Thread: Way to improve Halogens?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Way to improve Halogens?

I've searched, and this isn't for my Mazda, but I know we've got some lighting guru's on here so thought I'd ask.

The new rig has 9005 Halogen low beams in a projector housing.

After having OEM HID / LED on the last 4 cars I'm a bit disappointed that it wasn't even an option to upgrade to HID on what I bought. Penny pinching at it's best. It was the only knock we really had on it so the overall package still won out.

So here I am. I don't care about color, I want to see as best I can without cutting up the brand new car - at least for now.

LED drop ins are getting better, but something tells me they aren't quite there yet. I'm concerned the color will be nice and pretty but the light throw will be off, or there will be cold spots.

I've NEVER been keen and dropping in an HID kit into a housing that wasn't designed for HID, so I don't really want to go there.

I've read in another thread about Phillips Xtreme-Vision bulbs. My question is, is it worth it taking a stab at these things? Or is the difference negligible?

They claim +100% vision. A nice blanket statement I know, I imagine at the cost of lifespan. That said if they really do improve and last me a year or better then I'll give'em a go. Unless there's something else I should be looking at. I just have no experience with these at all.

Any tips are appreciated.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Way to improve Halogens?

Reading more... is it a better move to try and swap in some 9011 bulbs?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

9011 would be your best bet in halogen bulbs. It's brighter than the Philips Xtreme-Vision 9005 and a little cheaper.
    If you want to spend more you might wanna try the new Diode Dyamics SL1 LED bulbs. It's kinda pricey though.

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have projector housings, the light is focused. Don't waste money on bulbs, they are generally useless. Drop in a nice HID kit and call it a day
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder - trade in, 2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey - Write off, 2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan CWP- trade in, 2010 Speed 3 w/tech CWP - Up for sale (soon), 2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- motor swapped in to 2009 MS3 CWP that had blown engine, 2002 BMW 330ci silver- new winter ride, 2005 BMW M3- new toy

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

replace them with hids
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input gents. Looking like I'll reconsider.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McGuyver_3 View Post
    You have projector housings, the light is focused. Don't waste money on bulbs, they are generally useless. Drop in a nice HID kit and call it a day
    The light is more focused on a halogen projector than a regular halogen reflector, but the squirrel finders on non-HID projectors will cause glare to oncoming drivers. And the reflective coating of halogen projectors will not withstand the UV emitted by HIDs.

http://cmgsourceclan.net/knight/bowl.JPG
    Photo grabbed from the net.

Your projector reflector bowl will end up like this if you put HIDs in it. I learned it the hard way by putting a 35w kit on my 2006 Mazda 3. The light became noticeably dimmer after 6 months of using it. When I opened my headlight housing, the reflector bowl's chrome coating was burnt and peeling off. The kit that I used was a morimoto XB35 ballast with a 4300K bulb.

I ran an H9 bulb (stock was H11) on my 2016 Mazda 3 for about 8 months before doing a projector retrofit and the reflector bowls are still flawless when I removed it.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spugenpower View Post
    The light is more focused on a halogen projector than a regular halogen reflector, but the squirrel finders on non-HID projectors will cause glare to oncoming drivers. And the reflective coating of halogen projectors will not withstand the UV emitted by HIDs.

Your projector reflector bowl will end up like this if you put HIDs in it. I learned it the hard way by putting a 35w kit on my 2006 Mazda 3. The light became noticeably dimmer after 6 months of using it. When I opened my headlight housing, the reflector bowl's chrome coating was burnt and peeling off. The kit that I used was a morimoto XB35 ballast with a 4300K bulb.

I ran an H9 bulb (stock was H11) on my 2016 Mazda 3 for about 8 months before doing a projector retrofit and the reflector bowls are still flawless when I removed it.
    @studum

i have hids in my 2010 mazda 3 since 2010 and in my wifes jeep since we got it in 2016. neither of them have glare or blind oncoming traffic and my mazda lights for driving to and from orangeville every day i raised them up to get a bit more distance and never get highbeamed they are too high and being in front of the car it looks stock.

AND i have NEVER heard the reflective coating on the halogen projectors coming off. so that sounds like BS to me ( unless its happened to someone but im sure there are circumstances as to why.. ( shitty hid kit, wrong ballast wattage) . ive not noticed a lack in light output at all and you need to use a good hid kit not a shit from ebay or the flea market. we have Lumens in both cars, our 2004 honda cbr 600rr my old 05 zx6r 636 ninja and even my wifes old 2010 mazda 3 sport before we traded it in. never had any light output issues (now with the first set we put in the cheap junk was nothing compared to the light we have from the lumens.)

get a good name brand set of HIDS, spend the money and you will be very happy. i wouldnt advise putting in LEDS for headlights based on my own experience just not enough from them but they make very decent fog lights, if your interested in lumens let me know ill ask my supplier what it would cost for your set i just would need a bulb number.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Booter22

I have no experience with kits, but still hesitant. If I do a kit, it will be one which comes recommended and of high quality. My fear is what I used to see... flickering bulbs, complaints of dead ballasts, etc. If I go that route I want it reliable.

I've pretty much decided I'm either putting in a kit or doing the XtremeVision drop in bulbs. Honestly leaning towards the bulbs until we get some more miles under the car's belt, or at least until it warms up for a more comfortable kit install.

From what I've read the 9011 bulbs are not true HIR anymore and Phillips aftermarket bulbs are made to meet HIR specs as a drop-in replacement with traditional halogen tech = I might as well use the bulbs with the tabs I don't have to trim...

I'm open to your input Booter on the Lumens kit, especially if you have had multiple good experiences with them. Or any other quality kit that comes highly recommended. Though I'm in no crazy rush at this point.

The car uses 9005 bulbs and from what I've read I would need the ballast to be CANBUS compatible - or have the kit come with a CANBUS adapter. The vehicle is a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica.

LED drop ins are off the table at this time. I'm just not comfortable with the tech being there yet.
    Last edited by studum; 02-05-2018 at 12:30 PM.

Sponsor - GTA Retrofits
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 541 Posts
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sorry Booter, you're wrong. He's right.
    I don't need to reiterate what he said, he's right about it all.
    Edit: Also, Lumens is a garbage brand too.
    Modifications? I've forgotten more than I remember. Click here for the list.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyperion For This Useful Post:

spugenpower (02-05-2018)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    Sorry Booter, you're wrong. He's right.
    I don't need to reiterate what he said, he's right about it all.
    Edit: Also, Lumens is a garbage brand too.
    well you would know better then most, but ive never seen it happen with good quality kids. and i have had zero issues with lumens. and im sure you can spend way more then those kits cost., again you would know. but for kit, price, quality in all the vehicles ive put them in we have had nothing but good experience.

Sponsor - GTA Retrofits
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    well you would know better then most, but ive never seen it happen with good quality kids. and i have had zero issues with lumens. and im sure you can spend way more then those kits cost., again you would know. but for kit, price, quality in all the vehicles ive put them in we have had nothing but good experience.
    I'm glad you're happy with them. A working product is better than no product.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    I'm glad you're happy with them. A working product is better than no product.
    you got it. but in your experience what kit for a drop in replacement would you advise to get?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by studum View Post
    @Booter22

I have no experience with kits, but still hesitant. If I do a kit, it will be one which comes recommended and of high quality. My fear is what I used to see... flickering bulbs, complaints of dead ballasts, etc. If I go that route I want it reliable.

I've pretty much decided I'm either putting in a kit or doing the XtremeVision drop in bulbs. Honestly leaning towards the bulbs until we get some more miles under the car's belt, or at least until it warms up for a more comfortable kit install.

From what I've read the 9011 bulbs are not true HIR anymore and Phillips aftermarket bulbs are made to meet HIR specs as a drop-in replacement with traditional halogen tech = I might as well use the bulbs with the tabs I don't have to trim...

I'm open to your input Booter on the Lumens kit, especially if you have had multiple good experiences with them. Or any other quality kit that comes highly recommended. Though I'm in no crazy rush at this point.

The car uses 9005 bulbs and from what I've read I would need the ballast to be CANBUS compatible - or have the kit come with a CANBUS adapter. The vehicle is a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica.

LED drop ins are off the table at this time. I'm just not comfortable with the tech being there yet.
    The halogen upgrade would be your best bet if you don't want to have any problems. Even if the 9011 bulbs are not true HIR rated, it would still outperform any 9005 bulbs.

If you want to go with a reliable HID setup, use OEM ballasts such as Hella and Denso, or an aftermarket ballast with CANBUS such as Hylux 2A88. Bulb-wise Morimoto, NHK and CN are the best re-based bulbs that you can get. But trust me, even if you buy the most expensive kit, it would still damage your halogen projector in the long run.

You also might wanna take a look at the Diode Dynamics SL1 LED kit. The output looks promising.
    https://www.diodedynamics.com/featur...headlight.html

@Booter22

Everything I mentioned was based on facts and from my experience. The kit used was not a cheap, shitty ebay/flea market kit, and it was only 35 watts (Morimoto).

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spugenpower View Post

my 05 I ran a no name kit (kit was called LGL), never had an issue in 3 years it was installed. Light output was good and I did not experience any light fade or bowl burning. The only time I experienced bowl burning is when I used a blazer brand projector with HID's.
    A good aftermarket kit was made by phillips
    phillips kit

Also, the bowl burning photo you linked looks more like corrosion/pitting. The first gen 3 headlights didn't exactly have the best of weather sealant on them. Mine were more so separating the chrome from the plastic with flakes coming off.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again all. I think I've made my decision.

Going to do a drop in bulb for now. Xtreme-vision or 9011 and see what that nets. I don't care about color if I can still see better. I'm willing to throw $50 at them to satisfy my curiosity of whether they will actually make a difference or not.

Failing that, the van does offer an HID headlamp in the gas version. I happen to be a nerd and bought the hybrid. Why I couldn't get HID on the hybrid I don't know, but it is what it is. I think ideal case is to wait until I can get a set of used HID housings from a wreck somewhere, online or at a yard. Then slap those in with a relay conversion harness. I know I may have to wait, and I know it will be more expensive, but I also know it's the "right" way to do it and it will be OEM quality. Short of cracking these ones open and a full projector swap I think that's the best way to go. A full swap is something I'd consider in a year or so, or maybe the summer if I can't stand the 9005's any longer, if I can't get my hands on some OEM housings.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you go with 9011s, check out CandlePower as potential place to buy them. At least read what they have to say about the bulbs.

The are pricier than Amazon, but you have better assurance of not getting stuck with knock-off bulbs:

https://store.candlepower.com/hirlighting.html
    2008 Carbon Gray GT Sedan 5 Speed

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw that site actually. But it was so old looking I didn't know if it was still in service / used LOL. Looks like good info though

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, they are a bit old-school. Kind of like the lighting version of the the12volt.com for vehicle wiring or maybe bobistheoilguy.com for lubrication discussions.

In any case... I've bought bulbs from them, no issues, good service.

If I recall correctly, the 9011s were a direct fit, no alternations required.
    Last edited by Noisy Crow; 02-06-2018 at 03:02 PM.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Understood. I remember the the12volt.com days. Man those were the good times of modifying car electrics...

I've made my move. Turns out Wagner has a 9011 bulb, which is a repackaged Phillips bulb. At least it has been by anyone online that has ordered them.

Rockauto has them for just under under $10 US. 2 bulbs plus shipping for $27 US. $36 CAN to my door. A solid $20 cheaper than amazon and worth the shot at seeing if there's a difference. Thought about order more for spares / the high beams but this will do to see if they're any better.

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try to find the oem housings on
    Www.car-part.com
    They search every affiliated junkyard in canada and USA. Sort the items by price and it will show you the cheapest option. Or check out eBay. I've come across many headlights on eBay in good condition. If you know what you are looking for and the seller doesn't know what he is sitting on, just make sure to send a message and ask if you are getting what's pictured. Worked every time for me knock on wood.

Sponsor - GTA Retrofits
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    you got it. but in your experience what kit for a drop in replacement would you advise to get?
    I saw this while driving, and forgot to answer when I got home....

Any kit with a Hylux Ballast is going to be top ranked as far as aftermarket go, and that's the reason I use them. The CNLight bulbs I offer are within 5-10% output of a Morimoto bulb, but don't have the Morimoto price tag, and Morimoto actually has a green hue to them which is another reason I'd take a $35 CNLight bulb over a $55 Morimoto bulb.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by studum View Post
    I've searched, and this isn't for my Mazda, but I know we've got some lighting guru's on here so thought I'd ask.

After having OEM HID / LED on the last 4 cars I'm a bit disappointed that it wasn't even an option to upgrade to HID on what I bought. Penny pinching at it's best. It was the only knock we really had on it so the overall package still won out.

So here I am. I don't care about color, I want to see as best I can without cutting up the brand new car - at least for now.

LED drop ins are getting better, but something tells me they aren't quite there yet. I'm concerned the color will be nice and pretty but the light throw will be off, or there will be cold spots.

I've NEVER been keen and dropping in an HID kit into a housing that wasn't designed for HID, so I don't really want to go there.

I've read in another thread about Phillips Xtreme-Vision bulbs. My question is, is it worth it taking a stab at these things? Or is the difference negligible?

They claim +100% vision. A nice blanket statement I know, I imagine at the cost of lifespan. That said if they really do improve and last me a year or better then I'll give'em a go. Unless there's something else I should be looking at. I just have no experience with these at all.

Any tips are appreciated.
    What do you mean there wasn't an option for HIDs?
    The 3 always had optional HIDs... you just had to get the GT model!
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    What do you mean there wasn't an option for HIDs?
    The 3 always had optional HIDs... you just had to get the GT model!
    I mean exactly what I said.

this isn't for my Mazda
    Then, immediately after...

After having OEM HID / LED on the last 4 cars I'm a bit disappointed that it wasn't even an option to upgrade to HID on what I bought
    So lets review. This isn't for my Mazda, and HID was not an option in the vehicle I chose to buy.

And both of my 3's were GT's. Not that, that is relevant at all to this thread. But thanks for the tips...