Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gen2 Mazda 3 - Weird Brake Pressure Issue

Hi guys,

Hoping to pick the collective hive-mind with a weird brake issue I'm having. I'll set the scene:

1. 2010 Mazda 3 GX
    2. ~130,000km on the car

Back in April when we had the ice storm in the GTA, the left rear tire was not spinning.
    Jacked the car up, and checked out the brakes and the left rear was clamped tight and not releasing. Later found out it was the hand brake spring component that had seized in the engaged position.
    Took the caliper off and decided to replace both of the rear calipers. Ended up going with some Centric remanufactured calipers instead of Mazda OE. Remanufactured calipers are essentially OE calipers that have been rebuilt (new piston, seals, handbrake hardware, and this set came with a fancy zinc dichromate coating, so hopefully less chance of corrosion related issues in the future)
    They were fully loaded calipers, so we got new hardware and pads. Installed the new calipers, and also decided to flush the brake fluid (used a non-silicone, glycol-based DOT 3 fluid from Lucas).
    Followed procedure for split-diagonal bleeding (rear right, front left, rear left, front right).

After bleeding, we noticed the pedal did two weird things:
    1. It reached the "end" a easier than it used to, and
    2. After reaching the end, you could hear an audible click, and the brakes did not regain "pressure" unless the pedal is about 3/4 released.

Basically once the pedal reaches the "end", it's completely "floppy" and has no resistance, until you release the pedal to about 3/4 of the way.
    One thing to note is that the car stops when the brakes are applied, and we even tried a number of high speed stops too, as well as engaged the ABS system, without issue.
    We also happen to have another 2nd gen GX (MY2013), which does not do both of the things described above.

Threw in the towel about three weeks ago and decided to go to a Mazda dealer. So far they have:
    1. Bled the brakes - no change
    2. Replaced the ABS pump module - pricey and no change
    3. Finally replaced the brake master cylinder

As of the last replacement the dealership is saying it has improved, but not fully recovered. I haven't gone to check the car out yet, but given the hesitance of the service advisor, I'm assuming the exact issue is still present.

The service advisor is beginning to doubt the rear calipers that were replaced, but that doesn't really make sense.

I have colloquially spoken to a first gen Mazda 3 owner, and a second gen Mazda 5 owner, who described similar problems after a brake change on their cars. One said his problem went away after a week; the other after 2 years. :|
    Unfortunately I don't know if they had the exact problem, because I've not felt their brake pedal, nor have they felt mine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

PS - Any gen 2 GX MY2010s in and around the Peel region, I'd love to try your brake pedal to make sure I'm not bonkers.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Gen2 Mazda 3 - Weird Brake Pressure Issue

So I got the car back from the dealership today. And as expected it's exactly the same despite having the ABS module and Brake Master Cylinder replaced.
    The car stops fine, but I can bottom the pedal out, and once it's bottomed out there's no pressure.

I'll try and get a video of this.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lawlzen View Post
    So I got the car back from the dealership today. And as expected it's exactly the same despite having the ABS module and Brake Master Cylinder replaced.
    The car stops fine, but I can bottom the pedal out, and once it's bottomed out there's no pressure.

I'll try and get a video of this.
    Did you insist on leaving the dealer with the car in that condition? Reason I'm asking is once the dealer is aware of a 'Serious safety issue', which definitely exists, they should not allow the vehicle to leave the shop until the issue has been found and fixed. They are liable.

You say it brakes fine, but you are loosing pressure. Its unsafe to operate, you could kill someone or yourself.

Tow it back to the dealer and have them fix the issue 100%, and I would notify Mazda Canada pronto about the issue.

_3

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Flagrum_3,
    I realized I left some parts of the update out as I was in a hurry.

I'll describe the issue in more detail first, and use a rough percentage to describe how far the pedal is pressed (0% is foot is completely off, 100% is fully pressed to the floor):
    1. The brake pedal feels easy to press than before the rear calipers were replaced.
    2. As you press the pedal, the brakes do engage. The pedal does go down to about 75-80% and you have full brake engagement, i.e. if you were rolling, you'd come to a complete stop. Aside from the slightly softer pedal, this part seems normal.
    3. If you decide to release the pedal at this point, the brakes will release normally as well.
    4. If you decide to continue pressing the pedal past 75-80%, it will get to the floor (100%), at which point in time you hear a little click. Once it clicks, then the pedal feels like it has no pressure. The brakes continue to be fully engaged even as you release the pedal, until about 5-10% at which point the brakes release.

It's so weird. I'll try and get a video of this on Saturday.

A more complete recap of the events at the dealership:
    We got to the dealer and tried out the car after the ABS module and Brake Master Cylinder were replaced. It felt pretty much the same and we could still easily replicate the loss of pressure issue (described above).
    We tried a 2011 that was on the lot and it did not have the issue. The Service Manager agrees that this is weird. but that both his master technicians (25 year factory-trained veterans) say there is nothing wrong with the car and that it stops fine and is "safe".
    I was not insistent on taking the car, even offering it to leave it there for them to troubleshoot more. At this point, I felt he was more interested in settling the bill, but he did promise to reach out to Mazda Canada to try and get to the bottom of it. To reiterate, they didn't think it was a safety issue to drive the car.
    He also said the only thing that is different on the car is the rear calipers that we had replaced ourselves, insinuating that the calipers could be the cause. I'll try and block the lines to the rear calipers see if it improves the issue. The handbrake works fine, so mechanically they do engage.

I feel like the dealership is not taking the issue very seriously because the car does stop and go "safely". I think I'll take this car off the road for now and contact Mazda Canada. Thanks Flagrum_3 - will keep this thread updated.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raised the concern with Mazda Canada today. Not sure how aggressive they'll be to get it fixed, but they said they'll reach out to the dealership to get their take from them.
    If I don't hear back I'll follow up again.