Thread: Another problem for my 3: Clunking sound - SOLVED (rear brake pads)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Another problem for my 3: Clunking sound - SOLVED (rear brake pads)

Yes I know..... not another clunking sound thread and yes, another problem with my 3

I've checked out the other threads but they do not address my specific issue and I would like to get straight to the point and resolved asap.

Every bump I go over, small or big, there is a rear clunking sound on the right passenger side and could possibly be moving towards the left passenger rear. I determined the area by isolating the sounds using my windows and friends inside/outside the car. Long story short, closed every window except right rear and voila! Found the side it was on.

Brought it to Jimmy's 2 weeks ago and he couldn't see anything wrong with it. Recommended shocks to be replaced since they were close to being worn out so I bought new ones and got them installed today at JR Auto Concepts (Jimmy was busy today, wanted it fixed immediately and thought it would be resolved). Sadly, that same clunking sound is still there and WORSE than ever.

When I drive, slow or fast, you can hear something turning and clunking BUT everything disappears when I apply the brakes. It's like it dis-engages something. However, when I still hit a bump you hear the clunks.

ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM?!! I refuse to go to the stealership. I am willing to go to a shop this weekend and pay because it's VERY irritating and embarrassing. When it's night time and quiet, all you hear is my car making sounds.... Did I mention its pretty loud?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Another problem for my 3: Clunking sound

sounds like trailing arm bushing... mine had the samething.. and its kinda hard to tell if its worn out unless its up on the hoist.. I thought mine was the shocks too,, after changing it,, got significantly worse.. clunking noise
    2007 Mazda 3 GS Electric Blue
    Mods: 20% tints around, 17"Tenzo Type M flat black, VG Sharkfin Antenna, Eibach Prokit, Eibach Camber Kit, Vibrant STB, Angel Eyes, Axela Badge, Mazdaspeed Catback Exhaust, blacked out emblems, Nextmod front GV lip, Nextmod Rear Flares., 8000K HID, Aftermarket Fogs, Koni Yellows, Carbon Creations Carbon Fiber Hood.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bluemazda3 View Post
    sounds like trailing arm bushing... mine had the samething.. and its kinda hard to tell if its worn out unless its up on the hoist.. I thought mine was the shocks too,, after changing it,, got significantly worse.. clunking noise
    In a way yeah I feel that it did get worse after changing my shocks. Really really annoying sound from the rear and just the rear. Cost for the repair?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not much... jimmy charged me $90.. i have a spare bushing BNIB from MOT if your interested,, but make sure 100% its the bushings

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to knock jimmy but maybe go to another mechanic? If the clunking is there all the time than it should be easy to spot, check your wheel bearings/springs/shock mounts/bushings/links. I would recommend Ivan at I-Garage does solid work.
    Mazda Auto body Technician

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sol_searchin View Post
    Not to knock jimmy but maybe go to another mechanic? If the clunking is there all the time than it should be easy to spot, check your wheel bearings/springs/shock mounts/bushings/links. I would recommend Ivan at I-Garage does solid work.
    I'll give it a shot but anyone know of a shop open on Sunday? I know it's rare but the noise is driving me NUTS!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canadian tire? I would wait until Monday, the majority of shops are closed sundays.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What brake pads do you have?
    I have the clip type rear pads, and they rattle and clunk a bit when applying the brakes. Been meaning to get proper ones.
    But to test, find bumpy road where your clunking and pull up the hand brake while moving. If it goes away, then look at rear brakes.
    Regards
    Shawn

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    What brake pads do you have?
    I have the clip type rear pads, and they rattle and clunk a bit when applying the brakes. Been meaning to get proper ones.
    But to test, find bumpy road where your clunking and pull up the hand brake while moving. If it goes away, then look at rear brakes.
    - Hawk HPS
    - Every road around me is bumpy lol. No more clean flat roads.

There's a noise while I move PLUS the clunking/knocking sounds on even the smallest imperfections of the road.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rear trailing arm bushings or rear sway bar bushings... common problem
    rear trailing arm bushings can now be replaced as a service part
    there are special rear sway bar bushings as part of a TSB, they are not the same as the stock ones
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have have the HAWK HPS too. If you have Spring type your ok, IF you have clip type it rattles.
    Use the emergency brake, That will preload the brake, and to some extent the rear suspension.
    You may need to a get a pry bar in there to also see if it is bushing. Not easy to find just by shaking with your hands.

Ride
    2012 F-350 6.7L
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone beat me to it, but yah if you run the old style inner rear pads you can get a knock from the back of the car by just going over a curb. Also the new style pads with the springs that press outward on the caliper can make noise if the spring is worn and is not holding pressure on the caliper.

Also check for worn Stab links and the occasional broken rear spring. They break in the last 3-4" of the bottom tail in the control arm

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sol_searchin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Have have the HAWK HPS too. If you have Spring type your ok, IF you have clip type it rattles.
    Use the emergency brake, That will preload the brake, and to some extent the rear suspension.
    You may need to a get a pry bar in there to also see if it is bushing. Not easy to find just by shaking with your hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo77 View Post
    Someone beat me to it, but yah if you run the old style inner rear pads you can get a knock from the back of the car by just going over a curb. Also the new style pads with the springs that press outward on the caliper can make noise if the spring is worn and is not holding pressure on the caliper.

Also check for worn Stab links and the occasional broken rear spring. They break in the last 3-4" of the bottom tail in the control arm
    Went to Ivan at IGarage today. He knew exactly what it was and it was what you guys mentioned. Apparently, my rear passenger brake pads were installed incorrectly. The one with the spring thingy was on the outside and it should've been on the inside. Can't believe such a small mistake created that sound to drive me nuts Ivan also explained the two types of rear pads. As a bonus to resolving my problem, he didn't charge me anything

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi I have a 2010 Mazda 3 and the noise your referring to is a spring in the caliper that puts tension on your pads u need to take it out and reopen the spring witch will put the pressure back on them and voila no more noise.