Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: AA and CP coming august 6th for mazda connect

Quote Originally Posted by shawnmcw View Post
    I now got an appointment for Tuesday morning to get the install done on my car. Looks we get a 10% discount but said he would check to verify that it's not 15%. So it's at least 10% at the moment
    Super, keep us posted, and also let us know if you like it! Are you going to Achilles?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, the appointment is with Achiles and i will keep you posted as well once i have it and have done a little testing.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so far so good
    got a 10% discount on the install from Achilles mazda and did some quick setup/testing on my way into work from there.

So far what i've noticed is that Waze works well, it's audio even comes out of the driver speaker like the normal Mazda GPS does.

Will update once i've been able to test more though

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so far so good
    got a 10% discount on the install from Achilles mazda and did some quick setup/testing on my way into work from there.

So far what i've noticed is that Waze works well, it's audio even comes out of the driver speaker like the normal Mazda GPS does.

Will update once i've been able to test more though
    Woah, how much? Who was your contact there with?
    2018 3 GT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what i could tell you don't need to speak to anyone specific, all i did was ask for the service department and make the appointment. It was then installed yesterday.

Total cost with taxes and rebate came to ~500 but that included an oil change that i did. So far i'm enjoying having Waze on my dash as well as the fact that the usb port is able to charge my mate 10 pro at normal charging speeds

Keep in mind, i haven't gotten the chance to test Apple carplay yet, no iphone handy at the moment but Android auto works well so far. I already had my phone set up with bluetooth in the car and just had to connect the USB cable after i made sure that android auto was installed on my phone. Once i connected the cable i only had to do a little configuring the first time and now android auto just comes up on my dash when i connect the phone to the USB which has worked without issues so far.

Only "glitch" i've run into so far was that Waze was muted but that has nothing to do with android auto or mazda, it was just a setting i needed to change in waze. Now the waze guidance/warnings and such can be heard from the front driver's side speaker just like it does with the normal mazda GPS

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How responsive is the whole system? Does it take a long time for AA to come up?

It's exciting to get some new life in the "MZD connect"! I have several AIO tweaks which makes it bearable and nicer. I'll probably miss the album art display with CP and seeing the upcoming street name.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from what i can tell it seems more responsive in general that before the update if anything. Some of the things i've noticed is that my phone connects to the car's bluetooth faster and the, when i plug in the usb cable, android auto come up almost instantly. Not been able to use the touch screen in android auto at all takes some getting used to but i was already used to using the control knob for just about everything anyway even before, i just have to get used to how to get around in android auto using it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, found a couple little glitches so far. Seem to have found the solution for 1 but still working on the second.

1 - when android auto is running you may not see the caller ID info on the screen, only on the phone. This appears to be related to Huawei phones though more than android auto itself. After some research i seem to have found the solution. You need to install the google phone app onto the phone and use it instead of the regular Huawei dialer app. Have only been testing this fix for about a day though but seems to work so far.

2 - Waze appears to be glitchy in android auto, often getting nothing but a black screen when launching. Did some research on this one as well and it appears to be related to the Waze app itself, nothing to do with any particular model phone. Only "fix" I've found so far is to just use google maps instead of Waze

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if it's worth upgrade considering you don't have many [useful] apps that currently work with CP. There also doesn't seem to be a definitive answer regarding offline maps for CP. I imagine in the USA this is not a big deal for users of Google maps because they don't have high roaming data charges as we do in Canada.
    Last edited by Google; 10-25-2018 at 09:23 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

other than the AA or CP factors i also found that the fact the USB port can charge my phone properly has been nice, this way i don't have to use a 12v adapter. Also, the music on my thumbdrive seems to load up faster than it used to.

As for maps, i use Waze now that i got it working again, had to uninstall both AA and waze, then reinstall AA followed by Waze. This was done last weekend and it's been working without issues including some updates that came out for both this week.

When it comes to data usage, i tend to have Waze running 99% of the time when driving and it's averaged ~70MB of data usage per month. I used to run waze on my phone and now the only change is that it's on AA.

