Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Eonon is a scam

Let me preface this with some background information.

I ordered a D5163ZU in May of 2015 and it was garbage. These are the issues I listed for them:

-Volume knob is broken and will randomly increase volume when trying to decrease and vice versa
    -Touch screen is completely unresponsive most of the time, you have to press several times before it registers
    -Navigation crashes constantly and is extremely slow
    -SD music is awful, no proper support for album playback and it displays a weird Michael Jackson album cover for all my songs
    -Bluetooth audio quality is the worst, constant skipping makes it impossible to use A2DP
    -Backup camera screen is worthless and it's impossible to see during daytime even with max brightness, the camera itself is ok
    I complained to Eonon and they sent me a firmware update file which completely bricked it. I asked to exchange it to the GA5163 which was Android-based. After initially paying $486 and an additional $72 for import fees, I had to pay the difference for the more expensive unit as well as over $100 to ship it back to them because they only accept return shipments through their own Hong Kong courier. When I received the Android unit, I got slapped with another $90 in duties because Eonon doesn't mark warranty returns as such on their delivery form. Had to open a claim with FedEx and get Eonon to fess up, finally got a refund from FedEx after weeks of contacting them.

Onto the unit itself, I noticed it had serious parasitic draw which was draining my battery and somehow drained the battery on my fobs. I did some research and some other user had figured out that Eonon crossed the power wires for the CAN BUS and it was causing a huge parasitic draw. Eonon was made aware of the issue and their response was basically "do the thing the guy says to do". I cut and swapped the wires to fix it, but their handling of the issue was hilarious at best. Also, the performance was absolute garbage. I tinkered for months with a custom ROM until I made it usable, until one day I bricked it trying to update it. It seemed to be dead for good, so I bought their GA6163. While waiting for delivery, I managed to fix the 5163 and improved its function and performance so I sold it. I've been using the 6163 for almost two years now and it's only usable because of my custom ROM and disabling background Google services.

I found out they have a new GA9163A model which now has Android 8.0, 4GB RAM and an octo-core CPU. I thought "great, I can finally use their stock ROM since they've improved the hardware". I bought the unit on August 29th while it was still showing 4 in stock. They emailed me saying it was no longer in stock and I'd have to wait until sometime around September 29th for the new stock to come in. Just before I responded to their email, I went on their site and it was still showing 2 in stock so their claim was complete bullshit. They put a fake stock count on the website to make people buy a unit they no longer have. They have more leverage when your money is in their hands.

Last Wednesday I emailed them asking if it's shipped yet and I got some auto-response about a Chinese National Day and they'd respond by October 4th. I finally got a response 4 hours ago:

I checked the specs on the K version, it's not an octa-core CPU and only has 2GB of RAM, meaning it'll have the same lag issues as their previous units. Knowing they're full of shit, I did a quick search on their official ebay account:

Rather than give me what I paid for, they're trying to peddle their lower-end trash. The amount of hours I had to put into making their units serviceable over the past few years is testament to how bad their quality and support is. I've given them an ultimatum to send me the unit I paid for or give me a full refund to the last penny (I know they'll try to scam me at least $10-20 on the USD conversion).

TLDR: Never, ever, ever buy anything from Eonon. Don't believe anything they say, they're a Chinese scam company.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Mazda For This Useful Post:

SkyActivR (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Eonon is a scam

I have realized that eonon is junk after my first unit d5163z or something like that. Other than OEM look and Igo maps I have used, was a completely waste with crappy sound. Lesson learned, I will never buy no name audio for my cars, decks or speakers.

Sent from my Moto G4+ using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the GA6151F and it's ridiculously slow and even after an official ROM upgrade from them. It takes 5-10mins for apps to function. It boots fast, but things haven't really fully loaded yet.

I was planning on buying their newer models, but the lack of support software support for old models and ignoring the same issues between each model made me stay away. It seems like they stopped responding on M3F
    @Captain Mazda what custom ROM did you load? Worth tinkering/risking a brick?

2009 Mazda 3 GS Metro Gray Automatic

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using the Malaysk ROMs for years but software can only do so much. I'm using a special microG version on the 6163 that has removed Google services background processes which these 1GB units just can't handle.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to know, always see these units for sale on mazda forums and was tempted.

Sponsor - GTA Retrofits
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 541 Posts
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wonder what would have happened if you spent that extra $200 on a deck from pioneer, kemwood etc... Probably happy the first time.
    Modifications? I've forgotten more than I remember. Click here for the list.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    Wonder what would have happened if you spent that extra $200 on a deck from pioneer, kemwood etc... Probably happy the first time.
    Maybe Less not extra, he bought three of these crappy units.

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Their OS has limited functionality, that's why modders are putting custom ROMs on them as well. I also don't like the ugly non-factory look with the edges sticking out.

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiviuTincu View Post
    Maybe Less not extra, he bought three of these crappy units.

Not exactly, the first unit was a defective WinCE piece of shit and I opted to replace it with an Android version. I modified the 5163 and turned it into a great unit which someone here bought and enjoys. They finally upgraded the hardware with the 9163, but the issue here is their atrocious lack of customer service and the nerve to accept payment for something they claim they don't even have.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regardless, you should have known that eonon is pos after first unit.
    They have no tech support and costumer service, or the support is a joke let's say at least, I bet the units are just assembled by eo-no-no with common components you can find in different decks, low quality of course. Main function of the"radio" is to emit signal for sound, and the sound coming out from that junk is crap doesn't matter which model it is. I won't give up sound for touch screen, backup camera, lights and other useless functions, but this is me, you have probably other expectations .
    Good luck with the new one.
    Advice for new people who are looking to buy eonon , don't!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Mazda View Post
    Not exactly, the first unit was a defective WinCE piece of shit and I opted to replace it with an Android version. I modified the 5163 and turned it into a great unit which someone here bought and enjoys. They finally upgraded the hardware with the 9163, but the issue here is their atrocious lack of customer service and the nerve to accept payment for something they claim they don't even have.
    I had the 5163 and never had issues with it. You're right though, dealing with the company wasn't as smooth as you would want when spending over 600 CND on a ICE unit.

