Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT Air Conditioning Issue

  1. #1
    Noob
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT Air Conditioning Issue

    Had an issue with the AC on the weekend. Driving Hwy 401 at speed and approximately 3200 rpm for 3 hours and AC is blowing lukewarm air. Set fan at speed 4 and interior air recirculated. No change for whole trip. Next morning left house and turned AC on and it appeared to be normal. When there was no cold air it almost seemed like the compressor was not working but I can't confirm that. Car is now at dealer for 2 days and they are struggling to find the issue. I think they are going to try the evaporator temperature sensor tomorrow. Anyone have any other ideas?

  2. #2
    Noob
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT Air Conditioning Issue

    Have they checked the refrigerant pressure? If you have a slow leak and are losing refrigerant, the compressor won't come on once there's too little in the system.

  3. #3
    Noob
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT Air Conditioning Issue

    They ended up replacing a cable that has a resistor on it between the computer and the AC controls....seems to be working fine right now but a long drive on the hwy at high temperatures will tell if this was the issue. Everything else in the system was working fine with no trouble codes. Freon was bang on.

  4. #4
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,360
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 63 Times in 44 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT Air Conditioning Issue

    the 04 and 05s had a smaller evaporator and air moving past it is too turbulent for even flow... mazda came out with a special cabin filter that has diffuers to fix this issue.. they also came out with diffusers only, no filter.... there is no aftermarket equivalent

    you need to order EITHER:
    BN8P-61-J6X diffuser kit (if you don't care about having a cabin filter and never want to deal with changing it)
    BP8P-61-J6X cabin filter set with diffuser
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

  5. #5
    Noob
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT Air Conditioning Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    the 04 and 05s had a smaller evaporator and air moving past it is too turbulent for even flow... mazda came out with a special cabin filter that has diffuers to fix this issue.. they also came out with diffusers only, no filter.... there is no aftermarket equivalent

    you need to order EITHER:
    BN8P-61-J6X diffuser kit (if you don't care about having a cabin filter and never want to deal with changing it)
    BP8P-61-J6X cabin filter set with diffuser

    I should have mentioned that they also replaced the cabin filter with diffuser. Seems to be working okay right now but the weather has also cooled off. Need another super hot day to see if it really has corrected the problem.

  6. #6
    Noob
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT Air Conditioning Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by intruder1500 View Post
    I should have mentioned that they also replaced the cabin filter with diffuser. Seems to be working okay right now but the weather has also cooled off. Need another super hot day to see if it really has corrected the problem.
    So , we had another hot day...40 degrees with the humidity. After 2 hours of driving with half stop and go the air starts to get hotter in the car. Try full fan and recirculate to no advantage. I then realize that the air from the vents is hardly nothing. Hmmmm cabin filter is covered in frost and not allowing air to pass through or fan motor bearing is slowing down when it gets really hot. Continued on trip and turned off AC and fan to zero. Waited an hour , turned on AC and fan speed back to normal and AC working fine. Back to the dealer....I think first thing to try is to take out cabin filter and diffuser. Anyone have any comments?

  7. #7
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,360
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 63 Times in 44 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT Air Conditioning Issue

    your evaporator had frozen... at this point, you either have a line restriction, bad expansion valve, low refrigerant, or simply a bad thermo switch... mazda issued a TSB for this problem but only applied it to the newer 1st gens... it involved using the diffusers and a resistor inline with the thermo switch... it works and I bet that will fix it

    the thermoswitch connector is that piece of wire that comes out of where you access the cabin filters, not too hard to get to... replacing the thermo switch itself is much harder though (dashboard removal is involved)

    you can try buying the resistor (not cheap), but it's plug and play:
    BPY1-61-545A
    Last edited by TheMAN; 08-06-2018 at 03:54 PM.

  8. #8
    Noob
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT Air Conditioning Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    your evaporator had frozen... at this point, you either have a line restriction, bad expansion valve, low refrigerant, or simply a bad thermo switch... mazda issued a TSB for this problem but only applied it to the newer 1st gens... it involved using the diffusers and a resistor inline with the thermo switch... it works and I bet that will fix it

    the thermoswitch connector is that piece of wire that comes out of where you access the cabin filters, not too hard to get to... replacing the thermo switch itself is much harder though (dashboard removal is involved)

    you can try buying the resistor (not cheap), but it's plug and play:
    BPY1-61-545A


    Thanks TheMAN, you mentioned newer 1st generation...that does not apply to my 2005? Any chance you know the TSB number? It makes perfect sense that the evaporator was frozen....low air movement from the vents even on fan speed 4. Also when we got home after the AC being back on and working for 30 minutes water was puking out from the drain like crazy. We'll see how it goes back at the dealer.

  9. #9
    Noob
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT Air Conditioning Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by intruder1500 View Post
    Thanks TheMAN, you mentioned newer 1st generation...that does not apply to my 2005? Any chance you know the TSB number? It makes perfect sense that the evaporator was frozen....low air movement from the vents even on fan speed 4. Also when we got home after the AC being back on and working for 30 minutes water was puking out from the drain like crazy. We'll see how it goes back at the dealer.
    TheMAN, just an additional info PS - resistor was replaced already so that's not the issue.

  10. #10
    Noob
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT Air Conditioning Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    your evaporator had frozen... at this point, you either have a line restriction, bad expansion valve, low refrigerant, or simply a bad thermo switch... mazda issued a TSB for this problem but only applied it to the newer 1st gens... it involved using the diffusers and a resistor inline with the thermo switch... it works and I bet that will fix it

    the thermoswitch connector is that piece of wire that comes out of where you access the cabin filters, not too hard to get to... replacing the thermo switch itself is much harder though (dashboard removal is involved)


    you can try buying the resistor (not cheap), but it's plug and play:
    BPY1-61-545A

    Well....that only leaves the thermoswitch and expansion valve....12 hours labor for the switch....AC works fine at less than 40 degrees C so I don't think $1500 plus is well spent on a 2005 even though I luv my car and treat it like its my 3rd kid. My biggest fear is to spend all that money and find out that the AC issue is normal at these higher temps ( 2004 and 2005 are noted for their poor AC performance ). Its a second car that doesn't see any winters so I'll leave it for now. Thanks for all the feedback from everyone.

