Thread: What to do with the car ? - repairs are not worth it (accident).

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What to do with the car ? - repairs are not worth it (accident).

Folks,

A couple of months ago I bought 2006 Mazda 3s. Yesterday I got into the accident - everyone walked away - but I got hit in area between front fender and the door on the passenger side. Besides that the tie rods are bent and front wheel are pointing outwards. With 31 years behind the wheel with no even a parking ticket I thought I would be lucky and I do not have a collision coverage. My insurance obviously will not pay for it. The car will need front fender, passenger door, that is besides labour to fix the A pillar and hinges. Who knows what is needed for suspension besides tie rods on both sides. Initial estimate is at least $2600, whereas I paid $4k for entire car, so it is not worth sinking more money in it.
    The car has "only" 172k, some minor rust on bottom of rear fenders (the usual Mazda spot).
    I am looking for some advice as to how to get rid of the car? Is it worth getting "cash for clunkers" deals? Or part it out? This is challenging too - I live in townhouse complex and I do not have tools or space to remove elements (besides really accessible items). If my neighbours saw a car that is slowly being taken apart - they would have a heart attack. Selling it is "as is" for parts - any other ideas?

Thank you,

Bez

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What to do with the car ? - repairs are not worth it (accident).

I'm guessing it was determined to be your fault? There are a couple of options - shop around for a better quote on fixing your car. Maybe someone can do it for $1800...

Then you can either fix and keep, or fix and sell.

Another option, put the car on Kijiji AS IS for $1000 or $1200.

Last resort, call around junk yards and shop around. You likely won't get more than a few hundred, plus you'll have to tow the car there, which will negate any money you make on it.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you so much - yes I was at fault. I got confirmed (vs. initial) estimate - $5100. Realistically nobody will drop the price to reasonable level. I will put it on Kijiji for a couple of days - will see what is the interest. Then to wreckers if nobody would be interested.

Ride
    2008 Eclipse GS 2.4L 4G69
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear about what happened and I'm glad you're okay. Is your MZ3 a hatchback or sedan?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was actually hatchback. After a few days on kijiji I had some interest, but nothing extreme. I ended it up selling it to wreckers. Happily I just bought another one - this time it is 2008 GT.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And hopefully you now have collision insurance

Good choice, btw.