Thread: Buying used 2008 M3 GT - AT light blinked - should I run or buy?.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Buying used 2008 M3 GT - AT light blinked - should I run or buy?.

Hello,

I found a 2008 M3 GT with 180k in great shape in and out. The only issue... occurred during driving - the AT light came on for a few seconds (mainly when the car was warming up), car downshifted to 4 (kind of a hesitate) and then continued normally. Other than that the car drives very well, (not a single pop or noise from suspension - including dreaded stabilizer bar links noises). The price is good. My research points to input turbine sensor issue (which I can easily replace).

What do you suggest? Should I run or take a plunge?

Thanks a lot,

Bez.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Buying used 2008 M3 GT - AT light blinked - should I run or buy?.

Hmmm, are you sure it's not the TCM going bye-bye? I had to get mine rebuilt recently on my 2006 MZ3s GT. She runs beautifully now. Cost me a pretty penny but this car is worth it. How much are you getting the car for if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Put a scanner on it and pull the codes. Best to do that while the light is on or right after -- I'm not sure how long stored codes are kept.

Otherwise.... factor in the cost replacing the transmission into what you are willing to pay. Fix could be simple... or could be $$$$$$$$$.
    2008 Carbon Gray GT Sedan 5 Speed

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to everyone who responded. I ended up buying it - although I did not pull the codes - no scanner on hand - hopefully it will be OK. I negotiated down the prices a little bit, however because it was intermittent and the AT light was not on all the time, it was tough to negotiate. And in addition - I too thought about the TCM (as Rezurexun pointed out) and before scrapping my old Mazda 3 (had an accident a week ago) I pulled ... the TCM, turbine sensor (it was actually new), VSS sensor, ECU and other bits and pieces. I wished I had an engine hoist - I would pull out the transmission too. Now that I have it at home - the only minor pet peeve is the under shield cover - I will start another thread for it - but essentially the back of it is hanging and there is no visible place to attach it. Maybe something is missing.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buy a new engine shield from Rockauto, they are extremely cheap. I think you made the right choice buying it. Even if it cost you $1500 to repair that car should have at least 100k of reliable and cheap transportation.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Can you zip tie whats left of the engine shield?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, that is what I have done - zip ties. I am planning to get doorman shield on amazon - pretty good price and reviews. I am still not sure if I am missing something towards the back of the vehicle - or the original shield is only attached to side shields (ones in the wheel wells) and the back portion integrity (not sagging) is maintained by some kind of support or stiffener). I need to get underneath it and take pictures I suppose.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm...i think this is the route you should take

https://corksport.com/corksport-04-0...skidplate.html

if you need help on random issues, you should start a thread specifically for your car. i think that would be very beneficial as you would have all the info you need in one thread instead of multiple threads. (y)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rezurexun View Post
    hmmm...i think this is the route you should take

https://corksport.com/corksport-04-0...skidplate.html

if you need help on random issues, you should start a thread specifically for your car. i think that would be very beneficial as you would have all the info you need in one thread instead of multiple threads. (y)
    Lol I have had that on my car for 3 years, it is by far the best purchase I have made given all my winter driving up north.
    I wouldn't recommend it anymore as it gets pricey - bad USD, S&H & customs.

Value wise, id get a new plastic shield off of Rockauto, or get creative with zip ties as those shields always get trashed in the snow.
    Last edited by Kiewan; 02-06-2018 at 04:20 PM.