  11. #11
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,360
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 63 Times in 44 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT Air Conditioning Issue

    so this is the resistor you "replaced"?

    It doesn't exist from the factory!

  12. #12
    Noob
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT Air Conditioning Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    so this is the resistor you "replaced"?

    It doesn't exist from the factory!


    It was the part number you provided for the resistor in a prior note BPY1-61-545A....done by the dealer and listed on the workorder. It was installed along with a new diffuser / cabin filter. I cannot confirm the picture as I did not install it.

  13. #13
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,360
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 63 Times in 44 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT Air Conditioning Issue

    Ok, since it was installed, try taking it out and see if there's any difference... the resistor changes the thermo switch reading by 1 degree, which can affect how long the compressor is run... it simply unplugs, as shown in the pic... it's connected inline with the thermo switch... after removing it, you'll need to reconnect the thermo switch directly back into the wiring harness

  14. #14
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    221
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT Air Conditioning Issue

    If it was me (I have an 05) I would sell or trade in the car once cooler weather will be the norm.
    Made in BC.

  15. #15
    Noob
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT Air Conditioning Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    Ok, since it was installed, try taking it out and see if there's any difference... the resistor changes the thermo switch reading by 1 degree, which can affect how long the compressor is run... it simply unplugs, as shown in the pic... it's connected inline with the thermo switch... after removing it, you'll need to reconnect the thermo switch directly back into the wiring harness
    It was doing the same thing with or without the resistor so removing it again will make no difference.

  16. #16
    Noob
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT Air Conditioning Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    If it was me (I have an 05) I would sell or trade in the car once cooler weather will be the norm.
    You probably would not understand the affinity I have for this car. Owned since day one with 250,000 kms now....car is like new except for high outside temperature 40 degrees plus AC issue....otherwise its fine. A sale is never going to happen ....well maybe never....

  17. #17
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,360
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 63 Times in 44 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT Air Conditioning Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by intruder1500 View Post
    It was doing the same thing with or without the resistor so removing it again will make no difference.
    was this before or after the diffuser equipped filters were used?

  18. #18
    Noob
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT Air Conditioning Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    was this before or after the diffuser equipped filters were used?
    Resistor and diffuser were both installed at the same time ( and for the first time ) when the problem first appeared.

  19. #19
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,360
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 63 Times in 44 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT Air Conditioning Issue

    then you don't even know if it would make a difference or not!

    you would only know if there are differences if you tried one thing at a time, not all at once... this is common sense/typical scientific method

  20. #20
    Noob
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT Air Conditioning Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    then you don't even know if it would make a difference or not!

    you would only know if there are differences if you tried one thing at a time, not all at once... this is common sense/typical scientific method
    Thanks for your advice. I had planned to have the diffuser / cabin filter removed at the next oil change. Why, because the car never had a cabin filter for the first 160,000 kms from the factory. I'm wondering if the diffuser is slowing down the flow of air too much and causing the evaporator to freeze up. Additionally, our current temperatures and humidity....40 plus... may just be too much for the AC unit to handle. Anyways, that's my next step plan.

  21. #21
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,360
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 63 Times in 44 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT Air Conditioning Issue

    no, the diffuser is meant to distribute the air flow better, because without it, air flow is turbulent... that's why mazda issued bulletins to fix poor A/C performance in the 04s... the 2005 SP23 model in the US came with a cabin filter but also with the diffuser for the same reason... all 05s in USA and Canada came with the diffuser

    the resistor never came from the factory and that is the only true variable causing the frozen evaporator issue further, aside from improper refrigerant charge, I believe... the resistor was meant to prevent the better evaporator used in the 06-08 from working too well (cool so much, it freezes)... the 04 never came with the better evaporator, and most 05s don't either... only ones produced (end of the run) during mid 2005s were

  22. #22
    Noob
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT Air Conditioning Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    no, the diffuser is meant to distribute the air flow better, because without it, air flow is turbulent... that's why mazda issued bulletins to fix poor A/C performance in the 04s... the 2005 SP23 model in the US came with a cabin filter but also with the diffuser for the same reason... all 05s in USA and Canada came with the diffuser

    the resistor never came from the factory and that is the only true variable causing the frozen evaporator issue further, aside from improper refrigerant charge, I believe... the resistor was meant to prevent the better evaporator used in the 06-08 from working too well (cool so much, it freezes)... the 04 never came with the better evaporator, and most 05s don't either... only ones produced (end of the run) during mid 2005s were


    Your Quote: " all 05s in USA and Canada came with the diffuser."....mine must be the exception for 2005 as it did not have the diffuser or a cabin filter from the factory. As an additional note I was told by a 3rd party that the purpose of the diffuser was also to slow down the flow of air over the evaporator to allow the air to get colder.

Similar Threads

  1. 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT RPM Issue
    By RiffRaff in forum Problems with the Mazda3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-11-2017, 02:46 PM
  2. Anyone selling a air conditioning condenser for a 2005 Mazda 3?
    By Lileminem in forum Problems with the Mazda3
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2014, 10:39 AM
  3. Braking issue with 07 Mazda 3 GT Sport
    By Fish in forum Problems with the Mazda3
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-13-2009, 02:43 AM
  4. 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT
    By JcMazda in forum New User's Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-06-2009, 09:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •