Thread: 4th Gen Mazda3 owners: are you considering the upgrade to Android Auto/Carp Play?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 3rd Gen Mazda3 owners: are you considering the upgrade to Android Auto/Carp Play?

I understand it's around $450 to upgrade including labour at the dealer. I haven't heard much it's a worthy upgrade and if you lose certain features like HD Traffic map, OEM Nav mapset (GT models), etc.
    Last edited by Google; 10-12-2018 at 09:21 PM.
    Made in BC.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 3rd Gen Mazda3 owners: are you considering the upgrade to Android Auto/Carp Play?

2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

3. The Following User Says Thank You to S.F.W. For This Useful Post:

Google (10-25-2018)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 4th Gen Mazda3 owners: are you considering the upgrade to Android Auto/Carp Play?

it's worth it as the 3 years free map update goes out... would you pay for more crappy map updates, or just have live, constantly updated maps off the internet WITH true live traffic data, from your phone? Contrary from what Mazda tells everyone, it's possible to run Google Maps from an iPhone now... it's no longer exclusive to Android users... Apple has opened this possibility with their latest software update recently

you can save a lot of money with DIY, but it's not an easy thing for everyone... the hardest part for most people is the software upgrade process... it's very easy to screw it up because there are specific steps you must do... the other part that could be tough for others are taking apart the interior without breaking things... as winter sets in, the plastic will get brittle from the cold... you'll want a heated garage before you take on this challenge!
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 4th Gen Mazda3 owners: are you considering the upgrade to Android Auto/Carp Play?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    it's worth it as the 3 years free map update goes out... would you pay for more crappy map updates, or just have live, constantly updated maps off the internet WITH true live traffic data, from your phone? Contrary from what Mazda tells everyone, it's possible to run Google Maps from an iPhone now... it's no longer exclusive to Android users... Apple has opened this possibility with their latest software update recently

you can save a lot of money with DIY, but it's not an easy thing for everyone... the hardest part for most people is the software upgrade process... it's very easy to screw it up because there are specific steps you must do... the other part that could be tough for others are taking apart the interior without breaking things... as winter sets in, the plastic will get brittle from the cold... you'll want a heated garage before you take on this challenge!
    I think the map upgrade cost is ridiculous. We never were satisfied with the mapset anyway. The other option is buy yourself a Garmin GPS with lifetime maps and live traffic. I completely agree with your comment on taking a DIY approach. It's not worth the frustration. There's many steps involved.

What most people aren't aware is there's not many useful apps that you can use with Apple Car Play: https://imgur.com/a/ifuZgXn

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    I think the map upgrade cost is ridiculous. We never were satisfied with the mapset anyway. The other option is buy yourself a Garmin GPS with lifetime maps and live traffic. I completely agree with your comment on taking a DIY approach. It's not worth the frustration. There's many steps involved.

What most people aren't aware is there's not many useful apps that you can use with Apple Car Play: https://imgur.com/a/ifuZgXn
    If you get a stand-alone GPS, you'll end up with 3 screens... gps, phone, the car's screen. I prefer a cleaner approach, but I still think $500 is a bit pricey.

I use Waze and Spotify on a daily basis, so for me it will be nice to see them on the built-in screen instead of playing around with the phone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sebi View Post
    If you get a stand-alone GPS, you'll end up with 3 screens... gps, phone, the car's screen. I prefer a cleaner approach, but I still think $500 is a bit pricey.
    Of course, having two screens instead of three is preferred. But costs come into play. Ideally, one screen would be great. In newer Mazdas, the screen size has been reduced giving you even less screen real estate.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    Of course, having two screens instead of three is preferred. But costs come into play. Ideally, one screen would be great. In newer Mazdas, the screen size has been reduced giving you even less screen real estate.
    The screens are still 7", just the bezels got a bit smaller.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sebi View Post
    The screens are still 7", just the bezels got a bit smaller.
    Hmm. The salesman said the screen is now smaller and it looks smaller to me but I never measured it.