Thread: 2015 Mazda 3 GT Bose speaker rusting

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2015 Mazda 3 GT Bose speaker rusting

Three years into owning my GT with tech package, i.e. Bose system and other electronic goodies, the Bose front subwoofer started to vibrate with a resonance like putting a coin on a speaker at a certain freuency.

After numerous head scratching and searching, I decided to take apart the door panel to see if there was a loose screw or something. To my surprise, the base of the Bose speaker where the membrane is attached to the speaker frame has rusted causing the membrane to separate from the frame!! The resonance came from the membrane vibrating freely at certain lower frequencies.

The fix? Used Epoxy cement to glue the membrane back with extra covering the frame to prevent from further moisture damage. So far its working, and the speaker sounded normal so far.

The bigger question is, after taking apart the door panel, I see that there is very little shielding material available to prevent moisture from getting to the components in the door panel, I know Mazda was trying to trim weight, BUT hey MAZDA this is unacceptable when moisture is damaging components causing problems.

Do anyone have similar issues? Post it here...
    Last edited by MZR3; 10-16-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2015 Mazda 3 GT Bose speaker rusting

Quote Originally Posted by MZR3 View Post
    Three years into owning my GT with tech package, i.e. Bose system and other electronic goodies, the Bose front subwoofer started to vibrate with a resonance like putting a coin on a speaker at a certain freuency.

After numerous head scratching and searching, I decided to take apart the door panel to see if there was a loose screw or something. To my surprise, the base of the Bose speaker where the membrane is attached to the speaker frame has rusted causing the membrant to separate from the frame!! The renonance came from the membrane to vibrate freely at certain lower freuencies.

The fix? Used Epoxy cement to glue the membrane back with extra covering the frame to prevent from further moisture damage. So far its working, and the speaker sounded normal so far.

The bigger question is, after taking apart the door panel, I see that there is very little shielding material available to prevent moisture from getting to the components in the door panel, I know Mazda was trying to trim weight, BUT hey MAZDA this is unacceptable when moisture is damaging components causing problems.

Do anyone have similar issues? Post it here...
    No similar issues here, but some advice; Throw that Bose shit out and get a real system, and you can buy speaker baffles for the door speakers which will prevent water from actually hitting the speakers.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im experiencing the same issue! I had to turn down the bass all the way to negative so that it wouldnt rattle my doors.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't there is a direct replacement for the Bose door speaker, given the weird size and impedance. Not sure if you follow the US forum, there is lot son good info over there, for example: https://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...e-systems.html

I added a small powered sub (8" JL Audio, using an LOC which plugs directly into to HU wiring) and replaced the dash speakers with Infinity's and I'm quite happy with the sound.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[removed duplicate post]
    Last edited by Sebi; 10-19-2018 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Duplicate post...

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's a common issue... lots of people talking about it on the US forums
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sebi View Post
    I don't there is a direct replacement for the Bose door speaker, given the weird size and impedance. Not sure if you follow the US forum, there is lot son good info over there, for example: https://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...e-systems.html

I added a small powered sub (8" JL Audio, using an LOC which plugs directly into to HU wiring) and replaced the dash speakers with Infinity's and I'm quite happy with the sound.
    How muxh were the infinity speakers?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squall458 View Post
    How muxh were the infinity speakers?
    I paid $130 from Crutchfield.ca, just checked now and the newer version is $150 (I got the REF-3022cfx model): https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_108R303...F-3032cfx.html

I'm sure you can get them cheaper! The upgrade is really worth it, easy to install. Once you take out the Bose paper cones, it becomes obvious that they need to go!