Thread: Replaced Speedometer Cluster - KMs Cannot Be Transferred

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Replaced Speedometer Cluster - KMs Cannot Be Transferred

From the recent cold snap around the GTA, I noticed the tacometer was looking a bit off, the best way I can explain it is like Glass Shattered or a spider web type look by the Gear Indicator.

I called it in, it was under warranty, and they said it could easily be replaced. Everything was good. I took it in, and they called me to pick it up within a few hours.

The thing is, the apparent "New" part looks pretty much the same, albeit the same spider effect is there but it is not the same as the one I had.

Oh, and, apparently the Odometer model I had isn't capable of transferring the information over to the new model. So I went from reading 123,00KMs + to 11KMs.

This is kind of a multi part question.
    1. Is this even legal? They didn't seem to think it was a big deal (other than if I were to sell it later on). I wasn't planning on selling the car, with how much I drive I'll probably run it into the ground.
    2. Does anyone else experience this look as well?
    3. I've seen online that there are Odometer correction devices that could help me get it back to where it should be. Has anyone had experience with them?

Here is a picture of what the effect looks like: https://ibb.co/fOLzqx

Any assistance would be great. Thanks!

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Replaced Speedometer Cluster - KMs Cannot Be Transferred

Notice when you renew your plates there's a spot to put in the odo reading. If/when you went to sell or trade, the "used car package" lists the annual mileages for the renewals. And there are some sites that let you look up some repair history (if the shop is a subscriber). So somebody will notice the sudden "roll back" and ask questions.
    What I'd recommend is, keep the receipt for the cluster replacement, which hopefully shows the old/new mileage (if not, write it in yourself). That way you'll have proof ... if required ... that you're not trying to scam somebody.
    I wouldn't be messing with the "odo correction" gizmos. Just too much of a risk of that messing up something else.

Brad.

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When clusters get swapped there is supposed to be a sticker put on your drivers door area with the old mileage recorded. Then you are supposed to add the new mileage to the old mileage and submit for your km reading. That’s just how it is. No legality issues because there is a process for it and it was documented at a dealer.
    Most manufacturers do not transfer km readings. Much more complicated cars store mileage numbers in several different modules and the cluster is a blank slave that adapts the mileage once coded in to the car.
    The odo correction required you to find the correct chip on the circuit board that controls this. De-solder it from the circuit board and instal it on the corrector. Then you need to calculate aka translate your mileage in to a numerical/alphabetical code. I’ve watched many YouTube videos on this stuff and don’t have the slightest of clues how to go about this

Added: I don’t see anything in that pic
    Last edited by McGuyver_3; 02-28-2018 at 12:49 PM.
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder - trade in, 2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey - Write off, 2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan CWP- trade in, 2010 Speed 3 w/tech CWP - Up for sale (soon), 2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- motor swapped in to 2009 MS3 CWP that had blown engine, 2002 BMW 330ci silver- new winter ride, 2005 BMW M3- new toy

Ride
    2009 Acura MDX
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was just in the news the other day.

I am surprised that the dealer could not have this corrected before you leaving the premises.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/range-rov...says-1.3821503
    2012 Mazda3 Sedan GS SKYACTIV

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McGuyver_3 View Post
    Added: I don’t see anything in that pic
    After reading the original post the other day i looked at the numbers in the wife's 2017 mazda 3. I don't see anything wrong with the one in the picture either. Also the 2015 she had was the same thing.
    2004 mazda 3 GT Sedan Indigo Blue.