Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Guy hit me with his car on purpose and took off

I spot the ******* blocking an entire sidewalk so I shook my head at him and rode by. ******* gets triggered, drives further down the road and waits for me at the next crossing so he could hit me. Skip to about 1:00 for the moment it happens.

Props to the elderly couple, they also saw the guy hit me on purpose and stayed with me until the police arrived. It took hours for my heart rate to slow down, I was absolutely boiling with rage and wanted to tear the ****er's head off. Luckily I braced myself and maintained my balance somehow. Just have a ****ing sore back now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Guy hit me with his car on purpose and took off

How did the police respond ?
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Thanks
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 803 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel your pain as I've been through that situation before.
    With the video evidence and witnesses, the f*cker will have a challenging task defending his actions.
    If you have not done so already, see a doctor for the back pain, just in case.
    Please update with police response/charges when available.
    Last edited by SirWanker; 08-28-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 643 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could have rode behind like the other biker did...he was waiting to pull out before you got there...you had no reason to shake your head at him. I know it's tough (very tough) but you should try to keep your calm with what is said on video, telling him he's an effer and is going to jail doesn't help anything.

That said, he does deserve an assault charge for hitting you intentionally with the vehicle and you technically did nothing wrong.

Grand scheme of things biker entitlement is pretty stupid...you will always lose against a car physically, don't try to make the situation worse. I honked at a biker who rode right out in front of me in a round-a-bout today (didn't yield as he is required to, I had to brake so I wouldn't hit him), he just looks at me and gives me the finger. I think he had a helmet cam on so I'm sure it's going to get posted online somewhere with a title "******* driver honks at me at round-a-bout".

- 2021 Porsche Macan GTS -
    - 2016 Lexus NX200t F Sport -
    - 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 Black Mica - SOLD -

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    You could have rode behind like the other biker did...he was waiting to pull out before you got there...you had no reason to shake your head at him. I know it's tough (very tough) but you should try to keep your calm with what is said on video, telling him he's an effer and is going to jail doesn't help anything.

That said, he does deserve an assault charge for hitting you intentionally with the vehicle and you technically did nothing wrong.

Grand scheme of things biker entitlement is pretty stupid...you will always lose against a car physically, don't try to make the situation worse. I honked at a biker who rode right out in front of me in a round-a-bout today (didn't yield as he is required to, I had to brake so I wouldn't hit him), he just looks at me and gives me the finger. I think he had a helmet cam on so I'm sure it's going to get posted online somewhere with a title "******* driver honks at me at round-a-bout".
    I don't care what other cyclists do. They don't represent me nor do I represent them. Regardless, I might be the only cyclist in the city who stops at all red lights and pedestrian crossings. Entitlement is an interesting choice of word, considering the massive problem of driver entitlement and the epidemic of cyclist deaths who committed the crime of riding in a bike lane. Do you realize that cyclists can be fined if they exit a bike lane to go around a car that is illegally blocking said bike lane? The only legal option is to stop and potentially get rear-ended. Those are the primitive laws I have to deal with and I'm certainly not going to merge into foot traffic because of entitled ******* drivers. I'm not a reckless cyclist but I do accept the consequences of riding in this garbage city full of mental rejects and *******s behind the wheel. I have every right to shake my head at bad drivers, just like you do when you honk at them. If he chooses to commit vehicular manslaughter over a headshake, that's his choice, but I'm going to make sure he'll never get a chance to hurt someone again.

I think you should also try commuting with a bike in Toronto just to see what it's like. You can be as safe and defensive as you like, but at the end of the day your life is in their hands.

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirWanker View Post
    I feel your pain as I've been through that situation before.
    With the video evidence and witnesses, the f*cker will have a challenging task defending his actions.
    If you have not done so already, see a doctor for the back pain, just in case.
    Please update with police response/charges when available.
    Thanks, police were on the scene and took my statement. Witnesses corroborated my story that he hit me on purpose. I sent the video footage to the officer as well as stills. I got checked out by a doctor for my sore back today, will be seeing my hockey physio this week. Other than that I'm waiting to hear back from the police before I seek legal counsel. I have to see if there was frame damage to the bike, but it's definitely scratched up.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

See your doctor, make sure you're ok.
    keep us updated on the police.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Mazda View Post
    I don't care what other cyclists do. They don't represent me nor do I represent them. Regardless, I might be the only cyclist in the city who stops at all red lights and pedestrian crossings. Entitlement is an interesting choice of word, considering the massive problem of driver entitlement and the epidemic of cyclist deaths who committed the crime of riding in a bike lane. Do you realize that cyclists can be fined if they exit a bike lane to go around a car that is illegally blocking said bike lane? The only legal option is to stop and potentially get rear-ended. Those are the primitive laws I have to deal with and I'm certainly not going to merge into foot traffic because of entitled ******* drivers. I'm not a reckless cyclist but I do accept the consequences of riding in this garbage city full of mental rejects and *******s behind the wheel. I have every right to shake my head at bad drivers, just like you do when you honk at them. If he chooses to commit vehicular manslaughter over a headshake, that's his choice, but I'm going to make sure he'll never get a chance to hurt someone again.

