Thread: Replacing an all season tire

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Replacing an all season tire

Early this morning (I think), I ran over a nail in the back passenger side tire of our 2011 Mazda3. But I didn't know right away that this had happened.

My wife and I then drove our car in the early afternoon, and noticed a droning noise on the highway and had to pull off the road to get this fixed via CAA. The tired is shredded so obviously needs replacing.

I would prefer going to my local garage -- whom I trust -- but it might take them some time to find the correct tire and one of similar tread wear to our other tires. I don't want to go to the dealer unless I really have to.

So, one of my options is to simply have our snow tires put on now, although September is a little early! Then, in the meantime, I could search around to find the correct tire and one that is worn similar to the others.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where I could fined a used tire or if my snow tire idea is crazy? I can look up the tire numbers if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Rob

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Replacing an all season tire

Your car does have abs so a new tire wouldn't affect the other tires being worn as much. Don't think you're going to be able to find a used tire, same brand, same model. If you only drive 1000k/month the winter tire wear should be minimal. Understand that winter tires don't perform well on hot roads. Less traction overall.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May be able to find a replacement at an auto recycler's yard but depending on the wear and your budget, you should look at replacing the four. Try Carcone or Dom's depending on where you are. There are also lots of used tire retailers around.

As for winter tires having less traction overall in summer, this is not true. In actual fact you have the best traction given the softer compound.

Just means they will wear down much faster as they're designed for the colder temps.

You'll also sacrifice performance as the car may feel a bit loose on the highway given the softer compound and the depth of the winter tread.
    Last edited by SonicBoy; 09-09-2018 at 06:23 PM. Reason: typo

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeff7670 View Post
    Your car does have abs so a new tire wouldn't affect the other tires being worn as much. Don't think you're going to be able to find a used tire, same brand, same model. If you only drive 1000k/month the winter tire wear should be minimal. Understand that winter tires don't perform well on hot roads. Less traction overall.
    Thanks, this is helpful. We drive close to 2,000 km / month, but we actually have another Mazda3 -- I suppose we could use that more instead.

Thanks also for the feedback re tires and treadware as well.

Rob

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBoy View Post
    May be able to find a replacement at an auto recycler's yard but depending on the wear and your budget, you should look at replacing the four. Try Carcone or Dom's depending on where you are. There are also lots of used tire retailers around.

As for winter tires having less traction overall in summer, this is not true. In actual fact you have the best traction given the softer compound.

Just means they will wear down much faster as they're designed for the colder temps.

You'll also sacrifice performance as they car may feel a bit loose on the highway given the softer compound and the depth of the winter tread.
    Thanks as well. We're on a budget, so I really don't want to have to replace all 4 tires. Going to one of the places you suggested or a wrecker sounds good. FYI, we live in East York. Thanks again, Rob

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The dealer would definitely have the right tire available and possibly more used options. So maybe I should go there? although I'm worried that they will charge me more as well. Still, it's only a tire...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think the dealer will sell a used tire.
    You can also check with 2ndtimearound tires.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S.F.W. View Post
    I don't think the dealer will sell a used tire.
    You can also check with 2ndtimearound tires.
    Thanks ... I'll try them.