Thread: Transmission Needs Replacement Due to "Unserviceable" Leak?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Transmission Needs Replacement Due to "Unserviceable" Leak?

A couple of weeks ago I took my 09 GT to get a transmission leak fixed (it's a 5 speed auto). I thought the oil pan seal was leaking on the rear of the pan since all oil had dripped from that area so decided to replace it (bad surface rust). It's been leaking for a while but I regularly checked the fluid and kept it at proper level. I was strapped for time and took to Dealership to replace and get an alignment.

Advisor said the leak was actually "further up near the top of the transmission" and was not serviceable. Needs replacement and new was $5400.00........but a used one was $2600 and could be done within a week. Advised NOT TO DRIVE as this is a serious issue. I was leaving for Florida the same day.

I've had zero issues with the transmission, just that the oil leak was bothering me.

Could anyone provide some insight as to where this leak could possibly be coming from? The advisor would not explain what the issue was, just that it needs replacement. That really bothered me as I would like to know what the leak was and the flat out "you have to replace it" solution showed a bit of "just trust me, I know" attitude.

(Don't flame me for taking it to a dealership. Some actually are good people)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Transmission Needs Replacement Due to "Unserviceable" Leak?

my wife's 07 GS has a transmission leak as well...in my case it turned out to be a metal angled fitting that comes out of the transmission where a hose connects to. It had rusted to the point it no longer sealed well. It was higher up on the transmission and was dripping fluid down, at first glance it looked like it was coming from the pan.

I took it to Jimmy at Street Performance, he was able to identify the leak and had to order the parts from the dealership. Because he needed to drain the fluid to replace the part, figured it was a good time to also replace the rusty pan and put in a new tranny filter and fluid at the same time. All said and done it was like a $200 job for everything
    2007 Mazda 3 GS sedan - Arctic White / Tan cloth - SOLD
    2018 Tesla Model S 75D - Multi Coat Red

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rajin929 For This Useful Post:

RustyMZ3 (03-29-2018)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 06 is seeping a bit of oil from what it looks like is the top of the transmission. It's been doing this for few years with no increase so I'm not touching it. Replacing the transmission because it has a leak is laughable, but expectable from a dealership.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stock3 For This Useful Post:

RustyMZ3 (03-29-2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies.

I am definitely going to take it to Jimmy and let him see if its something I should worry about. A couple of other things need to be looked at too.