I think you should also try commuting with a bike in Toronto just to see what it's like. You can be as safe and defensive as you like, but at the end of the day your life is in their hands.
    How is he illegally blocking the bike lane? To pull out safely a vehicle stops in the appropriate place (behind the line, etc) then proceeds forward until they have clear visibility which may involve stopping again forward of the original position, then goes when clear. The car did is absolutely right in his initial pulling out as far as the video shows. If your legal option is to stop, you should have stopped and waited for him to go...not gone in front shaking your head at him when he hadn't done anything wrong yet. You instigated this one buddy, plain and simple. Who's going to rear end you in the bike lane? Another biker? That's their fault. This is the exact entitlement crap that you say you don't do.

Just keep in mind that I agree that hitting you is absolutely wrong, you don't deserve any charges at all, he should get assault, etc...in the end he is very much in the wrong. So don't go getting your panties in a bunch over me pointing out that you did a few things that weren't quite right that could have made the situation not happen in the first place or at very least make your case an even more sure thing when shit like this does happen.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SomeGuy, are you friends with the driver caught on camera? Give it a break. Kitchener is not the same city as Toronto so not even sure why you think its worthwhile to share your stories.

Don't care if what OP did. No one deserves to get hit or run over by a car while riding their bike.

I also doubt someone like you would not Eff bomb the hell out of the situation if this happened to you. Someone just tried to intentionally hurt you. What are you gonna do? Have a come to Jesus moment and share verses from Bible on how its wrong.

Stop trolling this thread and let the OP tell us what's going to happen next.
    2004 Mazda3 Sport GT|Winning Blue| OG 2.3L @ 450,000 km & counting

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RedRaptor For This Useful Post:

Captain Mazda (08-28-2018),loki (09-01-2018),natspriceless (08-28-2018),S.F.W. (08-28-2018)

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is he illegally blocking the bike lane? To pull out safely a vehicle stops in the appropriate place (behind the line, etc) then proceeds forward until they have clear visibility which may involve stopping again forward of the original position, then goes when clear. The car did is absolutely right in his initial pulling out as far as the video shows. If your legal option is to stop, you should have stopped and waited for him to go...not gone in front shaking your head at him when he hadn't done anything wrong yet. You instigated this one buddy, plain and simple. Who's going to rear end you in the bike lane? Another biker? That's their fault. This is the exact entitlement crap that you say you don't do.

Just keep in mind that I agree that hitting you is absolutely wrong, you don't deserve any charges at all, he should get assault, etc...in the end he is very much in the wrong. So don't go getting your panties in a bunch over me pointing out that you did a few things that weren't quite right that could have made the situation not happen in the first place or at very least make your case an even more sure thing when shit like this does happen.
    Alright, I'm not gonna get into an argument with you over this, but the steps I take when pulling into a roadway are 1) Ensure no pedestrians or cyclists are crossing 2) Pull forward to get a better view of traffic 3) If it's clear, go. If I have to wait for traffic and pedestrians/cyclists are approaching, I move back out of the way and start over. There have been moments when it took me over 5 minutes to pull out of a side street in Toronto because of pedestrian traffic. That's not their fault, they have the right of way and I have the responsibility of being in a deadly vehicle. No pedestrian or cyclist is ever going to kill a driver by walking/riding into their car.
    Last edited by Captain Mazda; 08-28-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chill out people.....
    @SomeGuy - CaptainMazda was not referring to the individual who hit him as "illegally blocking the bike lane". It was an example of what can happen in Toronto to a cyclist who leaves a bike lane to bypass a blocking vehicle. The same driver should have looked both ways before proceeding.
    @Captain Mazda - I'm on your side for this but did you slow down ( as per road markings) or at least attempted to slow down prior to entering the driveway? Don't have to answer but keep that in mind.

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you mean the first driveway where I encountered him or the one where he hit me?

On the first driveway, I slowed down considerably and went around him when I was sure he wasn't moving. On the second driveway, you can see me slowing down prior to the crossing. By the time he ran into me, I was only coasting. In both instances I maintained eye contact with him. He was looking right at me when he decided to hit me.

First-hand accounts can be hazy in life-threatening situations, but the witnesses said I wasn't going fast, the driver was looking right at me, and I had no time to react. They were amazed I managed to control my fall.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, I was referring to the second driveway.
    Probably just me as from the video it was not obvious that you slowed down.
    You're fortunate to have witnesses to verify your side of the story.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaptor View Post
    SomeGuy, are you friends with the driver caught on camera? Give it a break. Kitchener is not the same city as Toronto so not even sure why you think its worthwhile to share your stories.

Don't care if what OP did. No one deserves to get hit or run over by a car while riding their bike.

I also doubt someone like you would not Eff bomb the hell out of the situation if this happened to you. Someone just tried to intentionally hurt you. What are you gonna do? Have a come to Jesus moment and share verses from Bible on how its wrong.

1) No
    2) Agreed, which I said in BOTH posts.
    3) Probably not...don't escalate. For all you know the guy could roll down his window and shoot you. Stop him safely, state facts, wait for police. Rather than (paraphrasing) "**** you I got you you're going to jail" I'd more likely say "I have this on video and am calling the police".
    4) No

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Mazda View Post
    Alright, I'm not gonna get into an argument with you over this, but the steps I take when pulling into a roadway are 1) Ensure no pedestrians or cyclists are crossing 2) Pull forward to get a better view of traffic 3) If it's clear, go. If I have to wait for traffic and pedestrians/cyclists are approaching, I move back out of the way and start over. There have been moments when it took me over 5 minutes to pull out of a side street in Toronto because of pedestrian traffic. That's not their fault, they have the right of way and I have the responsibility of being in a deadly vehicle. No pedestrian or cyclist is ever going to kill a driver by walking/riding into their car.
    Move back? Ya right...with people behind you? safely? haha once you have taken the position you are supposed to move forward to clear (similar to how you clear an intersection when turning left on a red).

Ride
    Vixxxen
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaptor View Post

1)

4) No
    Sounds like someone is asking to be put on a time out...I can help with that if you can't figure out how to stop being a troll
    My Parents bought me more Hot Wheels than Barbies when I was little...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by natspriceless View Post
    Sounds like someone is asking to be put on a time out...I can help with that if you can't figure out how to stop being a troll
    Let me rephrase my "4) No" more accurately with "4) I'm not trolling".

Just because I pointed out that he caused the situation in the first place and that bothers him, doesn't make me a troll.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SomeGuy For This Useful Post:

Milan96 (09-11-2018)

Ride
    2017 Mercedes Benz C43
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People who sit in the car and drive, think they can do anything.
    Another example was a Girl driver in Brampton, drove away after hitting someone and got taped in video like a week ago.

People should know that there is camera, dash cam everywhere and doing stupid things will eventually come back to you with a consequence.
    1994 Mazda MX-6 Mystere - SOLD
    2001 Mazda Protege MP3 - SOLD
    2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 - SOLD

BYE MAZDA

Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SKYMP3 View Post
    People who sit in the car and drive, think they can do anything.
    Another example was a Girl driver in Brampton, drove away after hitting someone and got taped in video like a week ago.
    People should know that there is camera, dash cam everywhere and doing stupid things will eventually come back to you with a consequence.
    It goes both ways and drivers are easier to be held accountible for their actions unlike cyclists.
    *DISCLAIMER* veteran cyclist and driver with 38+ years experience.
    Like Captain Mazda, I treat road cycling in the same manner as driving. It irritates me to no end when I see idiots blow through stop signs/red lights, ride on sidewalks with no regards to pedestrians, exhibiting bad road manners simply because there's no immediate means to identify them.

I understand that cycling is environmentally friendly and relatively cheap but read and learn the ****ing Driver's Handbook before hitting the road!
    It really has come to a point where licensing adult cyclists ( and e-bike riders) can't be avoided just to ensure awareness of the road laws and ease of identification.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0.000212524463 gigawatts

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DDUKI View Post
    A lot of the comments are there are basically saying the same as me...go figure.

Nice to see it hitting the news though and if there are only the 3 charges, that's rather disappointing, the driver of the car should have gotten a criminal/assault charge of some sort.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

CBC link - "Toronto police Const. Jennifferjit Sidhu said the driver is facing three charges under the Highway Traffic Act: fail to remain, fail to report incident and fail to yield to traffic."

This guy is F***ed for insurance once those convictions are posted.

Fail to remain is a Serious conviction and Fail to report is a major conviction.

When his carrier finds out (MVR/claims investigation) they will cancel him and he will have to get insured with Facility (high risk market) - which costs quite a lot.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiewan View Post
    CBC link - "Toronto police Const. Jennifferjit Sidhu said the driver is facing three charges under the Highway Traffic Act: fail to remain, fail to report incident and fail to yield to traffic."

This guy is F***ed for insurance once those convictions are posted.

Fail to remain is a Serious conviction and Fail to report is a major conviction.

When his carrier finds out (MVR/claims investigation) they will cancel him and he will have to get insured with Facility (high risk market) - which costs quite a lot.
    Assuming he actually has insurance..

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S.F.W. View Post
    Assuming he actually has insurance..
    I cant find any recent stats but I am always hearing around 30% in Ontario don't....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"He apparently told police he was looking for a parking spot, yet in the video he's leaving an empty lot," wrote the cyclist. "I firmly believe he knew exactly what he was doing and did not consider the consequences whatsoever."

Nice try. For those familiar with the area, he's pulling into the Boulevard Club. Annual membership there costs more than his Civic alone...

@OP. I'm glad this idiot was charged. I also cringe at the narrative that just because you showed displeasure by shaking your head at the driver, people think you deserved to be hit. Imagine if that was the norm. Its almost as bad as the stand your ground law in Florida.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast