Thread: So...looks like Ford will discontinue selling most of their car lineup by 2020

Thanks
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 803 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default So...looks like Ford will discontinue selling most of their car lineup by 2020

Source

In yesterday's Q1 earnings call, it was announced that the Focus, Fiesta, Fusion, and Taurus lines will be dropped by 2020.
    Only the Mustang and Focus Active(?) will remain. The company will concentrate exclusively on SUVs, crossovers, and trucks in the US domestic market. Also plans to expand its lineup of battery electric vehicles and plug-in hybrid EVs, launching six by 2022.

Rather bold move that can backfire if gasoline prices surge prior to 2022.
    Plus with the charging station infrastructure being miniscule to non-existant and the relatively long recharging time , this decision makes no sense.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."
    ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
    "Creativity is intelligence having fun." ~ Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: So...looks like Ford will discontinue selling most of their car lineup by 2020

It makes total sense. (Focus Active is like a Subaru Crosstrek)

If it weren't for fleet sales the Charger would be going the way of the 200 or Dart, Chevy dropped the SS and talks of the Impala are next, Honda is having trouble moving the new Accords and will shutter production for 11 days (from now to July) as cars sit on dealer lots, add in Hyundai having issues moving cars.

When someone goes to buy a midsize, non-luxury car, no one says a Fusion and the two people who wanted a Taurus bought theirs. The brand spankin' new Accord which came out to much acclaim is sitting on dealer lots at almost the same rate as the collapse in 08'/09' so you know there's an issue. The Focus has been a buzz on the performance side not on the volume side while competitors pour money into their offerings, many which now have plug-in and/or hybrid options.

Avg January through March 2018 - US sales
    F-Series - 71,397
    Explorer - 18,043
    Escape - 22,450

Taurus - 3,172
    Focus - 11,682
    Fiesta - 4,099

Source

Ford prints money on their trucks and SUV/CUV and the new production Expedition/Navigator and concept Aviator will only make them more.

I recently have some experience with FCA dealerships, so take this with a grain of salt. Here's the 'new inventory' numbers for what they view as what they can sell quickly:

Islington Chrysler
    Chrysler - 4
    Dodge - 35 (23 Caravans and 8 Journeys)
    Fiat - 21
    Jeep - 96
    Ram - 102

Downsview Chrysler
    Chrysler - 1
    Dodge - 66 (50 Caravans and 13 Journeys)
    Fiat - 6
    Jeep - 102
    Ram - 80

You can see what people buy.

Gas is expensive now and it's not turning people away. We bought a Jeep, the sales guy said it's great on gas, has the ZF 8-speed, electronic start stop, eco mode, etc., etc. it's still shit on gas.........I have no idea how GC SRT or Trackhawk owners can afford the fuel bill.
    Last edited by Mr Wilson; 04-26-2018 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Added sales numbers
    0.000212524463 gigawatts

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Wilson For This Useful Post:

Kiewan (05-01-2018),SirWanker (04-26-2018)

Ride
    2018 WRX Sport Tech
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: So...looks like Ford will discontinue selling most of their car lineup by 2020

I think this is horrible news too many boring cars on the road hopefully Mazda don't follow what ford are doing this means no more Fiesta ST or Focus ST which makes me sad.

Ride
    2018 WRX Sport Tech
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also I think this will backfire for ford my mazda just cost us $60 to fill regular gas and the subaru cost $78 for premium only 52L worth pretty pricey for small cars. cant imagine what it costs to fill a truck or suv right now..

Ride
    2021 CX-30 GT Turbo
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This will just sell more Mazdas, Hondas and Toyotas. Canadians like their hatchbacks and small sedans.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well 2 things 1 i dont see us here at hyundai having issues moving cars. i mean we sell a shit ton of elantras and then everything else. the new ioniq hasnt really picked up yet but im sure it will. and mr wilson what jeep did you buy? we have the grand cherokee v6 2017 and it has start stop. eco mode 8 speed and its a 96L tank. summer time we get about 9-9.5L/100km which is about 1100 km i think out of a full tank. winter time its i think 12-13 so still 700-800 or so. if you got anything V8.. well thats why fuel economy sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

Thanks
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    well 2 things 1 i dont see us here at hyundai having issues moving cars. i mean we sell a shit ton of elantras and then everything else. the new ioniq hasnt really picked up yet but im sure it will. and mr wilson what jeep did you buy? we have the grand cherokee v6 2017 and it has start stop. eco mode 8 speed and its a 96L tank. summer time we get about 9-9.5L/100km which is about 1100 km i think out of a full tank. winter time its i think 12-13 so still 700-800 or so. if you got anything V8.. well thats why fuel economy sucks.
    Report (Apr 26, 2018) Hyundai's quarterly profits have halved to an almost 6-year low. It's still making money, but below forecast expectations. The US factory has slowed production of Sonata and Elantra sedans to meet the reduced demand. Good link

It's the GC Limited with the Pentastar. We are no where near 9-9.5, more like 15.3L/100km (think that was the last avg from the computer), granted we are in a little more of an urban setting than you are.
    Last edited by Mr Wilson; 05-02-2018 at 08:30 AM.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wilson View Post
    Report (Apr 26, 2018) Hyundai's quarterly profits have halved to an almost 6-year low. It's still making money, but below forecast expectations. The US factory has slowed production of Sonata and Elantra sedans to meet the reduced demand. Good link

It's the GC Limited with the Pentastar. We are no where near 9-9.5, more like 15.3L/100km (think that was the last avg from the computer), granted we are in a little more of an urban setting than you are.
    yea my buddy has the ram and best hes got was 12. but averages around 15-17 regular. not very efficient. im happy we went need over want on our GC would not be happy going from the mazda 3 up to 15L/100km in a v8 just because we wanted that engine. and we were soo close to picking the overland and then meh lets put that money into the kitchen this year. anyway yea im sure profits are lower but markup is also less i think. new car markup seems less and less. now a days. suvs and trucks still have more and used cars a lot.

still will be interesting to see what happens with ford the new focus st looks stunning! but the micro suv they have out.. ugly!