Thread: 2014 Mazda 3 GT HB - Front Strut Clunk/Knock/Pop

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry 2014 Mazda 3 GT HB - Front Strut Clunk/Knock/Pop

Bit of a rant, but ultimately would like some advice on next steps...

I've been chasing a front end clunk/knock/pop for the past several months. Only occurs in certain situations...going over speed bumps at 20km/hr - 40km/hr, going over uneven roads at less than 40km/hr, turning left from full stop, accelerating on a slight incline and sometimes turning right. Clunk/knock/pop is not constant once it happens and you hear it, usually occurs only once. At first I thought it was my endlinks or sway bar bushings, but had those checked and they're fine. Also had everything tightened. Brought it to 2 different dealership and 3 indy mechanics (even Jimmy wasn't able to find what was wrong) to have a look at to see if one of them is able to identify what is causing the clunk/knock/pop - none were able to

After spending a couple hours online I found another discussion with folks who have been experiencing the same issue and quoted TSB 02-001/16 was able to fix the issue. I figured I'd take a gamble that this would be the fix and made an appointment for today. I took the TSB to one of the dealerships I went to previously and asked them to perform the work on the vehicle based on the TSB. They dismissed the TSB and wanted to do another diagnosis until I told them they already performed a diagnosis and found nothing. Took a little convincing but they agreed to perform the work described in the TSB. Estimated time to perform all tasks on the TSB is listed as 2.4 hours.

I brought the vehicle in at noon and at 5pm I get a call saying that the clunk/knock/pop is still present and they want to keep the car overnight (they close at 6 pm) ... I said I can't leave the vehicle overnight as I commute from work to home via car and couldn't make alternative arrangements with short notice. Went back to the dealership expecting to pay for the parts they ordered and whatever work was done on the car. To my surprise the service advisor handed me the keys and said I'm all set. They told me that I need to make another appointment where I can leave the vehicle for the entire day to have the work done based on the TSB. Here is where I'm confused ... if the TSB says it will only take 2.4 hours to complete, why would I need to leave the vehicle for longer (more labour $$?) and why wasn't work performed on the vehicle today when I brought it in? Service advisor wasn't able to provide an answer when I asked. All they said was once they start the work they'll have to finish (no s**t Sherlock). Maybe I didn't enough time for work to be done today and should have brought in the car earlier?

Between having to educate the dealership about the TSB, having them agree to perform the work today and ultimately not doing anything to my car after having it for half a day, I've lost some confidence in the dealership to do the work. Should I schedule another appointment at the dealership to have them perform the work, this time taking the first appointment of the day or should I just purchase all the parts and bring it to an indy mechanic like Jimmy and have them perform the work on the TSB? Any negatives with the latter?

Apologies for the long post, but thought I needed to rant a little.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2014 Mazda 3 GT HB - Front Strut Clunk/Knock/Pop

By the parts and take them to a non dealer mechanic.
    The dealership likely prioritized other work over your car, then when theybwere ready to start there was not enough time.
    If you are going back to the dealer, yes take an early appointment.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. Finally had the time to take car of the issue or so I thought. Bought the parts from Mazda and took it to the mech. my dad used to use for his old Sienna. Guy did great work and was trustworthy. Explained what I needed done and asked him to follow the instructions from the TSB. After everything was done, I drove out to one of the Green P parking lots in DT Toronto where I would always here the clunk and knock. Drove over the bump a few times and no knock or clunk. However, on my way home I started hearing a different kind of knock/clunk. Didn't think of it as much, until it starting bother me again...

The noise occurs in two driving situations, first when the brakes are applied over a dip or bump in the road. Essentially if you're braking for a traffic light and you slowly pass over a bump it makes a noise. Sounds like a clunk or rattle of metal. Second, driving over smaller speed bumps, ones often found in mall parking lots, or large bumps/sewer holes. Clunk noise if driving over one at around 20km, but no noise if under 10km.

Brought the car to the famous Jimmy to have a look. Went on a test drive and he was able to reproduce the clunk while driving over a couple of speed bumps. He took a look with the car up and could not see anything visibly wrong. Tightened all the nuts and bolts he could, but could still hear the clunking. Jimmy suggest it was probably the upper strut mount on the passenger side. I went to Mazda to get the upper strut mount as Jimmy said he source didn't have to part. Ended up going to Ivan at igarage on Friday before the long weekend to have the strut mount and bearing changed as Jimmy was busy. After picking up the car from igarage, the clunk and knock is still there. Ended up taking a couple of videos that day.

I'm thinking it's either the endlinks or the passenger lower control arm. Didn't have the clunking while braking before I had the bushings changed in the LCA as per the TSB.

Speed bump Clunk - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1KN9rh3Un4

Clunk/Rattle when braking over uneven pavement or bumps - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncXIUTOai1c

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There were some discussions on the mazda3revolution forum, try searching there.

Someone changed the bump stoppers, spring spacers, locknuts and it worked. I saved a copy of their invoice, see below the link.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkTGV1VWz8XVgbBEFFxtHEpMPaSeFw
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Googled and found the TSB (not original/genuine version) based on what was shown on that invoice:
    https://mazda.oemdtc.com/208/popping...-2016-mazda3/2
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I'm aware of the TSB. Mentioned it I'm my original post. Asked the dealership to change the bump stops, coil protectors, nut and LCA bushings. They held my car for 6 hours and didn't do any work on it only to call me at 5pm on a Friday to say they need it over night...bought the parts from the parts department and had everything installed by a Indy mech via the TSB instructions.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's how I found out about the TSB. Printed and took it to the dealership to show them what needed to be done. They agreed to do the work, but didn't end up working on my car after I dropped it off. Should of known, same place tried to tell me the valve gasket cover is not part of the powertrain so not covered under CPO powertrain warranty...