Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering if Im good with just front winter tires?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Just wondering if Im good with just front winter tires?

I have all seasons currently and I think there getting kinda old now had them for 3 years now. This morning there was alot of black ice on the road. It kinda scared me. First snow fall and barley any salt on the road. My back tires are 1 year old and my fronts are about 3 years or so. Can I get away just putting winter tires in the fronts. That way I can just get new front tires for the summer time?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Just wondering if Im good with just front winter tires?

Well I drove all this time with all seasons. I could just get all seasons again.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should get winter tires, you can save on insurance too I believe if it’s all 4 winter tires (not just the front 2) please correct if I’m wrong. Don’t cheap out on safety

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2012mazda3hatch For This Useful Post:

Default User (11-10-2017),sarujo (11-25-2017)

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can store then, then it’s better to get dedicated winter tires. They will last longer, safer and you do get a discount on insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jackal For This Useful Post:

Default User (11-10-2017),sarujo (11-25-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely get winter tires all around.

Your better off with used or lower end winters all around - than with a set just up front.

Also - not all insurance companies offer winter tire discounted premiums. If they do - there’s usually a deadline to have them on.

My insurance provider gives me about 5% discount - if I have them on before nov 20

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Default User For This Useful Post:

2012mazda3hatch (11-10-2017),Daileydose (11-22-2017),Flagrum_3 (11-23-2017),sarujo (11-25-2017)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you only have /get 2 winter tires. You should mount them rear.
    But definitely agree with everyone else.. A set of 4 is the way to go.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry. I just did a quick search and that's totally bogus.
    https://www.wheels.ca/news/the-5-mos...driving-myths/

Just get 4 winters.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did put winters on just the front of a FWD car once for winter, it was comical. Yes it made it so in scenarios I could get moving however because the front had grip the rear would just rotate around it. I got lucky I never spun into someone but I would highly just recommend trying to buy some used ones if you're on a budget. Perhaps just buy new all seasons could be another route.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeff7670 View Post
    I did put winters on just the front of a FWD car once for winter, it was comical. Yes it made it so in scenarios I could get moving however because the front had grip the rear would just rotate around it. I got lucky I never spun into someone but I would highly just recommend trying to buy some used ones if you're on a budget. Perhaps just buy new all seasons could be another route.
    All seasons = 3 seasons

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is correct , if you can't afford 4 winter's , get 2 and put them in the back .

Ride
    Vixxxen
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiviuTincu View Post
    That is correct , if you can't afford 4 winter's , get 2 and put them in the back .
    No...just no...

Quote Originally Posted by ctea View Post
    Sorry. I just did a quick search and that's totally bogus.
    https://www.wheels.ca/news/the-5-mos...driving-myths/

Just get 4 winters.
    Read this
    My Parents bought me more Hot Wheels than Barbies when I was little...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by natspriceless View Post
    No...just no...

Read this
    I read many articles not just that, I know what you are saying. If you have just two winter tires, where do you install them? Better not installed or have them at the rear? Reply to that particular situation, ideal is 4 brand new winter tires ,with studs if possible.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read many articles not just that, I know what you are saying. If you have just two winter tires, where do you install them? Better not installed or have them at the rear? Reply to that particular situation, ideal is 4 brand new winter tires ,with studs if possible.

Studs are not legal in Ontario.

If you feel you can't afford four 'new' snow tires, its better to search used tire places (there are many), and get 4 used ones, then to go with just 2.

If I was to ever go with just 2 winter tires; For front wheel drive cars you want them on the front, not the back as the fronts are your 'driven' and 'steering' tires. Your backs are useless for grip. Just take turns slower in bad conditions. For rear wheel drive you want the snows on the back for traction but your steering will still be compromised.

_3
    Last edited by Flagrum_3; 11-23-2017 at 11:28 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Flagrum_3 For This Useful Post:

Default User (11-23-2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post

If you feel you can't afford four 'new' snow tires, its better to search used tire places (there are many), and get 4 used ones, then to go with just 2.

If I was to ever go with just 2 winter tires; For front wheel drive cars you want them on the front, not the back as the fronts are your 'driven' and 'steering' tires. Your backs are useless for grip. Just take turns slower in bad conditions. For rear wheel drive you want the snows on the back for traction but your steering will still be compromised.

_3
    There are a lot of if situations. I personally have 4 winter tires, but this is just to help the guy who asked about IF he has only 2 tires. And you got it wrong, best tires are Always at the back.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are a lot of if situations. I personally have 4 winter tires, but this is just to help the guy who asked about IF he has only 2 tires. And you got it wrong, best tires are Always at the back.

I would suggest you are wrong simply because you don't understand dynamics.

Point here is simply don't go with 2 tires but 4.

Hope the OP is paying attention.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest you are wrong simply because you don't understand dynamics.

Point here is simply don't go with 2 tires but 4.

Hope the OP is paying attention.

