Thread: Recharging your A/C: is it necessary?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Recharging your A/C: is it necessary?

I've been reading online and I am very confused. Some say you should never recharge your A/C system if everything is operating properly. While others say adding pure 134a refrigerant/coolant will help with your cooling. My Mazda dealer says one shouldn't need to recharge the A/C either.

In particular, my 2005 Mazda3's A/C isn't quite as cool as it used to be. Additionally, in 2006 my A/C was checked at the dealer, discharged and new coolant with a dye was added under warranty for another issue. My understanding is that with the dye or lubricants, the A/C won't run as cool as one with pure coolant.

In Asia, where temperature extremes are normal, people get their A/C unit serviced and flushed too at the dealer.

Can someone shed some clarity whether or not recharging the A/C is necessary? And are specialty A/C shops are thing of the past now that can do the recharging without going to the dealer?
    Made in BC.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 643 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Recharging your A/C: is it necessary?

If the system isn't leaking, trying to add coolant isn't going to do anything. The first gen 3's were notorious for having weak AC systems no matter what you did.

- 2021 Porsche Macan GTS -
    - 2016 Lexus NX200t F Sport -
    - 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 Black Mica - SOLD -

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's so many Youtube videos, posts, and comments from A/C "experts" who recommend replacing the "old" coolant with newer 134a and pure 134a. One video says you can improve performance by cleaning your a/c condenser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_em9lm69HQ

Many A/C canisters I seen also claim to make your A/C run cooler with their product.

This youtube video shows "flushing" the A/C system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload...ature=youtu.be and topping off your coolant:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey7Vhm9ZI_U

As you say, the first gen 3s AC is shitty, but just recently, I noticed the vent temperature isn't like it was a few weeks ago. Sill, these videos are making me wonder if there is anything that can be done at this point in time to improve things.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a perfect world, no coolant top up is necessary since it's sealed. However, hoses does leak minute amounts of coolant and you will need to top of the system. In the Mazda, I had to top it off around the 9 year mark, on the VW Golf, 8 years.
    |-----> Roof Rack <-----| Thule Base Rack - Rocky Mounts Bike Tray - Thule Ski Holder
    2007 GT Sedan 5spd CWP | Rays Mazdaspeed Wheels | Tri-Point Engineering Rear Swaybar
    SPC Camber Links | Bilstein Coilovers | Tint | LED Brake

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be years of bugs and debris jammed in the condenser fins

You can try using some household foaming AC cleaner from Lowe’s or Hone Depot - spray on fins of your AC condenser - let sit for 5 minutes - hose down

Also try changing cabin filter for the same reasons.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Default User View Post
    Could be years of bugs and debris jammed in the condenser fins

You can try using some household foaming AC cleaner from Lowe’s or Hone Depot - spray on fins of your AC condenser - let sit for 5 minutes - hose down

Also try changing cabin filter for the same reasons.
    Unfortunately, I can't do any of this myself....I'd have to pay someone (dealer).