I agree that roaming can be a factor though depending of your service provider and then service plan you have.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's quite disturbing that the dealership and Mazda Canada won't say if Google's offline maps work with Carplay. Both are reciting the same scripted response: Google Maps works with Carplay in iOS 12, but they won't go on record to say if you have full functionality which is downloading offline maps.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't comment in the IOS side because i use Android but the offline map function works on mine. The only prerequisite is that you've already downloaded the map section to your phone beforehand, you can't actually do the download through AA itself. I would suspect that the IOS version of google maps would work like that too.

I mainly use Waze though.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's good to hear. I am almost 100% certain the iOS version works the same way. But with Mazda, you never know.

I stopped using Waze a long time ago when they removed the "Reports" list which also included police stops.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still use Waze, although the reports list was handy, i mostly used it as i was driving to get reports of incidents as i went. I also report when i see incidents as well, whether they be cops, accidents, roadkill and so forth. Still comes in handy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just discovered something last night, pressing the mute button now appears to pause when playing MP3 files off of a key instead of just muting the audio

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wanted to thank you guys for the referral to Achilles - got the install done today, 10% off the entire bill and that included getting the drive belts changed. It took three weeks for the appointment due to winter tire traffic but worth the long drive out west.

I tried to get the install done at my original dealership, but they stopped the install when they found the touchscreen acting up. They said to book another appointment to have a look. Meanwhile, Achilles installed CarPlay, and also confirmed the touchscreen defect that was covered under a TSB (specifically 09-17-53). Still waiting on the replacement touchscreen but at least CarPlay works... while the car's in motion anyways. While stopped it tries to open up the Podcasts app, text random people in Messages, etc.

About CarPlay, one weird quirk is the navigation volume knob is disabled while CarPlay is active. But navigation volume settings are still used for say Waze alerts. You can still use the volume knob to adjust the alerts while they're playing. But you can't modify them from the settings? Also the navigation playing out of the driver's side - weird, but I'll have to get used to it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for the Nav playing out of the driver's side speaker that's how mine always did it, including when using the mazda navigation itself. I agree that it does take getting used to but it's nice because you can have tunes playing and still hear the nav info without missing any part of what you were listening to in the first place.

With Waze it's great for the warnings and such too

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for the Nav playing out of the driver's side speaker that's how mine always did it, including when using the mazda navigation itself. I agree that it does take getting used to but it's nice because you can have tunes playing and still hear the nav info without missing any part of what you were listening to in the first place.

With Waze it's great for the warnings and such too
    Same. But I consider Waze essentially useless where I would use it. Not many "Wazers" around. When Google bought Waze or shortly before, the active "Reports" list was removed and along with it was a listing of where the police were too. Rumours suggest Waze is on Google's life support and it will eventually be [fully] integrated with Google Maps.

As far as AA/CP is concerned we've decided against it. While it will look fugly, we'll just use an Android Tablet mounted on the windshield for long trips. Otherwise, we'll save our money.
    Made in BC.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    Same. But I consider Waze essentially useless where I would use it. Not many "Wazers" around. When Google bought Waze or shortly before, the active "Reports" list was removed and along with it was a listing of where the police were too. Rumours suggest Waze is on Google's life support and it will eventually be [fully] integrated with Google Maps.

As far as AA/CP is concerned we've decided against it. While it will look fugly, we'll just use an Android Tablet mounted on the windshield for long trips. Otherwise, we'll save our money.
    It would be nice to have the capabilities of Waze integrated more into google maps like being able to report cops, accidents and such but the flip side is that it would be nice to have google maps lane guidance integrated into Waze as well so both combined would be bloody great

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Google is introducing speed traps into upcoming versions of their app while with the US version, you will be able to report them into Google maps.

As you can see, Waze's days are becoming numbered.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since Waze is using google maps for it's mapping and google has been using the information from Waze for a while now for traffic and such, i can only suspect that the 2 will be merged eventually. One aspect of google maps that i like is the lane guidance, which waze does not have, but also an aspect i like about waze is the crowd sourced reports. So if both could be combined and have the capabilities of each that would be great as far as i'm concerned

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12