into it but it may have been an oversight and not a malicious thing to purposely make me spend more. But still, it's their job to look at what's been done to the car and consider that when advising what service is needed. A few of you asked so the dealer is Budd's Mazda in Burlington.

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad they were able to give you something to try and make things right instead of fighting over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk