Thread: Do the shock mounts get too stiff over time?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Do the shock mounts get too stiff over time?

I replaced my rear shock mounts after they broke 2 years ago. One just broke again.

Before I order new mounts, I'm wondering if I should do the shock aborbers while I am at it, I didn't do them last time. Is that why the mounts broke so soon? I live in Barrie so lots of salt on the roads which might also be the cause.

I know the suspension is supposed to be stiff...is it possible it's gotten too stiff and needs to be replaced?

I am a novice mechanic and everything I read says the shocks get looser when they are bad. Bad shocks cause the car to 'bounce'. My car does not bounce. Seems perfectly fine. I don't know if I should just change them for peace of mind or if there is no need.

Hoping someone can guide me with this decision.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Do the shock mounts get too stiff over time?

Quote Originally Posted by narfed View Post
    I replaced my rear shock mounts after they broke 2 years ago. One just broke again.

Before I order new mounts, I'm wondering if I should do the shock aborbers while I am at it, I didn't do them last time. Is that why the mounts broke so soon? I live in Barrie so lots of salt on the roads which might also be the cause.

I know the suspension is supposed to be stiff...is it possible it's gotten too stiff and needs to be replaced?

I am a novice mechanic and everything I read says the shocks get looser when they are bad. Bad shocks cause the car to 'bounce'. My car does not bounce. Seems perfectly fine. I don't know if I should just change them for peace of mind or if there is no need.

Hoping someone can guide me with this decision.
    I couldn't wait so I ordered both mounts and shocks. Only came up to $150 from rock auto. I might be replacing shocks that are perfectly fine so oh well. I guess I'll find out after I install the new ones if it changes anything.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your research was correct and worn out shocks begin to bounce and feel loose. They get softer not stiffer over time. Worn shocks usually have leaked fluid so they don't have the pressure inside to keep them functional and stiff. It is never a bad idea to replace shocks or struts after they have 100k on them. You may notice a slight improvement in handling.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeff7670 View Post
    Your research was correct and worn out shocks begin to bounce and feel loose. They get softer not stiffer over time. Worn shocks usually have leaked fluid so they don't have the pressure inside to keep them functional and stiff. It is never a bad idea to replace shocks or struts after they have 100k on them. You may notice a slight improvement in handling.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read that the replacement shock mounts aren't as good quality and don't last as long.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HBP View Post
    I've read that the replacement shock mounts aren't as good quality and don't last as long.
    Depends on brand I suppose. Genuine Mazda ones should last just as long. I bought cheaper aftermarket ones but when my factory ones broke at 220 000kms I only need half that life out of the replacements.