Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Blinking gear/shift indicator

Hello Fellow Members,

I come to you with a unique problem... The shift indicator/gear light is blinking sporadically.. Mazda asked me to change the transmission control module, I did change it but the problem is still there…got my transmission fluid changed by Mazda, problem is still there… Mazda and another mechanic checked and there are no codes and no AT or check engine light.

Once the light blinks I feel like the car is in a mode where it doesn’t shift any gear and when the indicator comes back it comes back to the same gear…so let’s say if car is at 3 and I am not speeding, it will come back to 3 and no problem ..if I am speeding like on a highway, it does jerk because it comes back on 3 and then shifts to 5 … This whole ordeal can be of a second or 3 seconds.

The car is 2012 and only driven 125K. Any ideas what the issue is ? I have attached the link to the video, just in case someone is interested

https://youtu.be/j6KajD0Gg7w

Thanks,

Ali

Ride
    Vixxxen
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Blinking gear/shift indicator

Quote Originally Posted by ayeli View Post
    Hello Fellow Members,

I come to you with a unique problem... The shift indicator/gear light is blinking sporadically.. Mazda asked me to change the transmission control module, I did change it but the problem is still there…got my transmission fluid changed by Mazda, problem is still there… Mazda and another mechanic checked and there are no codes and no AT or check engine light.

Once the light blinks I feel like the car is in a mode where it doesn’t shift any gear and when the indicator comes back it comes back to the same gear…so let’s say if car is at 3 and I am not speeding, it will come back to 3 and no problem ..if I am speeding like on a highway, it does jerk because it comes back on 3 and then shifts to 5 … This whole ordeal can be of a second or 3 seconds.

The car is 2012 and only driven 125K. Any ideas what the issue is ? I have attached the link to the video, just in case someone is interested

Thanks,

Ali
    The link did not work - error message "This video is a duplicate of a previously uploaded video"
    My Parents bought me more Hot Wheels than Barbies when I was little...

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ride
    Toyota Highlander Limited
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you forget to top up the blinker fluid?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there Ali. I have the exact same problem with my car. It's a 2010 Mazda 3, also roughly 125K. Blinking gear light, followed by the lurching, or "between-gear" mode... Did you manage to figure out a solution to the problem? Neither our mechanic nor the Mazda dealer were able to replicate the problem, or even see it on the computer. But it happens nearly every time we go for a 1-hour drive or more. Quite disconcerting. Thanks for any advice you have to offer!
    -david

Quote Originally Posted by ayeli View Post
    Hello Fellow Members,

Thanks,

Ali

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a faulty transmission oil pressure switch causing a sensor issue.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    Hi there Ali. I have the exact same problem with my car. It's a 2010 Mazda 3, also roughly 125K. Blinking gear light, followed by the lurching, or "between-gear" mode... Did you manage to figure out a solution to the problem? Neither our mechanic nor the Mazda dealer were able to replicate the problem, or even see it on the computer. But it happens nearly every time we go for a 1-hour drive or more. Quite disconcerting. Thanks for any advice you have to offer!
    -david
    Did you try changing the oil pressure sensor as suggested and did it work?

I have a 2011 Mazda 6 with roughly 120k and exact problem and dealer or other mechanic don’t know what it it. Dealer said to replace transmission....

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,
    I has this issue with my 2008. It could be the lock cable lever similar to this http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...ht=cable+lever but manifests with the symptoms you describe: Shift/gear light go out, transmission lurches. It did this to me on the 407 @100kph.
    I cleaned up the lever at the front of the transmission which solved it for a while but would keep coming back. I replaced it with a new lever, nut and washed (@$14) from dealer and it's been resolved.
    Hope this helps

Noob
    Ride
    Mazda 6
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had this problem for the last couple of weeks and I also had the "other problem" last year where the Park position is not detected and the car only starts in neutral. That was a pain in the face if I wanted to do remote starting in the morning. My mechanic always tries to save me money and his first attempt at the Park problem was to clean up the contacts. Three weeks later, he had to replace the lever and that problem went away.

So using printouts from these forums, I showed him all the posts about replacing the sensor lever, then I left him the car. In two hours, he called me and said there was no way the lever was to blame. He took off the center console and tightened the shifter cable the same way you adjust a parking brake cable. He thought the cable may have stretched. After 5 days, so far so good. The shifter is noticeably more "notchy" when I move it back and forth. Best of all, he didn't charge me for his labour. The moral of the story: It may NOT be a part replacement and if you get a good honest mechanic, invite him to dinner and maybe name your children after him. I now have 3 kids all named "Ibrahim".

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This issue started up on me again, usually when it was wet out.
    Figured I would try and get to the bottom of it and hopefully resolve based on suggestions in this thread (cable adjustment,etc).
    Turns out the hex bolts holding the transmission range switch were loose, just barely tightened allowing it to move slightly. I've tighten those down and will see if it fixes the issue.
    If you're having this problem, check those bolts.