Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2014+ Interior dome light - back

Hello,

Some genius at Mazda decided to save cost by removing the switch on the back dome light... my problem is that my son sometimes needs a light in the back, to get a snack or look at a book. But the back light cannot be turned on separately from the front. How complicated would be to put a light with a switch on from an older model (my 2007 has it)?

I assume there is no "live" power wire coming to the back, so I would need to fish a wire and connect it to the front dome lights.

Sebi
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2014+ Interior dome light - back

Quote Originally Posted by Sebi View Post
    Hello,

Some genius at Mazda decided to save cost by removing the switch on the back dome light... my problem is that my son sometimes needs a light in the back, to get a snack or look at a book. But the back light cannot be turned on separately from the front. How complicated would be to put a light with a switch on from an older model (my 2007 has it)?

I assume there is no "live" power wire coming to the back, so I would need to fish a wire and connect it to the front dome lights.

Sebi
    Two easy solutions, either take the bulb(s) out of the front dome or get a flashlight.

_3

Sponsor - GTA Retrofits
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 541 Posts
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Depends on how electrically competent you are. Unlike the rest of the car which is common ground, the dome lights (at least in 1st and 2nd gen) are common positive, and turn on when a ground is connected. What you could do is add a show switch that connects to a ground and bypasses the little circuit board they have in there.
    It would probably be easier in the long run to avoid any electrical gremlins to just remove the circuit from the oem wiring and add your own positive power supply straight from an always on fuse or a fused connection to the battery.
    Modifications? I've forgotten more than I remember. Click here for the list.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another alternative would be to get something like this?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mi...6850p.html#srp

This way no wires or electrical work needed

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    Depends on how electrically competent you are. Unlike the rest of the car which is common ground, the dome lights (at least in 1st and 2nd gen) are common positive, and turn on when a ground is connected. What you could do is add a show switch that connects to a ground and bypasses the little circuit board they have in there.
    It would probably be easier in the long run to avoid any electrical gremlins to just remove the circuit from the oem wiring and add your own positive power supply straight from an always on fuse or a fused connection to the battery.
    Thanks, so I could in theory get the dome light with the switch from an older model, connect a ground from any metal piece around the dome light, connect that ground (negative) wire to the switch? Then I can use the existing wire and connect it to the "door" position of the new switch, and the new ground to "on" position?

If I read correctly, the positive is always on, so I don't need to fish a wire and get a positive from the fusebox.

I prefer a clean solution, therefore I won't add/remove stuff...

Sponsor - GTA Retrofits
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 541 Posts
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sebi View Post
    Thanks, so I could in theory get the dome light with the switch from an older model, connect a ground from any metal piece around the dome light, connect that ground (negative) wire to the switch? Then I can use the existing wire and connect it to the "door" position of the new switch, and the new ground to "on" position?

If I read correctly, the positive is always on, so I don't need to fish a wire and get a positive from the fusebox.

I prefer a clean solution, therefore I won't add/remove stuff...
    And if I read that correctly, yes.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    And if I read that correctly, yes.
    Super, thanks for your help!