Ride
    2018 WRX Sport Tech
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2nd gen transmission mounts under battery

2nd gen transmission mounts under battery These keep breaking on my car over and over again I'm on the 3rd one now and its also broken (they start rattling) any suggestions on what could be causing this my wife drives the car most of the time and she doesn't drive fast at all I don't understand why.. its a 2011 2.5L never had this problem on any other mazda we have owned. the clutch engagement vibrates a little could this be tearing them apart? or just really bad luck? its getting expensive at $250 a go.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2nd gen transmission mounts under battery

Well they are $25 on rock auto and easy to do yourself so that should save you some cash. I would suspect other mounts are broken forcing the transmission mount to keep going.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is there a decent aftermarket upgrade option that doesnt break the bank? i think mines starting to go anyway. did it once about 85k ago under warranty but now 4 years later i think its starting to go. getting a chirping when letting out the clutch and its louder when cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeff7670 View Post
    Well they are $25 on rock auto and easy to do yourself so that should save you some cash. I would suspect other mounts are broken forcing the transmission mount to keep going.
    i had a look i couldnt find the driver side trans top mount on there passenger side and lower yes. had a look on amazon they have all three. even though the mount looks right and comes up keeps saying its not for my model..

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last time I bought a new trans mount, I filled in all of the voids with windshield urethane. Let it cure for at least 24-30hours. It makes the NVH a tiny bit more noticeable but my mount has been a champ ever since. It's a crap design left over from Ford.

Ride
    2018 WRX Sport Tech
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by morganc View Post
    The last time I bought a new trans mount, I filled in all of the voids with windshield urethane. Let it cure for at least 24-30hours. It makes the NVH a tiny bit more noticeable but my mount has been a champ ever since. It's a crap design left over from Ford.
    I was actually thinking on doing this I just wans't sure what type of silicon in a tube to buy i'm getting tired of replacing them and the mounts cost $250 each at the dealership I cant find them anywhere else for the 2.5 and your 100% right they say ford all over them..

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cichlid View Post
    I was actually thinking on doing this I just wans't sure what type of silicon in a tube to buy i'm getting tired of replacing them and the mounts cost $250 each at the dealership I cant find them anywhere else for the 2.5 and your 100% right they say ford all over them..
    yea i wonder if taking it out and filling it if that would make any difference in the worn one.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I filled in a used one while in installed in the car; I just put masking tape around to keep it from dripping down below. But make sure you use Urethane...silicone isn't tough enough for this application.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by morganc View Post
    I filled in a used one while in installed in the car; I just put masking tape around to keep it from dripping down below. But make sure you use Urethane...silicone isn't tough enough for this application.
    did it make any difference?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huge difference. Kept the transaxle from bumping the frame on hand right-hand highway ramps.

Ride
    2018 WRX Sport Tech
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I finally figured out what was wrong with my car turns out the under battery mount was not broken just squeaking and making noise I greased the mount with permatex synthetic grease it is now silent I also added a focus st rear trans mount and it now drives better than ever.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

clutch shudder will definitely kill the mount fast... if you actually could watch what happens under the hood, you can see the entire powertrain assembly rocking like crazy... this puts a lot of strain on the motor mounts!

change the way you/your wife drives or replace the clutch

my protege's original clutch had a shuddering issue (known manufacturing defect) which was reproducible if you slipped the clutch a certain way and from certain RPMs... I just simply stopped driving that certain way and everything was happy till I finally replaced/upgraded the clutch at around 115k km
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just did mine for the 2nd time. first at around 80k now at 182. and wow what a difference. i even had the more solid lower mount before and then now the inserts. but either way the actual rubber tore. and it was done about 2 years ago. not to bad id say.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    i just did mine for the 2nd time. first at around 80k now at 182. and wow what a difference. i even had the more solid lower mount before and then now the inserts. but either way the actual rubber tore. and it was done about 2 years ago. not to bad id say.
    So you replaced the TMM with another stock mount? Did you do the urethane filler? What kind of issues were you noticing which caused you to change it?

2010 Sport 2.0L 5MT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, what are the "start-to-show" symptoms of these mounts failing? I noticed these engines "jiggle" right out of the factory due to their soft mounts.

I have a 2013 sky with the auto and at certain shifts you feel a good kick from the engine movement but no noises to date. Would warranty cover them while still under the period?

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarujo View Post
    So you replaced the TMM with another stock mount? Did you do the urethane filler? What kind of issues were you noticing which caused you to change it?
    stock for stock. i had one aftermarket top one before there wasnt much to it and lots of vibes so the stock oem one was good enough for my daily drive. i didnt fill it with anything just left it. part of the rubber started to separate so it was time to do it

Quote Originally Posted by markow202 View Post
    By the way, what are the "start-to-show" symptoms of these mounts failing? I noticed these engines "jiggle" right out of the factory due to their soft mounts.

I have a 2013 sky with the auto and at certain shifts you feel a good kick from the engine movement but no noises to date. Would warranty cover them while still under the period?
    what i noticed the most was when letting out the clutch from a stop there was a chip bird like noise and more vibration most exactly from the driver side near the shock so i was very sure it was the mount. i left it for about a month or two to monitor and make sure it wasnt just because of the up down cold hot change in temps and it seemed to stay all the time.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stock for stock. i had one aftermarket top one before there wasnt much to it and lots of vibes so the stock oem one was good enough for my daily drive. i didnt fill it with anything just left it. part of the rubber started to separate so it was time to do it

what i noticed the most was when letting out the clutch from a stop there was a chip bird like noise and more vibration most exactly from the driver side near the shock so i was very sure it was the mount. i left it for about a month or two to monitor and make sure it wasnt just because of the up down cold hot change in temps and it seemed to stay all the time.
    Gotcha. This was another weird observation I had and dont know if its gas that was being used (one take of premium at costco by error ) or engine mount - but accelerating such as getting onto the highway and when it reaches close to 2k RPM and its using all its torque it was like a louder than usual air intake "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" sound and slight more vibration once it did this felt in the floor - it quickly dissapeared at around 2500 rpm. This suddenly stopped or got much quieter with the next tank back to regular.

Very weird.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you take any pics of the old mount you can post here? Was the vibration during clutch work or driving?

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarujo View Post
    Did you take any pics of the old mount you can post here? Was the vibration during clutch work or driving?
    the vibration and or any noise was mostly at slow speeds or getting up to speed / letting the clutch out from a stop and then it was just a clunky shift not as smooth as it was before.

hard to see in pictures but i can see the rubber is stressing

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would warranty cover worn engine mounts while still being under the factory warranty period? The whole drivetrain under the hood feels "jiggly" upon torque changes/gear changes especially recently in the hot weather. I might go after the dealer to have them replaced under warranty which has never been used to this day.