Thread: Do I need a new accessories belt right now?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do I need a new accessories belt right now?

Year 2008, 190k, found some wires showed up on the belt...

Sent from my LG cellphone

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Do I need a new accessories belt right now?

They're fairly cheap and very easy to DIY. Go ahead and get it done

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks ~ will have my oil change soon, will have it done together then~

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YepYep View Post
    Year 2008, 190k, found some wires showed up on the belt...

I just changed my original OEM belts out like 9 months ago after 12 years, 300,000km and the damn things still looked really good lol. I changed them out anyways for safety.

Damn good quality belts. Hoping the OEM replacements are as good.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies ~

Just think about it I forgot to ask many times... Do I need to concern the rust? Is that come from the bearings or where??

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was surprised by your rust. My 07 3 sits outside 100% of the time and my pulleys have no rust at 226k. Maybe your belts are exposed to so abnormal conditions. Is your under body panel still attached? I would be changing those belts. Cheaper then breaking down and having it towed to some shop.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea... Actually the rust started showed up very long time ago, and my car can't say very quiet but not noisy like bearing broken, metal to metal squeezing sounds heard... And sometimes she can enjoy the luxury to sleep in the garage too...

Under panel is there although some spots broken, I fixed those place with nylon ties at once all the time...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies ~

Just think about it I forgot to ask many times... Do I need to concern the rust? Is that come from the bearings or where??

I wouldn't be too concerned about the rust on the pulley, its actually quite normal with the 3. I've seen alot of 3s where just about everything is rusted under the hood. Possibly just cheap batches of metal at manufacturing. (Its not from the bearing). Not all 3s are like this but alot.

You could always wire brush the pulleys to clean them up a bit before putting new belts on and don't spray anything on them either except maybe alcohol.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made my appointment for this lunch time for a new belt already ~

I will let them check the pulley and other things, if needed, I think a new pulley won't empty my pocket ~

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made my appointment for this lunch time for a new belt already ~

I will let them check the pulley and other things, if needed, I think a new pulley won't empty my pocket ~

Good move. Let us know how it goes and take pics of what it looks like after. Take care and hope everything goes smoothly.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright ~ I am back from the shop without anything done to my car ( yet )...

The belt is in the inner side close to the engine. And there is another belt connected to the AC compressor on the outside... So I have to remove that belt first to change the accessories belt.

Removing the compressor belt is almost a whole AC job to remove and reinstall the compressor... It can't be finished in about an hour in the lunch break... Both me and the shop was thinking this too simple and has not enough experience on this model year of the Mazda 3.

And the inspection done by the technician, and actually it's not that urgent to replace the belt at the moment. I checked the belt carefully too this time, the 'wire' on my picture feels not broken out, it's smooth on my finger tip. And the on other side of the belt we didn't find any cracks, marks usually an aged belt will have...

Then we also find that the outside small compressor belt looks very new. And this reminded me that 2 or 3 years ago I have my AC issue fixed in the dealer when the car was still in extended warranty. The technician doubted both the 2 belts were probably replaced togetger at that time... I need to see if I can still locate the paper of the job detail to verify that....

So, the conclusion for the moment is drive as is. And then I will come again to the shop on my day off to give 2 to 3 hours for them to finish it. And I will also have the pulley replaced at that time as the rust powder is come from the pulley and it's better to do it together at least save some labor right?!

Any input for my case? Is this all right?

The belt they prepared for me is from Korea, looks not a bad one....

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it's a pain to change the inner belt because of the a/c belt. The easiest way to remove the old belt is to cut it and replace it (stretch belts are not to be reused). Taking the compressor off to mount the new belt is really tough, they should really try to use a belt stretch installation tool or clamp it on with vise grips and 'walk' the belt onto the pulley. Try to buy a contitech or Gates belt for it at partsource. I've had brand new stretch belts squeak and slip on me like crazy because I wanted to cheap out.

Changing the upper pulley isn't of too much concern and take note it's a LEFT HAND THREAD. Try to get a metal pulley as a lot of the aftermarket ones are plastic.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to morganc For This Useful Post:

YepYep (02-16-2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reminding!!
    Gates belts are good! We use lots of them in my work place on many machines...
    And the metal pulley, I will remind the shop on my next visit.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reminding!!
    Gates belts are good! We use lots of them in my work place on many machines...
    And the metal pulley, I will remind the shop on my next visit.

sounds like this two to 3 hour job is going to cost you a lot.. just an fyi the belt labour time pay .7 and .6 on mitchell prodemand so hope they dont charge you 3 hours to do them. it does sound like they dont know how to do it. id ask a dealer near by what they would charge. also think the outside belt is a 1 time use so if it comes off it needs to be replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obviously the shop I went that close to my work place and handle the oil change etc for my car for years has no experience on this. I asked, they admitted no many Mazda ppl comes to replace belts before...

