Thread: Etest woes

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Etest woes

So I went for my emissions test twice last week and failed twice as I didn’t check readiness on the torque app I have on my phone which was my fault. Since then I throw a CEL every 40-50 km before all emissions systems show they are ready. All of them clear very quickly except for catalyst and evap. Does anyone have any advice on how to get either of these parameters ready quicker before I throw CEL?

Conversely does anyone know a guy who knows a guy who can “help” with passing my etest? Thanks in advance

Car is 07 speed 3 with catted cope downpipe

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Etest woes

1. Get your car between 1/4 to 3/4 full of gas.
    2. Car needs to sit 8 hours
    3. Drive car at 90km/h to 110 km/h for 10 to 15 minutes, then get some stop and go for another 10 to 15 minutes.

That should work for the Evap, but the cat may be another issue. Maybe a fouled sensor.
    Last edited by pwdunmore; 07-26-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did that all this morning and currently racked up92km and nothing. Still not ready on evap or catalyst. I just don’t wanna trip engine light again and start all over. Can the hwy drive be broken up like 7 mins one way and 7mins baci have heard the 8hours thing isn’t necessary too

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 643 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's an idea...fix your car. You've obviously got some problems, don't try to game the system. My car with the cpe catted downpipe never had any trouble at all passing emissions. What's the code for the CEL that you're getting?

- 2021 Porsche Macan GTS -
    - 2016 Lexus NX200t F Sport -
    - 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 Black Mica - SOLD -

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SomeGuy For This Useful Post:

Mr Wilson (07-27-2018),TheMAN (07-27-2018)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah you're going to have to fix it. Sounds like your issues are when the vehicle switches to a closed loop fuel trim and requires the info from o2 sensors in the exhaust.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pwdunmore View Post
    1. Get your car between 1/4 to 3/4 full of gas.
    2. Car needs to sit 8 hours
    3. Drive car at 90km/h to 110 km/h for 10 to 15 minutes, then get some stop and go for another 10 to 15 minutes.

That should work for the Evap, but the cat may be another issue. Maybe a fouled sensor.
    hate to say it. but none of these things "really" matter. if the car is not in ready mode when tested it will fail. all of the modules need to be in ready mode. the gas tank level. it sitting. running it before hand mean squat if the modules are not ready. other that other stuff.. sure could help but since they got rid of the roller test its not important anymore. if it is in ready mode it can be tested anytime. hot. cold. full or empty fuel. it doesnt matter

@blackspeed3 if the car wont go into ready mode as you are allowed to have only 1 module not ready to test and if its within range it will pass. if not then you need someone to run another car that will pass while it shows yours in front of the drive clean camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the shop manual will have drive cycle procedures to let you know how to drive the car to get the monitors to go ready... if your car has issues, there's nothing you can do to let it pass except doing what you have to do to fix it
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    hate to say it. but none of these things "really" matter. if the car is not in ready mode when tested it will fail. all of the modules need to be in ready mode. the gas tank level. it sitting. running it before hand mean squat if the modules are not ready. other that other stuff.. sure could help but since they got rid of the roller test its not important anymore. if it is in ready mode it can be tested anytime. hot. cold. full or empty fuel. it doesnt matter

@blackspeed3 if the car wont go into ready mode as you are allowed to have only 1 module not ready to test and if its within range it will pass. if not then you need someone to run another car that will pass while it shows yours in front of the drive clean camera.
    You're right about the system having to be ready but gas level does matter.
    I am doing my E-test on my MS6 and I had a full tank and my Evap wouldn't cycle to test it until I got the gas level down.

OP needs to fix what ever is fouling but also needs to make sure their car meets the self test requirements.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pwdunmore View Post
    You're right about the system having to be ready but gas level does matter.
    I am doing my E-test on my MS6 and I had a full tank and my Evap wouldn't cycle to test it until I got the gas level down.

OP needs to fix what ever is fouling but also needs to make sure their car meets the self test requirements.
    might just be your car. first ive ever heard anyone say the fuel level needs to be at anything. and we have been doing etests here for years never heard a tech say oh yea this isnt ready because the fuel tank is empty. haha but again who really knows.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ALL OBD2 cars have evaporative emissions monitoring capabilities... it's done by either a leak detection pump (all of the ford based era mazdas (2003-2013) have this) or purely by vacuum.... in any case, if the fuel level is near full or near empty, no tests will be run because false positives could result

if you read the shop manual, you would know
    if you went to tech school, you would know

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMAN For This Useful Post:

pwdunmore (07-29-2018)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry guys forgot to update! Shortly after I made this post my readiness checks went down to one not ready and passed no problem. Thanks for the input