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regardless, you should have known that eonon is pos after first unit.
    They have no tech support and costumer service, or the support is a joke let's say at least, I bet the units are just assembled by eo-no-no with common components you can find in different decks, low quality of course. Main function of the"radio" is to emit signal for sound, and the sound coming out from that junk is crap doesn't matter which model it is. I won't give up sound for touch screen, backup camera, lights and other useless functions, but this is me, you have probably other expectations .
    Good luck with the new one.
    Advice for new people who are looking to buy eonon , don't!

So you've established that all you want is a radio. Great, I'm happy for you, not sure what you're doing in a thread about touchscreen decks. I personally like having navigation, support apps, music, backup camera, and other useful functions and never having to touch my phone or tinker with third-party navigation tools while driving. The peak output from my 6163 is just as good as units double its price so you're reeeeeally out of your element here. There is a major difference between WinCE and Android so no, the units were not comparable and you seem confused as to what the real issue here is. It'd be like never buying any Mazda model because the Tribute was a piece of crap. The newer Eonon units are fine if you have the know-how to install a custom ROM on them. What wasn't fine was when they sold me an "out of stock" product and then tried to peddle lower end hardware to make up for it. It's their customer service and business practices that makes them a scam company, but they also happen to be the only company selling units that fit my car properly without the hideous gaps that you get with Pioneers and Kenwood. My custom 6163 is far more versatile and functional than the closed units you get from the "better" brands.

For example, you can't install Poweramp--which is undoubtedly the best and most powerful Android music player--on Pioneer or Kenwood units because you're limited to what's available in their very limited app framework. You also can't leave a 32GB microSD card filled with music into those units and play your music collection locally while keeping bluetooth/nav functions. I don't like to fill up my phone with music nor do I stream music unless I'm biking/commuting on transit. With streaming, you can't even listen to music if you're underground without data.

Pioneer and Kenwood units have a restrictive OS. Sure they might be fine for the average person but I've never been one to pay for more and settle for less.

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah, I would've just ended up with a closed-source unit that looks hideous and can't be improved in any way. Pioneer and Kenwood have great hardware but their software is no good. AA alone doesn't change that.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you've established that all you want is a radio. Great, I'm happy for you, not sure what you're doing in a thread about touchscreen decks. I personally like having navigation, support apps, music, backup camera, and other useful functions and never having to touch my phone or tinker with third-party navigation tools while driving. The peak output from my 6163 is just as good as units double its price so you're reeeeeally out of your element here. There is a major difference between WinCE and Android so no, the units were not comparable and you seem confused as to what the real issue here is. It'd be like never buying any Mazda model because the Tribute was a piece of crap. The newer Eonon units are fine if you have the know-how to install a custom ROM on them. What wasn't fine was when they sold me an "out of stock" product and then tried to peddle lower end hardware to make up for it. It's their customer service and business practices that makes them a scam company, but they also happen to be the only company selling units that fit my car properly without the hideous gaps that you get with Pioneers and Kenwood. My custom 6163 is far more versatile and functional than the closed units you get from the "better" brands.

For example, you can't install Poweramp--which is undoubtedly the best and most powerful Android music player--on Pioneer or Kenwood units because you're limited to what's available in their very limited app framework. You also can't leave a 32GB microSD card filled with music into those units and play your music collection locally while keeping bluetooth/nav functions. I don't like to fill up my phone with music nor do I stream music unless I'm biking/commuting on transit. With streaming, you can't even listen to music if you're underground without data.

Pioneer and Kenwood units have a restrictive OS. Sure they might be fine for the average person but I've never been one to pay for more and settle for less.
    El Capitan, you have a problem, you have started the thread eonon is a scam and now you are defending it. .
    Pioneer is restrictive for a reason, maybe too much for you to understand why that is. Besides the units you had, there are many other, obviously not in your price range, and Pioneer is light years ahead of eonon.
    You are able to install custom ROM not because the unit is great, what are you smoking?
    If you still have problems to understand what I said, let me know, I can do a quick sketch to help you out.
    Last edited by LiviuTincu; 12-14-2018 at 06:20 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which one to install? Won't matter if you have eonon.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow thats shitty news. hopefully they will get you your money back. is there not a way you can report the company to fraud or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

El Capitan, you have a problem, you have started the thread eonon is a scam and now you are defending it. .
    Pioneer is restrictive for a reason, maybe too much for you to understand why that is. Besides the units you had, there are many other, obviously not in your price range, and Pioneer is light years ahead of eonon.
    You are able to install custom ROM not because the unit is great, what are you smoking?
    If you still have problems to understand what I said, let me know, I can do a quick sketch to help you out.
    Yeah, the whole condescending tone doesn't work when you don't know the difference between WinCE and Android LOL

Go eat a Snickers or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    wow thats shitty news. hopefully they will get you your money back. is there not a way you can report the company to fraud or something?
    I got the refund about a week later, surprisingly didn't skim on the conversion either.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, the whole condescending tone doesn't work when you don't know the difference between WinCE and Android LOL

Go eat a Snickers or something.

I got the refund about a week later, surprisingly didn't skim on the conversion either.
    When you write these judgments is a 5 year old kid behind you who is telling what to say or comes straight from your head? Have you determined that I don't know the difference between wince and android same way you realized eonon is crap , after 3 tries ? Wake up capitan !

Last edited by LiviuTincu; 12-14-2018 at 09:55 PM.