And I watched some video on YouTube. It's actually very simple especially you have the specify tools...

I will go partsource next week to buy the belts and the pulley then find a day to go farther to my friend's small shop to work with him together ( if he didn't do this before either...). At least a hoist will be very helpful to finish the job...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright ~ thanks for the waiting, here is the update.

Got the job done this afternoon in Agincourt Mazda.

30$ for AC belt
    60$ for drive belt
    110$ for labour
    Plus 25$ tax

Total 220$

In the mean time, the salesman ( the service consultant) suggested my to the below jobs...

Brake fluid flush, fluid level on about middle between max and low

Power steering flush , fluid looks a bit dirty

Transmission fluid flush

Oil found on what cover I don't remember which need a gasket replacement that need to work for a day

Air intake valve carbon deposition clean up

Brake job, which I got my set of 4 new brakes before last winter...

New spark plugs which I remember I replaced 2 years ago...

I said yes to nothing and only replace the belts. I love my 10 years old little rusty 3, but don't want to pay this money as I don't really think these jobs will do good to the aged car. I will stick on using my Mobile 1 with regularly oil change until I really need a new car ~

The belt job looks done well. They cleaned the pulley too and told me It's okay and usually very seldom case for us the Mazda 3 will need to replace the pulley ...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@YepYep Why on earth would you go to Agincourt Mazda? $100 for belts? $110 labour? Total ripoff.

I bought my belts at Mazda for $60 with the TM3 discount and my shop charged only $30 for installation. (It took only 10 minutes!).

I would pass on the other services suggested by Agincourt, they simply are not necessary whatsoever....They sound like fraudulent ripoff artists.

Find another place to maintain your car. You should use Jimmy or if you like I can refer you to my mechanic in Scarborough.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I checked the belts prices similar to Agincourt Mazda ( from online, part source, the shop in my last visit to and I used to get my oil changes and other jobs like brakes for many years...).

Then labour is what the dealer make money from me. The system suggested .5 to .7 hour right, so I think Agincourt Mazda made about 50$ extra money from me...

Get rib of that 50$, That's a reasonable price... Of course compared to mine, what you got was a super good deal!

I know the bad of Agincourt Mazda. I have my car so far for about 10 years, I visited this dealership several times... However, location location location, It's just so close to my work place for just 5 minutes walk to them. The 50$ extra on top of a reasonable price was for saving my time and efforts to find the belts else where and find a better shop, waiting, back and forth etc...

Jimmy has very good reputation ~ I know him and his shop since the very beginning I joined the forum, however it's too far and not very convenient for me to bring my car to him...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    @YepYep Why on earth would you go to Agincourt Mazda? $100 for belts? $110 labour? Total ripoff.

I bought my belts at Mazda for $60 with the TM3 discount and my shop charged only $30 for installation. (It took only 10 minutes!).

I would pass on the other services suggested by Agincourt, they simply are not necessary whatsoever....They sound like fraudulent ripoff artists.

Find another place to maintain your car. You should use Jimmy or if you like I can refer you to my mechanic in Scarborough.

_3
    Sorry for the thread jack but I'm from Scarborough too and I'd love to meet your mechanic. I always trust referrals as you know you can trust them. You can PM me when you get a chance. Thanks Flagrum! I appreciate it.
    @YepYep: I don't trust Agincourt Mazda at all but whatever floats your boat. At least you got it done and you're happy with the results. Cheers.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol ~ I pm _3 yesterday right away for the Scarborough Mech too ~ still waiting for reply ~

and I am thinking if the shop is near around the Agincourt Mazda, that would be prefect! you know there are several shops aound the intersection of Finch and Markham road....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rezurexun View Post
    Sorry for the thread jack but I'm from Scarborough too and I'd love to meet your mechanic. I always trust referrals as you know you can trust them. You can PM me when you get a chance. Thanks Flagrum! I appreciate it.
    @YepYep: I don't trust Agincourt Mazda at all but whatever floats your boat. At least you got it done and you're happy with the results. Cheers.
    lol ~ I pm _3 yesterday right away for the Scarborough Mech too ~ still waiting for reply ~

and I am thinking if the shop is near around the Agincourt Mazda, that would be prefect! you know there are several shops aound the intersection of Finch and Markham road....

Pm sent to both.