Thread: P2009 Code on 2005 Mazda 3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default P2009 Code on 2005 Mazda 3

So I have an engine light on. Cant do the emissions test because of it. Trying to get it diagnosed. I got a P2009 Code saying INTAKE MANIFOLD RUNNER CONTROL STUCK OPEN BANK 1. Now I had a mechanic tell me I should get a variable tumbler solenoid and start with that to see if thats the problem. This is all greek to me.. Is that part related to what the code is giving me? Or should I go get a second opinion

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: P2009 Code on 2005 Mazda 3

It sounds like your mechanic doesn't feel like doing any diagnosis and if you take his advice it'll end up costing you a shitload. Here's a link to the code, but read it completely, including proper diagnosis steps and Common mistakes, you'll see what I mean then. https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...pencer-clayton

I'd check for any break in your wires or bad connections first and foremost before spending any time or money replacing parts and insist whomever does the work do a proper diagnosis first.

_3

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Flagrum_3 For This Useful Post:

Default User (01-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Either a lazy mechanic or he’s trying to hose you for unnecessary repairs

How long have you had the CEL? Any mods to your car? Have you heard of Jimmy?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 643 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mechanic sounds like he made a reasonable diagnosis...he's in the right area and is generally what that code is saying. The tumbler solenoid isn't that expensive and as part of that cleaning the runners and checking the lines to it would be reasonable to do. It is pretty well a DIY job if you're handy, not that hard to pull the intake manifold on these cars.

- 2021 Porsche Macan GTS -
    - 2016 Lexus NX200t F Sport -
    - 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 Black Mica - SOLD -

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Mechanic sounds like he made a reasonable diagnosis...he's in the right area and is generally what that code is saying. The tumbler solenoid isn't that expensive and as part of that cleaning the runners and checking the lines to it would be reasonable to do. It is pretty well a DIY job if you're handy, not that hard to pull the intake manifold on these cars.
    How does "lets change this, see what happens and that'll be a start" convey a reasonable diagnosis? There are proper methods and procedures to diagnose an issue, and if one claims to be a "technician" or a "professional" the procedures should be followed. Any good mechanic will tell you this. Otherwise lets just throw out the shop manual, who needs it right?

If you read the page I linked him too, you'd see the diagnosis is not that entailed, probably could be done in 15 minutes tops. So why not follow proper procedure and actually find the problem?

That's all I'm saying.

_3

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 643 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    How does "lets change this, see what happens and that'll be a start" convey a reasonable diagnosis? There are proper methods and procedures to diagnose an issue, and if one claims to be a "technician" or a "professional" the procedures should be followed. Any good mechanic will tell you this. Otherwise lets just throw out the shop manual, who needs it right?

If you read the page I linked him too, you'd see the diagnosis is not that entailed, probably could be done in 15 minutes tops. So why not follow proper procedure and actually find the problem?

That's all I'm saying.

_3
    Odds are the OP was paraphrasing the mechanic given he said it was all greek and when was the last time you had a mechanic run down step by step all his troubleshooting steps? I'm figuring mechanic has already done due-diligence and checked things out and couldn't find an obvious problem (wiring, stuck, etc).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lileminem View Post
    "start with that to see if thats the problem"
    This tells me the tech doesn't actually know what the problem is.

Throwing parts at the problem to see if it fixes things is rarely the right way to go. Especially for a professional technician, who should have scan tools capable of having a two-way conversation with the ECM and the other modules in the car. Did he check check the wiring? I.e. are the power, ground, signal connections at the module good? Did he confirm that the activation request is actually reaching the control module? Did he confirm that injecting an open/close signal in to the harness at the control module results in the expected change of state in the ECM?
    2008 Carbon Gray GT Sedan 5 Speed

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Noisy Crow For This Useful Post:

Default User (01-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me it sounded like a google search and hope it works LOL

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Default User For This Useful Post:

S.F.W. (01-19-2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lileminem View Post
    So I have an engine light on. Cant do the emissions test because of it. Trying to get it diagnosed. I got a P2009 Code saying INTAKE MANIFOLD RUNNER CONTROL STUCK OPEN BANK 1. Now I had a mechanic tell me I should get a variable tumbler solenoid and start with that to see if thats the problem. This is all greek to me.. Is that part related to what the code is giving me? Or should I go get a second opinion
    Your mechanic is 100%correct. Had the same problem with my Gen 2 speed. My solenoid went bad it's a $60 part at the dealership. 10 min fix.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk