Thread: AC Compressor

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default AC Compressor

Sorry if this info is on here somewhere but searching for compressor didn't turn up any results

Car: 2008 Mazdaspeed 3.

So I'm in need of a new AC compressor and rock auto has so many different choices that are supposedly compatible with my car. They all seem to have different sized pulley diameters and the only one that looks like the OEM that I have is this GPD one. The other ones have the hard line connections in different places(on the top) than mine(mine's on the front like in the kit picture) which leads me to believe that most of the other ones on rock auto won't work, at least without a bunch of difficulty with trying to connect everything back up on the new compressor.
    GPD kit:
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=386&jsn=386

Just wondering if anyone has used this compressor kit from them before.
    Mine needs a 6 groove pulley to match the OEM, which this kit does have. The other ones on their site like the four seasons have 5 groove pulleys as well as varying pulley sizes which are either bigger or smaller than the OEM pulleys.
    The only slight difference I can see is that my OEM pulley diameter is ~4.5" and the GPD one is listed as 4". Now with the belt tensioner it might not make much difference, and all that might matter is the hard line connection locations and the number of grooves.

So, can anyone confirm this would work or if not, which one have you used when you replaced your OEM compressor?

I'm planning on getting the parts and having a shop do the swap since I don't have all the refrigerant tools, but OEM from the dealer is much more up here than ordering from rock auto, as long as I can find the correct one.

Maybe I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be, but with all the compressors not quite matching the OEM one, I need to make sure I order the correct one.

TIA.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: AC Compressor

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the rock auto catalogue is showing the regular 3's compressors, that's the source of the confusion

look up the compressor for a mazdaspeed6, it's the same thing and that catalogue will guarantee the correct part
    DO NOT get the "kit", there's various components aside from the compressor that are different... get them separately!
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhhh I see, thanks. I’ll take a look at what they have for the speed 6!

Ride
    Toyota Highlander Limited
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should have an AC compressor (actually the whole AC unit) available in about a month.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much is the labour cost for installing the AC compressor? Mine gave up a few weeks ago (regular 3, 2007 GS). The quote I got from my local shop is $1k with parts+labour, but the whole car is not worth much more... I'm at 200k.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]