Thread: MAZDA 3 2004- WON'T SHIFT FROM PARK AND FUSE UNDER HOOD KEEPS BLOWING

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MAZDA 3 2004- WON'T SHIFT FROM PARK AND FUSE UNDER HOOD KEEPS BLOWING

Hello Guys,

My Mazda 3 wont shift from park. Did some research and changed the fuse under the hood, after a while of driving it blew up again.

Brake lights and horn are off when the fuse is blown and turn back on each time i replace the fuse. As I said the fuse keeps blowing after a while of replacing it

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: MAZDA 3 2004- WON'T SHIFT FROM PARK AND FUSE UNDER HOOD KEEPS BLOWING

You have a short somewhere that keeps blowing the fuse. Do you have any after market electrical items installed ? Back up camera ? Dash Cam ? Stereo ? Horn ? Side Markers ? etc.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: MAZDA 3 2004- WON'T SHIFT FROM PARK AND FUSE UNDER HOOD KEEPS BLOWING

A car is not something easy to diagnose. You have an intermittent short somewhere causing the fuse to blow. Or, something is pulling to much amperage when turning on. Fuses are designed to have a 15% buffer in them meaning the circuit needs 13 amps to operate plus 15% for voltage spikes which would be 14.95A. since 15A are made they instal a 15A fuse. I've said this before and I'll say it again....Take it somewhere and have it looked at
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder - trade in, 2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey - Write off, 2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan CWP- trade in, 2010 Speed 3 w/tech CWP - Up for sale (soon), 2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- motor swapped in to 2009 MS3 CWP that had blown engine, 2002 BMW 330ci silver- new winter ride, 2005 BMW M3- new toy

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nothing aftermarket installed

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a multi-meter if that helps?

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S.F.W. View Post
    You have a short somewhere that keeps blowing the fuse. Do you have any after market electrical items installed ? Back up camera ? Dash Cam ? Stereo ? Horn ? Side Markers ? etc.
    The fuse he is referring to, you wouldn't have anything on it. It controls horn and brake lights. The only thing I could see, is if Hella's are installed without a relay

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McGuyver_3 View Post
    The fuse he is referring to, you wouldn't have anything on it. It controls horn and brake lights. The only thing I could see, is if Hella's are installed without a relay
    On my 04 Sedan my LED side markers were wired to the brake lights. They got moisture inside and kept blowing the horn/brake fuse.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When i replace the fuse everything works fine but the fuse keeps blowing up preventing my car to move from park, no brake lights and no horn. Haven't installed any aftermarket electrical items.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As mentioned, you have an intermittent short or excess draw. If you don't know if a multi-meter is going to help, you're going to need to take it somewhere to get it looked at. Everything on the circuit needs check, then likely re-checked as soon as it blows.

Only exception would be if you're putting the wrong size fuse in the circuit. i.e. you're putting a 5A fuse in a 15A circuit. I'd say to say it but you'd be incredibly lucky to be that foolish.

Do not just throw a bigger fuse in, you can easily make things much worse than they are.

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flyermazda View Post
    I have a multi-meter if that helps?
    is the car a rebuild? has it had front end damage?
    possible causes
    wiring
    brake light switch
    horns
    clockspring
    relay
    corrosion on terminals
    Last edited by McGuyver_3; 01-18-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S.F.W. View Post
    On my 04 Sedan my LED side markers were wired to the brake lights. They got moisture inside and kept blowing the horn/brake fuse.
    that is correct, I forgot about that

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by studum View Post
    As mentioned, you have an intermittent short or excess draw. If you don't know if a multi-meter is going to help, you're going to need to take it somewhere to get it looked at. Everything on the circuit needs check, then likely re-checked as soon as it blows.

Only exception would be if you're putting the wrong size fuse in the circuit. i.e. you're putting a 5A fuse in a 15A circuit. I'd say to say it but you'd be incredibly lucky to be that foolish.

Do not just throw a bigger fuse in, you can easily make things much worse than they are.
    I am using the required switch (not bigger, not smaller) and have no plans to use the bigger one lol... I will be charged atleast a couple of hundred bucks which i would like to prevent. Is there a way to isolate the mini circuit connected to the larger circuit and find the problem?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is the car a rebuild? has it had front end damage?
    possible causes
    wiring
    brake light switch
    horns
    clockspring
    relay
    corrosion on terminals
    I have been driving it for 3 years now. I am sure its not.

When i install a new fuse. everything works fine . Will that mean ruling out brake switch and relay? I am just trying to get some sort of direction on things to look at.
    Thanks

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and to answer your question. no
    this could take hours to find or minutes depending on the severity of the situation. If you don't know what you are doing just pay someone to fix it. And just because you've owned the car for 3 years, doesn't mean that in the cars 14 years it didn't have an undocumented incident
    Last edited by McGuyver_3; 01-18-2018 at 07:34 PM.

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I tried uploading wiring diagrams to help you, but it seems as photobucket won't host them without charging me money. Anybody have any alternatives?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I tried uploading wiring diagrams to help you, but it seems as photobucket won't host them without charging me money. Anybody have any alternatives?
    You can use Tapatalk.