_3
    , you have never drove with 2 winter tires, I understand this. Dynamics is just a word. Same as if you have 4WD vs FWD car, it won't help you to stop better.
    Read this , from a Michelin spoke person

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/can-i...nt-fwd-343090/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

, you have never drove with 2 winter tires, I understand this. Dynamics is just a word. Same as if you have 4WD vs FWD car, it won't help you to stop better.
    Read this , from a Michelin spoke person

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/can-i...nt-fwd-343090/

Inertia is the correct word.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

_3
    Sorry I can't agree with that. From experience driving with two on the front it made the car way more dangerous. Yes I could get going but any situation where you brake on a slippery surface the back comes flying around. During a normal turn on a slippery road you have massive oversteer which you cannot control as opposed to mild understeer with four matching tires.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry I can't agree with that. From experience driving with two on the front it made the car way more dangerous. Yes I could get going but any situation where you brake on a slippery surface the back comes flying around. During a normal turn on a slippery road you have massive oversteer which you cannot control as opposed to mild understeer with four matching tires.
    Yep, winters at the back. Inertia, a word that makes sense here.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't have to agree, but don't assume I don't know also. I've been driving a long time, driven just about every set up we can speak of here; Snows on back or front only, or all around or no snows. Actually my first 2 vehicles I never used snows at all, or the last vehicle I had before my Mazda3 went for 13 years, just all seasons. Earlier, I had a CRXsi and used snows on the front only for a couple years and never had an issue. But then got a set of Hakkapeliittas all around on it and it was unstoppable. I think proper driving method comes into play here in part. But as I cautioned earlier it is always better to go all four with snows.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't have to agree, but don't assume I don't know also. I've been driving a long time, driven just about every set up we can speak of here; Snows on back or front only, or all around or no snows. Actually my first 2 vehicles I never used snows at all, or the last vehicle I had before my Mazda3 went for 13 years, just all seasons. Earlier, I had a CRXsi and used snows on the front only for a couple years and never had an issue. But then got a set of Hakkapeliittas all around on it and it was unstoppable. I think proper driving method comes into play here in part. But as I cautioned earlier it is always better to go all four with snows.

_3
    The thread title is very clear and your experience is not relevant . The rule is to use them in the rear wheels , I am not saying because I discovered it , this is how it works, simple as that. You can argue forever , but don't spread wrong information if you are not sure or have no clue about something.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thread title is very clear and your experience is not relevant . The rule is to use them in the rear wheels , I am not saying because I discovered it , this is how it works, simple as that. You can argue forever , but don't spread wrong information if you are not sure or have no clue about something.
    Here we go again...I remember having a similar argument several years back. First; Where is this RULE found stating snows are better on the back with front wheel drive? Where did you get that info? ...Its bullshit. Secondly, yes my experience outways your assertion that you 'discovered it' somewhere because...I've actually done it. Thirdly; Did you actually read the section in the wheels.ca article? This part in particular; "Others with front wheel drive feel they need it only on the front of their vehicle. This will allow them to get going and steer just fine. The danger comes in the rear of the vehicle having very little traction causing an imbalance in handling and the greater chance of experiencing a rear-end skid (or oversteer) leading to loss of control. As for installing only two winter tires on the rear of a front wheel drive, this setup will reduce the chance of a rear-end skid but it greatly compromises steering grip and stopping ability with only all seasons on the front. The safest is always to use four winter tires." -Read it closely. Now read what I stated. Having steering control is the major issue and having the snows on the front will give you steering control. Rear end skid or oversteer is easily handled if one knows how to drive, but loosing traction on your steering tires is impossible to overcome. ...Have you ever driven a rear wheel drive in winter with no snows? I have and for many years and rear-end skid is typical with this setup, but easily controllable because your drive wheels are not your steering wheels also as with front wheel drive. So basically from my experience your assertion from wherever you 'discovered' it, is dead wrong.

_3

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a Mazda 3 - your front wheels are the drive, steering and braking wheels. To me - it only makes sense to ensure best tires up front.

Again - I would NEVER agree to only have 2 winters. As I mentioned earlier - better to buy 4 used winters, than 2 new ones.
    I won’t even entertain the idea or question of only getting two. And honestly, it’s hard for me to believe, that people can only afford two. *** This is not an attack on somebody’s financial status **** But IMHO - it’s the responsibility of a vehicle owner to ensure the safety of the vehicle.

It’s like answering a “should I start smoking crack” post. Nobody should ever say “only if you must”.

Just my $0.02

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe we should ask to change the thread name to "Just wondering if Im good with just front and back winter tires? (no spare)", what do you think ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Default User View Post
    In a Mazda 3 - your front wheels are the drive, steering and braking wheels. To me - it only makes sense to ensure best tires up front.

Again - I would NEVER agree to only have 2 winters. As I mentioned earlier - better to buy 4 used winters, than 2 new ones.
    I won’t even entertain the idea or question of only getting two. And honestly, it’s hard for me to believe, that people can only afford two. *** This is not an attack on somebody’s financial status **** But IMHO - it’s the responsibility of a vehicle owner to ensure the safety of the vehicle.

It’s like answering a “should I start smoking crack” post. Nobody should ever say “only if you must”.

Just my $0.02
    I agree. As I stated in my first post there are plenty of used tire places where tires can be found cheap. I just recently picked up a set of Michelin Ice winters for a friend from a used tire place here in Scarberia for $200 all four 15". There's probably 2 years usage left on them. So basically no excuse to ever use just two tires.

_3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast