Thread: Android Auto / Android Headunit

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Android Auto / Android Headunit

Just curious what the general consensus is on Android headunits? Hear they are buggy, slow to start up and usually don't output great audio (possibly fixed with a better amp?) but running full android and the possibility of using android auto appeals to me alot since I'm sick of people using my phone just to change the song on spotify when driving and I get "new" car features to hold me over.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Android Auto / Android Headunit

You'd want Quad/Octa Core with at least 2GB or more.

I've got an Eonon GA5151, it's was really slow with the original firmware at startup and was manageable after an update. It's only an issue during startup, it would take 5mins to fully load (apps would load slowly). After that period, it's fine.
    The other downside are updates, don't expect any...

The firmware probably makes a huge difference and newer versions of Android seem to give performance boosts.

I also use Tasker on my phone to turn on hotspot when I'm bluetooth connected to the unit, then open Spotify or Soundcloud and play a fixed playlist. It's all done automatically, works really well.
    Last edited by tmpz; 06-12-2018 at 11:01 PM.

2009 Mazda 3 GS Metro Gray Automatic

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sony avx-ax100 is responsive and fast and not too expensive

Ride
    BRZ 2018
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I had a Pioneer AppRadio4 on my Gen2 MZ3 before and i find that it's a really great upgrade to an "outdated" head unit. Comes with Apple CarPlay / Android Auto when you plugin your phone. I also find that sound output got better after using this headunit.

I dont really trust "full android" head units as it's a bit buggy and not a lot of support for them.
    Mazda 3 Sedan 2012
    Mazda 3 Hatch 2015
    Subaru BRZ 2018 - Current

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 740 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I hate the Eonon/ android head units. Especially being an audio guy. To me the reason the people buy them is because they are simple and cheaper compared to say an alpine/clarion/ken wood double din deck. I've had my Alpine Ina 900WBT for the last 4 years and it's been great. And I'll continue to go with Alpine once this one finally dies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They say I'm an addict but I don't have a problem with alcohol or drugs. I'm an addict because I can't live without bass. Car audio is my addiction. And it will never change.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any place I can demo android auto? Scared it might not give me all the features I want + kind annoying to plug it in every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 740 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Some audio shops have a demo set up right in their feature areas. But let me tell you as someone who has installed a few and worked on them they get laggy and if your wanting to do more then just simple audio work then your better off getting a double din head unit from a known company ie Alpine/clarion/kenwood/ pioneer etc. They are great if your just wanting something with a touch screen and not a whole lot of functionality when it comes to subwoofer options/ door speaker amp options etc.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jaimie08mazda3 View Post
    Some audio shops have a demo set up right in their feature areas. But let me tell you as someone who has installed a few and worked on them they get laggy and if your wanting to do more then just simple audio work then your better off getting a double din head unit from a known company ie Alpine/clarion/kenwood/ pioneer etc. They are great if your just wanting something with a touch screen and not a whole lot of functionality when it comes to subwoofer options/ door speaker amp options etc.

Going into a car with a 10 speaker infinity system that has no bluetooth. The android auto is laggy? I guess primarily what I want is google maps and spotify, anything else is a bonus.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have one that has just stopped booting up and gets stuck at the launch screen. I haven;t had a chance to open it up and cut the power to it but im not holding out hope it will start working again. it was OK but alot of the features like screen sharing never worked for me and core functions like the backup camera integration and steering wheel controls. If i bring it back to life i'll try it again with my new phone but i'm considering putting my ddin kenwood deck back in.