Thread: Wierd Hatch Lock Problem 2010 Mazda 3

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wierd Hatch Lock Problem 2010 Mazda 3

I have a 2010 Mazda 3 hatchback 2.5L. The hatch lock is unlocking and unlatching itself, sometimes continually. I will walk into the garage and hear just the hatch lock clicking/sliding itself. It will do it with no key in the ignition, with the car running in park but not if the car is driving. The door open light illuminates and the hatch will have to be pushed down to completely relatch. I removed batteries from both fobs think it was a remote issue but to no effect. It's just the hatch lock - not the door locks. If I disconnect the pushbutton from the lock, it stops. Any ideas?

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wierd Hatch Lock Problem 2010 Mazda 3

Disconnect the push button in the hatch itself? The switch has failed, I’ve seen it a couple times before. Just get a replacement button for the hatch, pop it out, and you’re good to go!

Current: 2012 Mazdaspeed3 Tech CWP
    Mods to Date:
    Custom Halo headlights, DRL delete, Kenwood DNX890HD, Kenwood KFC-3009 x2(12"), Kenwood 1800Watt Amp, LED interior lights, LED switchbacks, LED fogs.
    Previous:2012 Mazda 3 Sky-GS in CWP, 2012 16W Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2010 CWP Mazda 3 GT Hatchback SOLD, 2009 Metropolitan Grey Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2007 Carbon Grey Mica Mazda 3 GS Hatch SOLD

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have the same issue and it's very common although, as far as I can see, no one has ever found a fix. It usually just goes away.

I have a similar thread started above as now, our push-button has stopped working all together. Push-button tests fine and the Electro-mechanical release tests fine. We just have no power going to the Push-button. Currently looking for a schematic.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reddie1337 View Post
    Disconnect the push button in the hatch itself? The switch has failed, I’ve seen it a couple times before. Just get a replacement button for the hatch, pop it out, and you’re good to go!
    You are correct. After working on it for a while yesterday, I had a revelation. I decided to take a meter out and check to see if the switch was running off some sort of micro-computer and working on 5VDC instead of 12VDC. Sure enough there was 5VDC at the push button.

The push button must have allowed water to get in and over time the resistance of the switch has dropped to such a level that it finally tripped the module responsible for the rear latch. My particular switch dropped to 3200 ohms. Of course, it should be infinite when not depressed.

I think this also may explain why others have experienced the unsolicited release of the rear hatch on occasion. It's a common problem and is most likely caused by a failed push button.

Hope this helps others.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My problem was the switch itself. Replaced it and no more problems.